Recommendations for shore excursions??

nuttyprofessor921

We will be taking our first cruise Jan 5, 2008 on the Carnival Freedom -ports of call are Grand Cayman, Cozumel and Ocho Rios. Can anyone recommend any shore excursions? We'd like something fun, but not too strenuous, hopefully some snorkelling along the way ... also, has anyone been to the Butterfly Farm or Sting Ray City? Please share your opinions. Thanks! :)

A few suggestions...

Grand Cayman...

I'd do the stingray snorkel. It's amazing. We always use Captain Marvin's. http://www.captainmarvins.com

Captain Marvin's also offers an island tour (Hell, Turtle Farm, Rum Cake place).

If you want to visit 7MB, I'd have CM's drop you at either Sea Grape Beach or Royal Palms. Here's the Royal Palms webstie. The Reef Grill is the restaurant there. http://www.reefgrill.com/ Both SG and RP are on 7MB and both offer chair rental, food, restrooms and water toy rentals. Royal Palms is closer to the port area. Once you're done, just grab a cab back to the port area. It's usually $4-$5 per person.

Grand Cayman is a wonderful place that you can freely roam around and not have a worry in the world. Just use the normal precautions you'd use when at home, and you'll be fine. Because of this, we now visit GC for land vacations. We rent a car and drive all over the island.

Cozumel...

We've only been there once, but we went to Playa something (can't remember the name). It's a different name now, but I have also read a lot of good things about Paradise Beach (which is where we'd go if we find ourselves in Cozumel again).

We also did the dolphin swim, which was amazing. We booked through Cozumel Insider (I think-Sherri was her name). I don't know if the dolphins are back since the hurricane.

Ocho Rios...

IMO, don't go out on your own here. I'd book a tour with someone. We booked with Ionie McBeam and her husband took us to the Falls, shopping, and we drove through an area...can't remember the name, but it was all very interesting and beautiful. After that, we had lunch at Margaritaville (in the shopping area right next to the dock) and then walked back to the ship.

Here's Ionie's website. http://www.ocho-rios.com/index.php

if it is your first time in Cayman's I suggest you go snorkle, it is the best place to do it,

As for Ocho Rios, it is not safe to go on your own there, book a tour, we did the falls once, but the visit to the Rhum factory was better and the food is very good, worth the tour

In Cozumel, we took a cab with another family and went to the ruins, very interesting and not to expensive, since we came back early we decided to do a bit of shopping made good deal.

Don't forget that even if boose is cheap there, you won't be able to bring it back home easily

Have a nice trip,

Next Cruise

Celebrity - Constellation March 2008 Southern Caraibean :) ;)

Past Cruises

Celebrity - Zenith - Oct 2006 Southern Caraibean :)

Celebrity - Zenith - Feb 2005 Panama Canal :)

HAL - Zuiderdam - March 2003 eastern Caraibean :mad:

Celebrity - Century - April 2002 western Caraibean:)

We rent a car and drive to Coconuts for lunch. Always. Paradise beach is beautiful too, with hammocks and the like to lounge if you get one. The bar scene seemed lively, but that is not our thing. Shopping is good and bartering is expected. We like to get away from the main dock area and have always had good experiences.

lrunion

Splendor of the Seas 03/04

Carnival Something 03/05

and

Voyager of the Seas 03/08

Archived