Istanbul luggage

sabaka

Wondering what time we have to leave the ship in Istanbul at the druation of our cruise? We have a flight the same day but in the evening. We are planning to try to arrange some sort of day tour of Istanbul but are wondering what to do with our luggage. Any sugguestion would be GREATLY appreciated!!! Are there any good companies like George in Athens, lotacted in Istanbul?

Istanbul is kind of tough. Why not let SB set you up with a tour agent and driver..{possibly one and the same}..then your luggage would travel right along with you. This can be done while you are on board. It is a city where you leave nothing to chance! Our Driver even took us into the airport...took us to the head of a LONG line...and put us right through. It is a "bustling" airport....nice to have aid.

Sabaka,

If Seabourn is doing your air, then not a thing to worry about. They will put you up in a hotel so you can shower, nap and relax until the transfer to the airport. There was an opportunity to do a short city tour as I remember based on our experience in Chile.

When we left the ship in Valpariso, Chile we were taken by a coach to a wonderful hotel in Santiago and provided a room until our transfer to the airport. Our flight didn't leave until 10:30 PM.

If you are doing your own air, then disregard the above!

Cheers,

Capt. John

We have used some of our airline miles and booked our own flights so unfortunantly Seabourn is not obligated to us. How long of a drive is it from the port to the airport as we may try to check bags early or use a locker. LaPoloma's suggestion is an idea, however we'd like to have it arranged ASAP.And not have to wait until be are on board. We are use to bustling airports Hubby is an airline Captain and I was an attendant for 10 years. Even in Russia we found that at the airport he has an invisible information sign above his head that everyone sees but us! It has become a running joke! Last visit leaving Moscow we paid for a private service that leads you though and to the front of the line. We did this as we were adopting and wanted no problems. To make a long story short we were abandoned by our aid and ended up helping others! We did however get a full refund as we used a good company to book the service!

The Istanbul airport is about 20 minutes from the Sultanahmet or old city ( where the major tourist attractions are -- Blue mosque, Topkapi Palace and the Aya Sofia)-- allow more time if you are coming directly from the cruise ship port on the other side of the bridge ( depending on the time of day there can be alot of traffic in the area by the cruise port just north of the bridge.)

I am going to tell you what you don't want to hear. I too was an airline hostess...Istanbul airport is more like a large cattle yard. It is third world chaos beyond imagination. I truly don't think that you can do better price wise....or info wise than to do it aboard ship. They are pros...and will set you up with a driver that meets the ship...and you are in their hands. The Market place that you will be seeing is again...immmmmmmense...and you do need a guide. I know that you know about pick pockets..be prepared! In retrospect...You would have made a good deal to get the "package" from Seabourn...in places like this..it is well worth it. We make our own plans some places...but in places like Istanbul..it is nice to be "back in the womb".

Archived