Brand new to cruising...question

I'mwithhim

Hi. Having spent the past 8 years at AI's in Cuba and the DR, we opted for a different type of holiday this time. We are brand new to cruising...as a matter of fact, I didn't think I would ever get DH on a cruise ship. Now that we are booked on the Sun for Feb 23rd/08 he has all these questions that I can't answer...hopefully someone can help.

1) DH loves to have a couple bottles of beer in the room. Are there mini fridges? We are booked in an outside stateroom if that helps. Can you buy beer to take back and keep in the room?

2) What is the surcharges on the restaurants?

3) He really wants to see the ruins...but which are the best? Belize or Tulum..or does anyone else have a recommendation.

All advice and information is openly welcomed and appreciated.

for your questions about ruins, you can get some great answers at the port-of-call board for each port:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5

i am doing lamanai in belize, just because i like what i found on this site:

http://www.belizeexplorer.com/cgi-local/explorer.cgi?db=explorer&uid=default&Category=Mayan+Sites&view_records=1&nh=6&mh=1

what i learned about tulum is cozumel, it's a LONG day's trip.

i can tell you more about lamanai when i get back in just over 30 days.

Few extra pointers.

You can buy drinks and take to room, or order room service, but former option is better. Most, not all ships have fridge.

Ports of Call will give you more options on tours. Always mention which cruise you are on, as there are many.

SOME restaurants have surcharges. Many people never go to any of them, so do not feel you have to do that.

Make sure you go through some reviews of your ship and itinerary - see REVIEWS at top of this page.

When posting new messages, try to be descriptive. You might get better answers.

Enjoy. 99% of the people do.

for your questions about ruins, you can get some great answers at the port-of-call board for each port:

http://www.belizeexplorer.com/cgi-local/explorer.cgi?db=explorer&uid=default&Category=Mayan+Sites&view_records=1&nh=6&mh=1

We're booked, thru the SUN, for Lamanai in JAN - & so we'll await, with baited breath, your review of the trip; & hope you get back to the ship in time to catch the last tender. LOL

You will love Lamani, it is beautiful, and the ride there is a lot of fun.

i know it sounds silly, but i am more excited about lamanai then the whole cruise. the camera is ready and photos will be posted soon after my return. DH gave me a choice of this or tulum, after much research i made my choice...the reviews i have been reading have been excellent. not just for the ruins, but for this type of tour. bus to river boat to ruins...should make the time fly. the port-of-call board for belize was very helpful.

regarding the original post: you can buy beer or drinks at the bars and take them back to your room you can not buy any alcohol in the ship's stores and take it back. they hold those purchases until the last night.

there are several speciality restaurants...surcharges will vary between restaurants. even then a couple of the surcharges dinings have special dishes are that more. check the nightly newsletter to see when or if a 1/2 prices is available. some of the ships have a 1/2 prices after 9pm.

the one thing to keep in mind when booking these all-day excursions...if you book through NCL, the ship will wait for you or they will make arrangements to get you to the next port. i have done tours through local vendors, but in some of these ports..i am going with the ship's tour.

whatever you decide to do, have a great time.

i know it sounds silly, but i am more excited about lamanai then the whole cruise. the camera is ready and photos will be posted soon after my return. DH gave me a choice of this or tulum, after much research i made my choice...the reviews i have been reading have been excellent. not just for the ruins, but for this type of tour. bus to river boat to ruins...should make the time fly. the port-of-call board for belize was very helpful.

regarding the original post: you can buy beer or drinks at the bars and take them back to your room you can not buy any alcohol in the ship's stores and take it back. they hold those purchases until the last night.

there are several speciality restaurants...surcharges will vary between restaurants. even then a couple of the surcharges dinings have special dishes are that more. check the nightly newsletter to see when or if a 1/2 prices is available. some of the ships have a 1/2 prices after 9pm.

the one thing to keep in mind when booking these all-day excursions...if you book through NCL, the ship will wait for you or they will make arrangements to get you to the next port. i have done tours through local vendors, but in some of these ports..i am going with the ship's tour.

The ruins in Belize were beautiful - but the boat trip was a painful ride - literally. They usually offer a Ruins/City tour, knowing what we know now, that is what we would have done and recommend.

Here's the link to my very detailed review of the excursion earlier this year:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=499272&page=4

The Belize part is on page 4, post #65.

Hi Cathi - I am also very exited about the excursions in Belize, but am confused regarding Lamanai and Altun Ha. Are they the same site? I did not see an excursion offered for Lamanai, we are on the Spirit for the Feb 10th departure. The boat ride to Altun Ha sound miserable! Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Cathie

NCL provides the following tour:

Lamanai & The New River Safari

An approximately 45-minute drive up the Northern Highway brings you to Tower Hill, where you'll board a riverboat and head up the New River. While navigating the many little creeks and lagoons, it is easy to encounter hawks, kites and falcons. Dainty Jacanas lightly walk on the lily pads while the crocodiles bask in the sunlight. At the entrance to the New River Lagoon, the ruins of Lamanai (Mayan for "submerged crocodile") rise into view. As you tour the site, huge masks depicting dead rulers and gods seem to materialize out of the rainforest, amid the chatter of birds and the haunting call of the howler monkeys. Note: Lunch is provided.

We did this in Feb. 06 and had a blast! The buses were comfortable and air conditioned. The guide who remained with your group the entire time, (exclusive of tending time) was easily understood and unbelievably knowlegeable about both the history and enviroment of the area. The transfer stop at the New River had a clean comfort station, free cold bottled water was available, and some local hand crafts for sale. Nothing living, or dangerous and it was only about a 20 minute stop. The speed boats we boarded had overhead covers but were open sided. It was fun fast ride with a few photo stops along the way. We were served a wonderful lunch under the thatched roof hut when we first arrived at Lamanai. There is a very clean and modern comfort station attached to the on site archeological museum found there. You then head off down the jungle paths accompanied by the tree top monkeys and your guide to discover the various ruins and temples. The only complaint I had was there was a group of really young disruptive kids who ran and climbed in and on areas they shouldn't have. The parents thought it was amusing while the guides and the rest of the group had differing opinions to say the least. I wouldn't hesitate to do this tour again. Here's a few pics of our trip:

http://picasaweb.google.com/oLEEander/Belize

this website has both ruins listed. no, they are not the same place. belize has most mayan history, some still being unearthed. i don't thing you can go wrong with any of them, but then i like this type of stuff. we don't do city tours, a fast boat ride on the river is more our thing.

http://www.travelbelize.org/maya_index.html

this is the only all-day tour we are doing. one day on the ship, one day at nachi cocom (beach), 1/2 day ruin tour out santo tomas.

Hi Cathi - I am also very exited about the excursions in Belize, but am confused regarding Lamanai and Altun Ha. Are they the same site? I did not see an excursion offered for Lamanai, we are on the Spirit for the Feb 10th departure. The boat ride to Altun Ha sound miserable! Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Cathie

My mistake - you're right, we went to Altun-Ha. The ruins were beautiful, very peaceful and serene. I stand by the rest of my review for the boat ride :) You were allowed to climb on one of the formations as well...

My Altun-Ha scrapbook page

Cathie

Two entirely different sites!

I did the Lamanai excursion and the boat ride there is a lot of fun.

Lamanai is a spectacular ruin.

The excursion is an all-day one - so I recommend taking it through NCL - just to make sure the ship waits if there are any delays.

Hi. Having spent the past 8 years at AI's in Cuba and the DR' date=' we opted for a different type of holiday this time. We are brand new to cruising...as a matter of fact, I didn't think I would ever get DH on a cruise ship. Now that we are booked on the Sun for Feb 23rd/08 he has all these questions that I can't answer...hopefully someone can help.

1) DH loves to have a couple bottles of beer in the room. Are there mini fridges? We are booked in an outside stateroom if that helps. Can you buy beer to take back and keep in the room?

2) What is the surcharges on the restaurants?

3) He really wants to see the ruins...but which are the best? Belize or Tulum..or does anyone else have a recommendation.

All advice and information is openly welcomed and appreciated.[/quote']

I know you can buy wine on board and have it in your cabin if you may a corkage fee, but can't bring alcohol to your cabin that you buy in port. Not sure about beer. Cruise Lines do have drink cards that you can buy. In other words you can pre pay and buy a card for unlimited drinks throughout the cruise. The drinks you get from the bar you can take to your cabin.

There are mini fridges in the cabins and they are filled with alcohol, sodas, snacks and you are charged for what you use. If you need the fridge to put yor own things in there the cabinsteward can remove the stuff so you have the room.

Surcharges are $15 to $20 but there are port days or certain times that they are half price on the surcharges.

Tulum is not all that impressive as far as tuins go so Belize would be a better choice if you have to choose. But that being said, the interesting thing about Tulum is the location. I have to wonder how the people that built up there got up there in the first place.

We are not doing your cruise, but are going ont he Star next week.

Have an awesome cruise. We have been on a lot of cruises and I think we are addicted to cruises.

... Cruise Lines do have drink cards that you can buy. In other words you can pre pay and buy a card for unlimited drinks throughout the cruise. ......

WRONG. Please clarify what cruiseline does this, as NCL does not, except in very rare group situations, that nobody does anyways.

... Surcharges are $15 to $20 but there are port days or certain times that they are half price on the surcharges. ....

Assume you are talking about restaurants, not booze. Usually, at least on NCL these half price are actually 2 for 1 for EARLY reservation.

I know you can buy wine on board and have it in your cabin if you may a corkage fee, ....

If you buy the wine onboard, you do not have to pay an extra corkage fee. You can take that wine anywhere on the ship you want.

ncl has a soda card, not a drink card. (unless you are with a very large group, then they have a special alcohol card that the whole group has to buy). can't bring beer on-board, either. they do have a helmet special...but 5, get 6.

it's been reported that cagney's steakhouse surcharge has been raised...$25 for the normal menu, $30 for the porterhouse, lobster and such. (the menu has the items separated). the spirit doesn't have refrigs in cabins except for the suites (the star has refrig in all cabins).

ncl has a soda card, not a drink card. (unless you are with a very large group, then they have a special alcohol card that the whole group has to buy). can't bring beer on-board, either. they do have a helmet special...but 5, get 6.

it's been reported that cagney's steakhouse surcharge has been raised...$25 for the normal menu, $30 for the porterhouse, lobster and such. (the menu has the items separated). the spirit doesn't have refrigs in cabins except for the suites (the star has refrig in all cabins).

This will be our first cruise on NCL and also our first freestyle cruise, but we have cruised many other lines. We prefer mixed drinks and wine and don't drink beer so don't know for sure about beer on any cruise.

We generally only travel with large groups so I guess that explains why we get to purchase these drink cards.

On some of the other lines we had to pay a fee (corkage) if we bought liquer in the liquer store and wanted it in our cabin. If NCL does not have such a few that will be great with us.

As for the service charges, the jury is out as to whether we will like the freestyle concept. We booked the cruise for the price and itinerary and because our group is going. The cruise line is giving us an early seating for the whole cruise in the Aqua Dining room and I hope the food is good.There are too many of us to try out the restaurants together and sit together, but some of us may try a few. But we will not likely pay $25.00 to $30.00 extra to eat in a cruise ship restaurant. That concept kind of takes the "free" out of freestyle.

We kind of like the old days when all cruise ships had the best of food and service and did not charge extra for it. We tend not to do specialty restaurants on other traditional cruise lines either.

Jeanne

WRONG. Please clarify what cruiseline does this, as NCL does not, except in very rare group situations, that nobody does anyways.

Assume you are talking about restaurants, not booze. Usually, at least on NCL these half price are actually 2 for 1 for EARLY reservation.

If you buy the wine onboard, you do not have to pay an extra corkage fee. You can take that wine anywhere on the ship you want.

I think it is fantastic that we will not have to pay a corkage fee. We were on RCCL, HAL and Oceania and all charged us a corkage fee if we bought alcoloh in the liquor store and took it to our cabin. Glad to hear NCL does not. We dont drink beer so I don't know about beer on any line.

We generally only travel with large groups so perhaps this is why we get these pre paid drink cards. We love it and people in our groups like it as well.

The half price or two for one we were told that this was the case (dining) for both very early and very late dining times.

We will not pay $25 to $30 extra for dining. That concept kind of takes the "free" our of "freestyle."

We don't care much for specialty dining on other lines though either. Guess we are used to the good old days when cruise lines offered top notch food and service without charging extra for it. Times are changing indeed, and there is something for everyone on a cruise.

I hope the food is good in the main dining room. NCL is giving us an early seating for the entire group in the Aqua dining room so we can be together. I hear some of the other restaurants cannot accomodate large groups so we would have to split up anyway.

everthing was top notch on the star, that's why DH has gotten excited about cruising (again) and we are booked on the spirit. we aren't planning on any of the specialities this next cruise, we only did cagney's (last cruise) because some of the family are steak/taters people.

here's some of the menus...you just have to look through them to find the names for the dining venue on your ship. all cagney's, le bistro and such are the same menu. but some ships have different restaurants then others.

http://www.webshots.com/search?query=ncl+menus&new=1&source=chromeheader

the specialities, especially cagney's and le bistro, are very small rooms.

not all specialities have surcharges, on the star...endless summer...was very good, great location. some ships have a tapas bar...sorry to say the spirit has neither endless summer or a tapas. i asked DH if he intends to try any of the surcharges on the spirit, he just rolled his eyes...he loves the main dining rooms!! for us, freestyles RULES!!!

Cathi,

Thanks so much for sending this link. I am passing it along to others that are traveling with us.

Because of the size of our group and the fact that most are used to traditional dining we have a group seating in the Aqua dining room on the Star. The menu is diverse from day to day and offers much of what we are sued to on other cruises so if the food is prepared well and the service is good we will all be very happy campers.

I also love the fact that the activities are what I had hoped for. We are baby boomers and love 50's through 80's music and the shows seem awesome too. I am going to start packing tomorrow. Can't wait! :p

Jeanne :)

Past cruises too many to mention

future:

NCL Star 11/08/07

HAL Westerdam 4/6/08

Carnival Triumph 5/10/08

RCI VOyager 9/27/08

Archived