Camcorder or not

buddysmom

I'm going to lug mine again this time on the Elation and try to make a video like the Gatorclaw ones, his videos are the best.

Valor: http://www.gatorclaw.com/voyageofvalor.html

Destiny: http://www.gatorclaw.com/sevendays.html

Liberty: http://www.gatorclaw.com/liberty.html

Conquest: http://www.gatorclaw.com/conquest

Fred

LOVE LOVE LOVE his videos!

HI, we are leaving on sat 11/10 :D for our sun 11/11 cruise to the Bahamas on Carnival Sensation:D .We are 1st time cruisers and have never been to any island.I'm planning on bringing 2 water cameras and 3 disposable cameras and my digital camera.I LOVE PICTURES:)So my question is should I bring my camcorder?It sounds like a good idea but I'm not too sure. Thanks Jess p.s. sooooooooooo excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My personal experience is..... on our first few cruises I took a camcorder. The first one was a VHS ...... remember those.... it was a monster compared to today's versions. So.... I got an 8mm which is much smaller and has a digital capability (although on 480X640 stills). I used in on a number of trips and found we just were not watching the tapes.

So.. with the new digital cameras, I picked one up......and I have now "worn" out two of them. On some trips I even carried the camcorder and digital camera.

I find it is much easier to share digital photos, I look at them more ofter (they are on my computer), I can refer to them easily like when responding to CC'ers, and they are much easier to store.

I will typically take on average 200 pic per day (during our Aus/NZ/Fiji trip I took over 5500). I can then cull them, trim down for a slide show for family and friends, and trim them down even more for a photo album.

So.... bottom line for me is I stick to digital stills and leave the camcorder home. ;) :D

We use to take our camcorder on our cruises, and every time had such a problem with condensation each time. We decided it was,nt worth the aggrevation of dealing with that. We just take our digital camera now, but be careful using it on a beach, because of the wind blowing sand. That will really mess one up. Our friends who went on our last cruise with us, had to put theirs in the shop and have some sand cleaned out of it.

• 2 weeks later...

I heavily endorse learning how to use your video camera feature on your digital camera.

PROS: it's so convienient to carry just a small pocket camera and you can take stills and video.

CONS: quality isn't quite as good.

All of the video from my Destiny and Valor videos is from a little digital camera. Most shoot at DVD quality picture and frame rate now (but it is still a little jerky, and you can't zoom- but I think the convinience FAR outweighs the quality difference). Just get like a 4 GB card or two (or three!) for it so you'll have enough room for your photos and video.

However, bringing a miniDV camera isn't a bad idea, but it is a lot of extra bulk to travel around with, so it's not as convienient. But if you feel like you have the extra room- take it. You don't have to use it if you don't want to.

I've never heard of such a thing. Do I live under a rock or what? :p What a neat invention!

I know, it was the most amazing thing. My mom and I just walked up on it. And it was perfect. We had video from our wonderful trip without all the extra weight of a regular camcorder.

Archived