Your opinions of the Belize Zoo

jillmar

My husband and I were thinking of visiting the zoo. Is this an interesting tour for adults or is it more for children? We love nature and animals but I have seen many zoos in my lifetime and I am not really interested in seeing more animals in cages. I would be interested in hearing how you liked the zoo. Thanks for your help!:)

We loved the zoo.....but....I'm a substitute teacher and give talks to classes about the Rain Forest animals. I got some good pictures of unusual animals for the kids: howler monkies, spiker monkies, tapiers (my favorite), picarries, huge termite nests.....

Plus, my daughter was only 8 at the time and we went for her....she loved it.

Go to their website: www.thebelizezoo.com/

We were at the Belize zoo just about 2 weeks ago. We went with my kids who were a little tired at the time. There are a few things that I would tell you before you decide to go or not. It is a fair drive from the port, maybe 30-45 minutes. The zoo is not that large, maybe an hour and a half to 2 hours, if you are really looking at the animals and the information. There were some animals not on display while we were there (toucans and something else that escapes my mind.) This is not a zoo like we are used to. It was more of an animal sanctuary. That being said, I really liked it. There were so many animals that I have never heard of. They were in very natural habitats that sometimes made it hard to find them, but very real. It was very informative and interesting to me. Make sure to wear bug spray and take a water bottle, there were no concessions that I noticed. Hope that helps you.

Never been to a zoo that is really like the animals natural habitat! My 3 year old loved it---the howler monkeys were swinging from tree to tree and howling! Great video! :) The "green" bird nipped at my father--my daughter still talks about that! It was HOT! But I am going back in Dec. NCL combines the tour with a trip down/up the river---plus lunch! We saw many animals during the boat ride!

Archived