Samana to Cayo Levantado

JWestShuh

Does anyone have any information about independent vendors for boats to Cayo Levantado from Samana? I am hoping that I will be able to get there myself rather than paying the $69 dollars each on NCL's tour. We are planning on whale watching and the tour leaves from Cayo Levantado. Any info would be appreciated!

countdown.pl?name=JWestShuh&date=3-9-2008&image=Beach-2&text=&ship=Norwegian Dawn

Could anyone tell me their experience with Norwegian Cruise line's $29 excursion to Cayo? What I am really looking for is the time the excursion leaves in the AM. Or has anyone participated in the whale watching and Cayo Lev. excursion? If so, could you tell me a bit about it? Thanks!

From what I understand, Samana is a new port to NCL and VERY disappointing to those who just venture off the ship to wander.The town has nothing to offer I've read on CC. I was in DR, Jack Tar Village all inclusive many years ago, and although I had a great time back then; I do remember that in order to go onto the beach or beyond the resort they had armed guards at all points. Even the airport had soldiers with guns standing everywhere. I still had a great time but I'm older now and the world has changed. I don't think I would feel comfortable doing that anymore. I think I would prefer to stay on the ship, relax, and wait for Tortola. We have booked Virgin Gorda for that!

I believe the excursion from the NCL ship to Cayo leaves at 10:30. It is actually $33 pp. I will be on the Dawn 1-06 and I am thinking of doing this also. I could never just stay on the ship. Even though this is considered a third world country, it is something to experience. I don't think NCL would bring us to a dangerous area. There is also an excursion about kayaking(which I have never done) and then after that they take you to Cayo for the rest of the aftenoon. A little more expensive though. $ 69 ??

I was at Cayo Leventado in March 07. It is a beautiful lush tropical island with beaches. There is music, food and delicious tropical drinks for purchase. There are also vendors selling all sorts of different crafts. The islanders are very accomodating and as soon as we got off the tender we were greeted with a nonalcoholic punch. The island also provided lounge chairs to sit on. I would highly recommend it. When I was aboard the Dawn they seemed to have constant shuttle tenders going back and forth from the boat to the island. I have a hard time believing that the shore excursion could possibly get sold out. It seems there was just about ongoing service all day. Also, while I was on Cayo there were men in boats circling the island all day. I was told it was to prevent individuals from Samana from running their own pay shuttle service to the island. If you are looking for a beach day, I highly urge you to go to Cayo.

I have a hard time believing that the shore excursion could possibly get sold out. .

Well as per Pam in the excursion department, it is. I too found it a bit hard to believe and have made several phone calls to check for cancellations, so far no luck. I definitely want to go and don't mind taking a ferry or boatride over that is not an NCL excursion, but would want more info first.

Well as per Pam in the excursion department, it is. I too found it a bit hard to believe and have made several phone calls to check for cancellations, so far no luck. I definitely want to go and don't mind taking a ferry or boatride over that is not an NCL excursion, but would want more info first.

When I went to Cayo we booked aboard the Dawn and had no problem. In fact, some members of our group booked that day to go and had no problem. I would definitely recommend Cayo so as soon as you board the ship while everyone is at the buffet go to the shore excursion desk. Also maybe the ship doesn't know in advance how many tenders they will have transporting people to and from so they set a limit when doing the advance booking. We definitely used tenders run by the island and there were lots of them. The Spirit was also in Samana the same day we were so the tenders were accomodating two ships. There was no problem.

Bisous3, I am currently trying to confirm with an independent vendor an excursion that combines whale watching and a cayo lev. beach break. When are you going on your cruise? When I find more information would you be interested?

I was at Cayo Leventado in March 07. It is a beautiful lush tropical island with beaches. There is music, food and delicious tropical drinks for purchase. There are also vendors selling all sorts of different crafts. The islanders are very accomodating and as soon as we got off the tender we were greeted with a nonalcoholic punch. The island also provided lounge chairs to sit on. I would highly recommend it. When I was aboard the Dawn they seemed to have constant shuttle tenders going back and forth from the boat to the island. I have a hard time believing that the shore excursion could possibly get sold out. It seems there was just about ongoing service all day. Also, while I was on Cayo there were men in boats circling the island all day. I was told it was to prevent individuals from Samana from running their own pay shuttle service to the island. If you are looking for a beach day, I highly urge you to go to Cayo.

hi jack chris

so, did you do the tour exc thru ncl? or did u do it on your own?

How much is it to do it on your own to take a ferry to the cayo? Is it really not safe? anyone that has done it w/out the ship's exc please let me know...thanks

Could anyone tell me their experience with Norwegian Cruise line's $29 excursion to Cayo? What I am really looking for is the time the excursion leaves in the AM. Or has anyone participated in the whale watching and Cayo Lev. excursion? If so, could you tell me a bit about it? Thanks!

We took the whale watching trip last year and it was worth every penny. Our tour operator was extremely good and we were able to see many whales. Mothers and babies came right by our boat. We were able to get pictures of a whale breaching the water, many fin pictures and rising to breath pictures. We were able to spend every minute following whales. Our tour guide was very respectful of not bothering the whales activities/ or spooking them but put us in good places to watch them. He shared a lot of information with us about the whales and the area, Samana. He worked as a tour guide for the resort that is on the island by Samana when he was not working as a tour guide for the ships. The other boat that went out was not as fortunate with there tour, there guide stayed closer to the shore and only saw a few whales. I am going again to Samana next week not in whale watching season and I am very nervous. Last year the tours that went to other cities were wanting there money back because they took them to towns that were not open for business, tour guides could not speak english to tell them what was going on around them or tell them were there were taking them. I did not hear any positive reports on the other tours. The town right off the dock is very disappointing as a port stop. There is a little dusty place that the local vendors go to to sell there stuff to us. There are two shops that have some wood carvings and a little jewerly. You will have many people coming up to you to sell you stuff. But I still think it is worth checking the town out. I had a gentleman make me a necklace in hemitite with a whales fin so I could remember the wonderful time I saw the whales in DR. I also bought a wood carving of a whale to put in my house as a memory. Both pieces helped a local make some money to live on and both were very reasonable priced. Have a great time!:rolleyes:

Thanks for the info lala1330. I was wondering if you could tell me the name of the tour group as well as the price if possible. I am looking for a good whale watching excursion and am trying to get it together before the trip, and there aren't very many resources out there. If you could let me know when you get a chance, I would appreciate it. Also, if you know if there is a ferry to get out to Cayo Levantado would you let me know? Thanks in advance.

Whale watching season in Samana is only available January 15 through March 15th. Look on the following websites to find information about possible whale watching excursions during this time. http://www.whalewatchsamana.de/index.html. This is the website I used to research different whale watching tours in the area. I still haven't received a confirmation from any of the companies though:( If I find anything out, I will be sure to post it. If for some reason I was unable to do the tour, I was thinking of going to the El Limon falls instead. Here is the website for more information: http://www.samana.org.do/el-limon.htm

Archived