Meneire's Disease

shashy

Hopefully you will not have a Meniere's attack while on the cruise. You should be fine if you don't have one, but as you know if you have a Meniere's attack no matter where you are it will be awful. Make sure to bring your meds with you and try to worry about it.

Also, do you have try Meniere's or just some imbalance and vertigo that has been misdiagnosed as Meniere's?

Wore a patch. Wasn't nauseated at all, but couldn't stand up in the Disco. Just couldn't get my balance. Was extremely dizzy. Diamond Princess is the largest ship I've cruised on and the Disco is at the very top.

We're leaving in 4 days for the Carnival Spirit, a smaller ship. Have been taking Bonnine (Meclazine (sp?)) at night for about a week now. It's what my Dr. originally suggested, so am giving it a try. Am hoping this will do the trick.:D If not, I've still got the patch, pressure point wristbands, and a battery-operated motion sickness wrist thingy. I'm determined to enjoy this cruise to it's fullest.:p

You should ask this question on the Disabilities board on here, if you haven't already.

A friend of mine has balance problems due to a different disability (not Meniere's) and she says her balance is actually better on the ship than on land. I haven't been on a cruise yet, so don't know if my balance will be better or not (due to another different disability, also not Meniere's), but that would strike me as funny if it does get better when I do get on the ship next year!

There's an anti-motion sickness herbal remedy I came across on the Web called MotionEaze that is s'posed to be good for Meniere's, too. (For really bad Meniere's, they also have a more concentrated form of the same herbs - I forget the name of it, but it is on the same Web site, so if you find the MotionEaze site, you'll find the other product, too. I hear you can get MotionEaze at Wal-Mart for cheaper, too.)

My husband was diagnosed with it this past year, and we just returned from a cruise in September. No problems with the cruising nor with the long flights. My husband flies a lot for his job, and noticed that when he was in the air (pressurized cabin), his ears would open up and not be quite as plugged or tinny sounding. After landing, however, within 1/2 hour, he would encounter the same stuffiness. He told his ENT about this and was told by the ENT several of his patients had mentioned this to him. The long and short of this is several months ago my husband had tubes put into his ear (actually baby size tubes) and his ears have been fine since. He did custom order ear plugs for his ears for swimming and showering, but did not need to use them while snorkeling in Hawaii. No more scuba diving for him though. I hope this helps you some.

Archived