Pregnant and cruising with a 10-month old

bb215

I'll be cruising on RCCL's Explorer of the Seas in December at which time I will be 22 weeks pregnant and my daughter will be 10 and a half months old. I've just got a few questions for the experienced cruisers out there:

1) Is the ship's water safe for me to drink and safe to use in infant formula?

2) I've read that it's a good idea to bring an inflatable tub/pool if you don't have a bathtub in your stateroom. Will the standard inflatable infant tub fit in the shower on the Explorer? Does anyone have any suggestions on which tub/pool to buy?

3) Do most people bring their infants to the main dining room on formal nights? How "formal" are infants expected to dress?

4) Are infants welcome to the the shows at night? (assuming they are not fussy...I wouldn't think of sitting through a show with a cranky baby) And how late/early are the shows?

5) Last question...The ship will be leaving from Bayonne, NJ in December. Does anyone know how many days before it reaches warm weather? I'm trying to figure out how much winter clothes/summer clothes to pack.

Thanks!

Wow, you don't waste any time, do you? ha ha ha

I'll answer the questions I think I can...

First, as far as I know, the water on your ship will be safe to drink. If you're really unsure, ask that one on your cruise line forum.

I can't answer any questions about staterooms on the Explorer, but I have seen many posts about bringing them. I'm sure someone will be able to answer this one for you.

I haven't had the personal experience of seeing many infants on the cruises I've been on. I think that it will depend on how your baby is feeling and how well she tolerates the formal dining room. Give her some test runs and see how it works. If she's able to sit through the meal and not disrupt any other diners, then formal night is no different than any other. I'm not sure there's really any rules for infant formal wear... but if it were me, I'd take the opportunity to put on the cutest 'picture' outfit you've got!!

Again, for the shows, it's going to be a judgement call on your part. Nobody is going to have a problem with a baby that is sitting quietly or sleeping on your lap. Sit in a seat that gives you easy access to an exit so that you can take her out quickly and with the least amount of fuss if you need to. Ships generally have an early and late show for any of the main entertainments. You may find the earlier one better while she's still awake and happy, or if she's a good sleeper, perhaps the later one will work better if she can sleep through it. Again, try some test runs if you can.

I recommend checking your ship's itinerary and then trying to determine the weather changes from that. You can check average temperatures online for various locales. Take a sweater that you can pack in your diaper bag and keep it handy for the first and last few days that you're not sure about. It's never that far to your cabin, either, so if you need to change, it's not a problem.

Hope I helped!! Enjoy your cruise!!

WOW. Congrads! How very exciting! We have cruised with a 10 mo old

1) Is the ship's water safe for me to drink and safe to use in infant formula?

The water on all main cruise lines is safe for drinking (potable). The BR tap is the same as served in the DR. It is filtered very well. Safe for both you and baby.

2) I've read that it's a good idea to bring an inflatable tub/pool if you don't have a bathtub in your stateroom. Will the standard inflatable infant tub fit in the shower on the Explorer? Does anyone have any suggestions on which tub/pool to buy?

We just went to a dollar store and got a tiny pool. Toys r Us has a pool that has a sun shade . I have looked but cannot find the link. Someone posted the name of it. Maybe a question asking about the pool with sun shade will get you the answer. The little pool was a life saver at bath time. It was nice for splashing but great at bath.

3) Do most people bring their infants to the main dining room on formal nights? How "formal" are infants expected to dress?

We took her each night. The first night, the maitre d' came to us, asking for her likes and dislikes. Each meal she had pureed fresh fruits and vegs. They will do meat if you wish. She does not eat any meat products. We dressed her in sundresses and in fancy party dresses (like an "Easter" Dress).

She had a high chair and was very well treated by staff. (We did have some issues with all the stranger wanting to touch her on deck and hold her. Some ladies even wanted to pick her up out of her stroller, Staff was never the issue, passengers were) If she got fussy, one of us (we took turns) left with her. We tried to return dor dessert but that did not always work out. Early dining is best.

4) Are infants welcome to the the shows at night? (assuming they are not fussy...I wouldn't think of sitting through a show with a cranky baby) And how late/early are the shows?

There is a show after diner most nights. We would take her and sit more to the back at the end of a row or at a small table in the rear, so we could exit it needed. Most nights she slept even with all the noice about 1/4 into the show.

5) Last question...The ship will be leaving from Bayonne, NJ in December. Does anyone know how many days before it reaches warm weather? I'm trying to figure out how much winter clothes/summer clothes to pack.

When you are near Florida, you will be in warm waters. Before that, maybe SC fo GA but I would plan on FL. I would say Sun plan on warm temps on ship deck. Then on the return on Sat plan on cool to cold temos once again. I especailly like the NY sailings in the colder weather. It makes us get back in touch with the temps instead of just flying home from FL to freeze!

Have a wonderful time! Don't forget tons of diapers (they are costly in ports) and whatever the special bedtime toys/blanket/nuks, etc are.

I'll be cruising on RCCL's Explorer of the Seas in December at which time I will be 22 weeks pregnant and my daughter will be 10 and a half months old. I've just got a few questions for the experienced cruisers out there:

1) Is the ship's water safe for me to drink and safe to use in infant formula?Is it safe yes. If you are like me you can bring bottled water for the formula. Ships today use a reverse osmosis but if you are a paranoid mom then do what makes you feel better.

2) I've read that it's a good idea to bring an inflatable tub/pool if you don't have a bathtub in your stateroom. Will the standard inflatable infant tub fit in the shower on the Explorer? Does anyone have any suggestions on which tub/pool to buy? There are a couple of threads on the first two pages. I think on page 1 you'll see one for a 9 month old I believe on there there is talk about a tub and I know about the inflatable pool. On page 2 of this forum there is one called something like a picture of a blowup pool. Both threads have links for purchase of that pool. That blowup pool with sunshade will probably be a tight squeeze in some/most of the showers. I would say that a standard inflatable tub should be able to fit. Worst case is you angle it in there is usually no lip or not much of one separating the shower from the rest of the bathroom.

3) Do most people bring their infants to the main dining room on formal nights? How "formal" are infants expected to dress? I would have brought my son at that age and probably just put a nice shirt and pants. You can decide how dressy but I like the above suggestion of take advantage of a family portrait.

4) Are infants welcome to the the shows at night? (assuming they are not fussy...I wouldn't think of sitting through a show with a cranky baby) And how late/early are the shows? Just make sure you are sitting within easy access of an exit. Show times can vary and there are usually two shows a night.

5) Last question...The ship will be leaving from Bayonne, NJ in December. Does anyone know how many days before it reaches warm weather? I'm trying to figure out how much winter clothes/summer clothes to pack. Can't help here since I've never left out of a Port outside of Florida.

Thanks for the great suggestions!

I think I will bring a few bottles for excursions and for the rest of the trip, I will trust the ship's water. I've also read from other posts that it is safe to drink.

As for bringing my daughter to formal dining, I think I will try it and if she gets upset, we'll just remove ourselves. No big deal. She's got a pretty good temperament, so I don't foresee any problems, but babies can be unpredictable so I'll just have to have a back-up plan.

I just wasn't sure if it was appropriate to bring an infant...don't want to get dirty looks from other cruisers, that's all.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the great suggestions!

I think I will bring a few bottles for excursions and for the rest of the trip, I will trust the ship's water. I've also read from other posts that it is safe to drink.

As for bringing my daughter to formal dining, I think I will try it and if she gets upset, we'll just remove ourselves. No big deal. She's got a pretty good temperament, so I don't foresee any problems, but babies can be unpredictable so I'll just have to have a back-up plan.

I just wasn't sure if it was appropriate to bring an infant...don't want to get dirty looks from other cruisers, that's all.

Thanks again!

You will take away some peoples only reason to cruise if you remove your daughter right when when she starts to make a fuss. Don't be so mean, let her carry on for a few minutes and then on top of the stares you will get some gasps and a little talk behind your back.:rolleyes:

Have a great trip!

Karysa

Archived