What Did Ya'll Do in Port?

globe9

I am leaving this Sat. for Progresso and Cozumel on the Fantasy. I've been to Cozumel about 15 times, so I know what to do there, but I've never been to Progresso and was wondering what you guys have done there? I'm posting here b/c there isn't much activity on the Progresso board at all and like someone else said, it's mainly Carnival ships docking there. I'm not a "beach" person and was thinking of heading into Merida to check out the architecture, shopping, etc. How far away is it from the pier? How long does it take to get there? What time should I leave Merida to be back at the ship about 1 1/2 hours before it leaves(I don't like to cut it close :) What did ya'll do in Merida? Thanks!

I am leaving this Sat. for Progresso and Cozumel on the Fantasy. I've been to Cozumel about 15 times, so I know what to do there, but I've never been to Progresso and was wondering what you guys have done there? I'm posting here b/c there isn't much activity on the Progresso board at all and like someone else said, it's mainly Carnival ships docking there. I'm not a "beach" person and was thinking of heading into Merida to check out the architecture, shopping, etc. How far away is it from the pier? How long does it take to get there? What time should I leave Merida to be back at the ship about 1 1/2 hours before it leaves(I don't like to cut it close :) What did ya'll do in Merida? Thanks!

My first cruise in October of last year was on Ecstasy, and my mom and I did the Merida city tour and some kind of ranch rodeo thing or something, don't remember the exact name. We HATED Merida City, BUT, having said that, at that time I had never been out of the United States before and it made me nervous not seeing anything that I recognized!!:eek: :o Progresso did not impress me that much at all, but when I was there in Sept. i did a beach break with drinks and food included in the price, and while I'm really not a beach kind of person either, I did bring a good paperback book and read and watch other people and it was really fun!! Progresso is definitely not "tropical" and it is certainly not like any port you have seen in your life!! I'm also not into "ruins" either so that being the case it seemed to me to not be much to do there. Good luck!!:)

We did the Meridia shopping/sightseeing tour in Sept. of this year. It was a nice short (maybe 20 or 30 minute) bus ride. Our guide was very interesting and informative. They steered you to shop in only a couple chosen stores but we ventured off a little on our own within the time frame given. We loved it. We felt very safe at all times in the city. It was a challenge because they don't speak English in the shops and we don't speak Spanish. Somehow you overcome the language barrier if you want to shop! The old church and the government center are awesome. It was a good experience. We went through the ship but I would go into town again on my own if we ever return to that port. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the replies! I leave tommorow and am excite about Merida. I know it's not the usual tropical port, but I'm usually way more interested in different cultures and architecture than the beach, so I think it will be fun. It will also be interesting to see how good my high school and college spanish has held up after all these years. Hopefully good enough to get around and to shop :D I'm guessing that most of the stores there will not take US$ but pesos? Any more tips would be appreciated.

Thanks again!!!

Thanks for the replies! I leave tommorow and am excite about Merida. I know it's not the usual tropical port, but I'm usually way more interested in different cultures and architecture than the beach, so I think it will be fun. It will also be interesting to see how good my high school and college spanish has held up after all these years. Hopefully good enough to get around and to shop :D I'm guessing that most of the stores there will not take US$ but pesos? Any more tips would be appreciated.

Thanks again!!!

Good luck, and have fun!! My kids loved a picture i took of a stop sign in Merida City that said "Alto" instead of "Stop"!!:D

Thanks again!!!

I would take small bills into Progreso to limit the amount of Mexican money you get for change.

If you have time to read the Progreso section under PORTS on this board, they will give you some more ideas.

Have a great cruise. If Henny "Papa Smurf" is still onboard, tell him that DJ said for Funship Freddie to "get back in the box"!!

Archived