Shore Excursion Companies

dudepigeon

i am a first time cruiser and this has probably been posted, but i have not been able to find it, so please - no flaming!

We are going to Belize City and Cozumel in April on the Navigator of the Seas and I was wondering about shore excursion companies. It will be my wife, 10yo, 13yo (both boys) and me. does anyone know of reputable excursion companies in these locales? also, how much time do you really have (after tender transit, etc) to do an excursion?

thanks so much for the help!

There is no flaming here, you are at the family board. :D

What kind of excursion were you looking to do? I have never gone off and done excursions with locals, I buy them through the cruiselines. But I have hopped in a taxi at certain ports and gone to do our own thing.

So what did you want to do? Lay on a beach? Sightsee? Something with a little adventure?

well we live 10 min from the beach in florida, so we have our fill of the beach. more the adventure type. i have seen the cruise sponsored excursions. my younger son wants to see the mayan ruins, beyond that we are open to anything. would that be best done in cozumel or belize? would the cruise sponsored tours be best or should we consider others?

thanks

this link may help you:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5

from the belize board, i learn more about lamanai (ruins) and the river boat safari...booked it through NCL...just because our port time and the lenght of this tour are very close and i didn't want to worry about it. many are booking the same type of tour from local vendors.

on the cozumel board, i leaned about nachi cocom, a all-inclusive beach. but there are many more exciting things to do.

the experts on these boards may be able to help with local tours.

Island Marketing for tours in both Cozumel and Grand Cayman that were great.

I've done ship tours and private tours. What I usually book depends on what I really wanted to do and the price (ship vs. private). Nosing around over on the Ports Of Call board you can come up with some awesome things to do and very reputable vendors, but it depends on how comfortable you are exploring on your own. Typically if I'm booking private, I book a morning tour and give myself the other half of the day to A.) BEST case scenario, shop and explore near the port, B.) WORSE case scenario, find a way back to the ship should something unexpected happen.

Archived