Captain Marvins

Angel59920

I used them in 2002 and had a great time. Pictures (taken with a Fuji disposable water camera) at: http://cafekarina.org/cruise/cayman.html

From my cruise review:

Grand Cayman - Captain Marvin's ( http://www.captainmarvins.com ) tour was fantastic. There were about 30 people from Voyager, Carnivals' Victory and Inspiration. We went out on a cabin cruiser and it was so nice to just sit on the top of the front (can you tell I don't know from boats?) and watch the scenery and ocean pass (sun tan lotion is a must for this excursion). We took the 3 hour tour which stopped at

• The Water Gardens - eh. it was ...nice, but not terribly inspiring snorkeling.
  • Sting Ray City - not at all like I imagined it, but quite cool. Got to pet and hold sting-rays. Got a super-hickey on my hand from being slightly off when feeding one a squid piece.
  • The Barrier Reef - wowsers. I could spend the rest of my life snorkeling there. It was gorgeous.

I would like to know if anybody has used them for the stringray tour and if you liked them or not? Thanks so much

The guides were very nice and helped you if you needed help with the gear...etc Plus thier excursions dont have as many people as the ships. We actually had enough to charter our own once ( 12 ) and that was great. Check out thier site site... captainmarvins.com

I would like to know if anybody has used them for the stringray tour and if you liked them or not? Thanks so much

It has been a few years... but we did use Captain M - great time, much smaller group than with cruise line....would book again if we return to Grand Cayman anytime

It has been a few years... but we did use Captain M - great time, much smaller group than with cruise line....would book again if we return to Grand Cayman anytime

Capt. Marvins is a top notch operation. We used them in Nov. last year and it was one of the most professional tour operators. We always use independent operators and they were excellent!!!

By the way, we purchased a DVD from them. I was a little nervous since we had to pay for it upfront and it was to be mailed to us about two weeks later. I can't remember the exact cost, I think $50 or so. It was an awesome DVD. There was plenty of footage of all of our group and it was set to music. It was well worth the money!!

I forgot about the DVD! It is really awesome. They hand-delivered the DVD to us at the condo. I contacted them in advance giving them the time and date of our excursion (to make sure they'd be on our excursion). I need to look around for the DVD...It lists their name and their e-mail address. Captain Marvin's would also have this info. They're the ones that gave it to me. :)

I'm considering doing the Stingray City plus the Island Tour with our family next month. The Cm website says that the island tour includes Hell and the Turtle Farm, but what about the Rum Factory? Does anyone know for sure.

Thanks!

I don't know for sure (you could e-mail them and ask). My guess is that you'll go to the little Rum Cake Factory that's next door to the old Turtle Farm. This is just down the street from the new Turtle Farm. You can sample and buy rum and rum cakes here, along with other island souvenirs. Our favorite rum cakes said "Hook" on the from and they were "hurricane" flavor (choc and vanilla swirl). We found these on a table inside the snack bar area at the new turtle farm.

Here's probably what you'll do...

You'll drive down the 7MB stretch.

They'll stop and the Gov. Mansion and you get to take a look (you stay on the bus).

They'll stop at the old shell house (you stay on the bus).

Then you'll go to Hell. There's more than one place to stop at Hell, but I don't know how they decided which they go to. The first time we were there, we used the ships excursion and we stopped at the one with the smaller gift shop. Another time we had a rental car and we drove to the other one. It's the place that has the red building and has the guy that dresses live the devil. There's also two cutouts-a devil and and angel-i believe- for picture taking (that you stand behind). These are both pretty close to one another, but again, I don't know how they decide which one they go to. There's also an deck where you stand and look at the rocks, which is i believe where Hell gets its name.

Then you'll stop at the Rum Cake Place.

Then you'll stop at the turtle farm.

This may vary in order, but this is where we've always seen the tour buses. It's a good way to get an idea of what the island looks like. We did this the first time we were there, and loved the place, so now we go back for land vacations. We actually prefer the East End of the island. More islandy. :)

Thank you for the info. That sounds exactly like what we want to do either before or after Sting Ray City!

We certainly enjoyed our tour. After the tour or stingray excursion (whichever you do last), CM's will drop you wherever you want (along the 7MB stretch) or take you back to their office. To get to their dock, you'll drive up the 7MB stretch and turn next to where the Courtyard Marriott is located. So if you want to do some beach time/lunch, you could have them drop you at Sea Grape or Royal Palms. I'd probably go with Royal Palms since it's closer to the port area and that will give you more beach/lunch time. Then just grab a cab and head back to the port. Or if you just want to eat and shop, you can go back to the port area.

Have a great time! :)

Question regarding Captain Marvins & tour time/tendering:

Do we have time to do a 1/2 day excursion if our ship is in port 8am-4pm? We'd like to do the Hell/Turtle Farm tour as well.

I was told by CM's that this tour would get us back by about 3pm... last tender leaves at 3:30... I know this is cutting it pretty close

how long (on average) does it take to get through the tender line??

Thanks

I'm not sure, I booked with them for the short excursion so then I wont be left behind..I really don't care to see HELL because all it is, is black rocks and a post office that stamps your postcards with HELL. I think I can go without that. I read about the turtle farm doesn't sound to good to me....Well I hope you get the answer that you are looking for. Sorry I couldn't be much help.

Question regarding Captain Marvins & tour time/tendering:

Do we have time to do a 1/2 day excursion if our ship is in port 8am-4pm? We'd like to do the Hell/Turtle Farm tour as well.

I was told by CM's that this tour would get us back by about 3pm... last tender leaves at 3:30... I know this is cutting it pretty close

how long (on average) does it take to get through the tender line??

Thanks

As long as you're in the tender line, you'll be fine. They won't leave you behind (if you are indeed in line). One night, while we were having dinner at Breezes, we overheard the couple at the next table talking about their tender line. They sat and enjoyed the view and had a drink until the tender line was short, then scooted across the street. Now I don't think I'd cut it that close, but I think getting back at 3:00 will be fine.

As far as how long it takes, it depends on how long the lines are. There always seems to be one last tender that only has a few people on it. We always use Captain Marvin's and have never had any time issues. They do this all the time, so if they say it will work, I'd go for it. :)

I'm afraid that I wont make it to the company in time, How long does it take to get off the ship when you are tendering?

It seems like it took us 4 or 5 minutes to get from the ship to the port and then it's another 4 minutes or so to walk to CM's office. If you have any time concerns, e-mail Joan or Ruth and they'll tell you if time will be an issue for you. They do this everyday and they know what passengers on what ships do what excursions. They've never led us down the wrong path.

One time we were in there office (we were setting up a tour while we were visiting the island) and they were busy accommodating the cruise ship passengers whose time on the island had changed. They knew that the ships were leaving early because of a storm that was coming, so they were shifting the tours around a bit. At any rate, they do this all the time and they'll get you back to your ship on time and if they think the time won't work, they'll tell you.

Whatever you end up doing, have a great time! :)

For those of you who have been, would you recommend the half day excursion, snorkeling at the Barrier Reef and the Coral Gardens, or will that be too much snorkeling? Also from the ship to CM's, do you take a cab? How much does it cost, if so?

Thanks!

Archived