Insurance - what to look for?

boilermom

One of my sons has changed jobs - so am looking at trip insurance for our 12/2 cruise - what should I be looking for? Just wanted extra since he has no insurance now - he is 21 - also if one of us had to cancel or leave early to come home - is that covered - it is myself and 3 sons 23, 21 & 15 - thanks!

I use STATRAVEL.com which is a student travel site but they insure anyone. Made 1 claim and it was paid quickly and efficiently. 7 days is 48$ per person.

Make sure it covers medical, evacuation, trip delay (which covers before and after) and you should be good to go.

One thing to look for is the look back period for medical coverage. It is usually 60-180 days. This refers to how far back they will look into your or a family member's medical records if you make a claim.

If you buy your travel insurance within 14 days of your first cruise payment some travel insurance companies will give you coverage for pre-existing medical problems.

I use AIG Travel Guard. Haven't had a claim.

One thing I would look for is if your son being 21 is looking to parasail or scuba dive they may or may not be covered. MAny policies exclude these activities. (I scuba so I look closely). You can pull up the small print in Adobe for each policy and call the company and ask. (find it in print first). Debbie

Archived