? about Stingray City and snorkeling

smaradiaga

Hello,

Wanting to know how "rigorous" the activities are at Stingray City and snorkeling at the barrier reef/coral garden. We had booked with Capt. Marvin, and just found out that our sister in law who is going with us, is pregnant. She is newly pregnant (about 11 wks) and gets tired easily. We are leaving in 2 weeks (Nov. 16). I wonder whether the sea would be pretty calm around that time (i.e. so we don't have to do a rigorous swim while snorkel)? Also, I know that we'll be feeding the stingray at the Stingray City. Is that a pretty mild activity (i.e. just get off the boat on a calm water and play with the stingray)? If none of these activities are appropriate for her, we are thinking of cancelling the excursion and just hang out at the beach. After reading all the great stuff about the stingray/snorkel at GC, we really would like to go if possible. Any input is highly appreciated!! Thanks so much!

Hi. We did this excursion with Capt. Marvin last November, around the weather was PERFECT!! The seas were calm, and the snorkeling was excellent.

My kids, at the time were 11, 8, 5, and they had no problem with any of the activities.

The sandbar where the stinrays are only goes up to high waist, or a little higher (we are short!!!), so again it's not intense.

Also, my husband was not feeling the stingrays when we went so he, and another lady in our group, opted to stay on the boat while the rest of us snorkeled. You SIL, would certainly have the option if it was getting a little bit much for her.

The trip is not very long, only a couple of hours, so I she will likely be just fine. I would highly recommend doing this. It really is a great experience. It's definatley one of the highlights of all my cruises!!!!

Hi. We did this excursion with Capt. Marvin last November, around the weather was PERFECT!! The seas were calm, and the snorkeling was excellent.

My kids, at the time were 11, 8, 5, and they had no problem with any of the activities.

The sandbar where the stinrays are only goes up to high waist, or a little higher (we are short!!!), so again it's not intense.

Also, my husband was not feeling the stingrays when we went so he, and another lady in our group, opted to stay on the boat while the rest of us snorkeled. You SIL, would certainly have the option if it was getting a little bit much for her.

The trip is not very long, only a couple of hours, so I she will likely be just fine. I would highly recommend doing this. It really is a great experience. It's definatley one of the highlights of all my cruises!!!!

I agree completely. Warning though: the stingrays will rub up against you with some force if you have food!! She should be fine. :)

Hello,

Wanting to know how "rigorous" the activities are at Stingray City and snorkeling at the barrier reef/coral garden. We had booked with Capt. Marvin, and just found out that our sister in law who is going with us, is pregnant. She is newly pregnant (about 11 wks) and gets tired easily. We are leaving in 2 weeks (Nov. 16). I wonder whether the sea would be pretty calm around that time (i.e. so we don't have to do a rigorous swim while snorkel)? Also, I know that we'll be feeding the stingray at the Stingray City. Is that a pretty mild activity (i.e. just get off the boat on a calm water and play with the stingray)? If none of these activities are appropriate for her, we are thinking of cancelling the excursion and just hang out at the beach. After reading all the great stuff about the stingray/snorkel at GC, we really would like to go if possible. Any input is highly appreciated!! Thanks so much!

I used to snorkel in the canals in Key West when I was pregnant with my first one and it was not a problem. I even took a scuba class when I was about 5 months with number 3 (this was back in 1968 - would not be allowed now). We went out for the final session and did a dive on the reef. I didn't find the dive to be a problem, but the boat ride was tiring, even though it was fairly calm, and I do not get sea sick (as a general rule - knock wood).

Since then, my main problem has been getting back onto the boat.

I have not been to Stingray City (looking forward to going), but if you SIL is comfortable in the water, she should be OK. Have her try the pool on board the ship first and see how it goes.

And it would certainly be possible for her to maybe have a spa treatment on board while you went on the excursion.

Archived