Advice From Some Of The Sea People

loveshack

Hi All -

can any of you that have experience in the seas answer this question:

What does this mean? This is weather in the gulf of mexico - I have friends on a cruise this week and this is their first.......

TODAY AND TONIGHT... S OF 22N W OF 93W NW TO N WINDS TO 35 KT DIMINISH TO 25 KT LATE TONIGHT. SEAS TO 16 FT SUBSIDE TO 9 FT LATE. ELSEWHERE W OF 93W N TO NE WINDS 20 TO 30 KT DIMINISH TO 20 KT LATE. SEAS TO 12 FT SUBSIDE TO 6 FT LATE. E OF 93W N TO NE WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. SEAS 5 FT. SCATTERED SHOWERS AND ISOLATED TSTMS.

25.gifWED... W OF 93W NW TO N WINDS 20 TO 25 KT. SEAS 10 FT. E OF 93W NW TO N WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. SEAS 6 FT. SCATTERED SHOWERS AND ISOLATED TSTMS S PART.

25.gifWED NIGHT AND THU... S OF 22N W OF 94W NW TO N WINDS 15 TO 20 KT. SEAS 7 FT. ELSEWHERE N TO NE WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. SEAS 5 FT. SCATTERED SHOWERS S PART.

25.gifFRI... NE WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. SEAS 7 FT IN NE SWELL

THANKS!

It means ... Put the Patch on and hold on tight.

No really, 6-10 foot swells are nothing for a large ship. Wind of 20 kts means it will be windy on deck. You'll feel the boat rockin' but it won't be bad.

Hi All -

can any of you that have experience in the seas answer this question:

What does this mean? This is weather in the gulf of mexico - I have friends on a cruise this week and this is their first.......

TODAY AND TONIGHT... S OF 22N W OF 93W NW TO N WINDS TO 35 KT DIMINISH TO 25 KT LATE TONIGHT. SEAS TO 16 FT SUBSIDE TO 9 FT LATE. ELSEWHERE W OF 93W N TO NE WINDS 20 TO 30 KT DIMINISH TO 20 KT LATE. SEAS TO 12 FT SUBSIDE TO 6 FT LATE. E OF 93W N TO NE WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. SEAS 5 FT. SCATTERED SHOWERS AND ISOLATED TSTMS.

25.gifWED... W OF 93W NW TO N WINDS 20 TO 25 KT. SEAS 10 FT. E OF 93W NW TO N WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. SEAS 6 FT. SCATTERED SHOWERS AND ISOLATED TSTMS S PART.

25.gifWED NIGHT AND THU... S OF 22N W OF 94W NW TO N WINDS 15 TO 20 KT. SEAS 7 FT. ELSEWHERE N TO NE WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. SEAS 5 FT. SCATTERED SHOWERS S PART.

25.gifFRI... NE WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. SEAS 7 FT IN NE SWELL

THANKS!

Seems like the highest is 35 knots, thats nothing for any cruise ship, would be awesome if we got 20 - 30 knots of wind when we race our sailboats here in San Diego.

What you posted above is just a regular day at sea.

Fred

That is a really cool website! Thanks for sharing!

My pleasure!

I use that site often.

The site updates every six hours so what you're looking at right now is a bit dated. Check back occasionally to see what the current forecasts are.

Thanks to all of you seasoned cruiser and ship experts!! I wasn't sure and I want them to have a great cruise and when I saw all that info, it scared me!!! :eek: :)

anything over 1 foot sounds big to me!!

Machman - thanks for the website and I always love reading your reviews! you are awesome!

Thanks to all of you seasoned cruiser and ship experts!! I wasn't sure and I want them to have a great cruise and when I saw all that info, it scared me!!! :eek: :)

anything over 1 foot sounds big to me!!

Machman - thanks for the website and I always love reading your reviews! you are awesome!

:o

Thanks!

Thanks for the link! Looks like I'm in for some smoooooth sailing on the Conquest next week. :D

Yeah... It sure does flatten out quick, doesn't it??

The darker the hues the smoother the cruise.

On my Conquest cruise we NEVER saw anything over four feet. On the morning we arrived in Grand Cayman the sea was FLAT! It looked like a southern pond on a windless night, except MUCH larger. Just beautiful.

I hope you have as good a time as I did on the Conquest. She's a wonderful ship!

Still curious about one thing though -

how high do the swells get for the ship to rock noticeably and get alot of people sick? If there are 6-9 ft swells, is that just normal and everyone goes about their business without any difficulty?

My 4 year old niece is on her first cruise this week from New Orleans (left yesterday) and I was just curious......

THANKS FRED too for your input! You are always so informative.

I was in 18 foot seas on the Inspiration and although you could tell the ship was moving there was nothing violent about it in the least. It was more amusing than anything else. You could no longer spot the tipsy cruisers by walk alone!

;)

Archived