Help with Rome and Florence Tours, please!

I am a travel agent and have a client who does not wish to book their excursions through the cruise line, but they are trying to stay within a very reasonable budget. The other thing is that they do NOT want an all-day tour in either port. They would like something that will get them back to the ship by 4-ish so they can change and eat dinner on the ship. Obviously, this is a challenge. I have told them that Rome is somewhere you really want to spend the money on a private guide if at all possible. It is a mother in her early seventies and her daughter. The daughter recently had some abdominal surgery and although she will be fine to travel and walk, she doesn't think she has a nine-hour day in her yet. Their cruise is November 10. The private guide my boss used in Rome was Bob's Limousines and she was very happy with that, but they were in a limo and it was pretty pricey.

Having said all of that, does anyone have a recommendation for a company or a trustworthy individual guide that will pick them up at Citavecchia and at Livorno at the ports, and drive them to Rome and to Florence and do a guided tour that does not last ALL day and does not require a second mortgage? LOL In Rome they would like to include the Vatican, of course. I know this is a lot of information I'm asking for, and I can certainly find guides by Googling and I'm familiar with shoretrips.com but I would love recommendations and would feel better about that if possible. Thanks so much for any information!

Check the following thread out. Many suggestions and some with short term excursions. We are going in June and are also looking for short excursions for my 80 something parents.

Also, I think that Bob's has smaller cars.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=637408

PS - We live in TN, also! NE - Tri Cities.

He is definitely the way to go. We just used him and he was wonderful... quite the comedian. We were laughing the whole way to Rome... he is very entertaining, and extremely conscientious. He may not be the most knowledgeable guide you will find, but we completely enjoyed our day with him.

His prices are also a little lower, by the way. And he wants to go the extra mile to make sure his clients are happy. I wholeheartedly recommend him.

Archived