Which ruins can you climb?

Tigergenesis

I'm considering a cruise on the Holiday that stops in Progreso. It looks like Carnival offers excursions to Uxmal, Dzibilchaltun and Chichen Itza. I am only interested in ruins that you are allowed to climb. I just returned from Belize and enjoyed climbing one of the ruins that was 112 feet. My dad will be with me on my next tour and I know he'd love the opportunity to climb some ruins - especially if there is a wonderful view at the top.

Of the ruins available at this port, which can you climb (and if the height is known that would be helpful as well).

I know that you can climb Dzibilchaltun. It is not a huge ruin, but it is still very nice. I don't know how tall it is. There is actually a couple of different ones on the site that you can climb.

If I ever get the opportunity, I'd love to do Chichen Itza. I'd just be afraid do it through the cruise lines. I don't like to hearded like cattle, and I'd be afraid we'd drive a loooong way and then have 15 minutes to see the ruins.

We went to Uxmal on tour from Costa ship- enjoyed it very much. It was not crowded and not commercialized. My mom (in her 70's) climbed the pyramid while DH and i watched. I told her i could walk up ok but would have to come down on my bottom lol - no guard rails and too scary for me. Had lunch in the mexican restaurant there - food was very good.

kj

Archived