Governor's Beach or Beach by Ship??

legalwife

We went to Gov. Beach. We paid 35 dollars, from the ship. The beach was nice, but 35 was a little high. I think you can just go there in a cab. The cab fare was 3 dollars I think. You could walk there, but if you walk on the road it would take a while because it curves out a little. Both beaches are amazing. The snorkeling at Gov. beach may be a little better. The snorkeling "spot" is a little ways down the beach. I personally didnt like it. It was so rocky I could hardly walk. The water was shallow and there were huge sea urchins. I almost hit them so many times. I was scared to death. And i have snorkeled many times.

The beach itself was very nice, not rocky at all.

Thanks alot to both of you.

Governors Beach it is then, although I am a little concerned about the snorkeling. We will just have to see. Beautiful beach is the most important thing.

We will scope out a taxi and go there for awhile and then come back and check out Margaritaville. That is the current plan, subject to change! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

We were at governor's beach Monday & unless the cab dropped us at the wrong place, the amenities are closed & new buildings are being (slowly) constructed. There was no one but us there for at least an hour - it was lovely, but a little spooky. Eventually about 10 showed up from the ship. We couldn't get a cab back, so walked the road, quite a long walk. Saw many fish a little ways from the beach around the remains of an old dock & some rocks. Margaritaville lovely, but drinks very expensive.

Thanks alot to both of you.

Governors Beach it is then, although I am a little concerned about the snorkeling. We will just have to see. Beautiful beach is the most important thing.

We will scope out a taxi and go there for awhile and then come back and check out Margaritaville. That is the current plan, subject to change! ;)

If beautiful beach is the most important thing, you might also want to check out the Grand Turk Inn. Sandy and her sister Katrina run a first rate B&B there with a private beach. We did a 1/2 day there for $20 pp which included the use of the private beach, a suite to change in, some floaties, soft drinks/water and a dessert buffet to die for. Sandy sat with us and told us great stories about Grand Turk and them coming there to set up. She's a very gracious host and it's very relaxed and welcoming. WAIT till you see that swing she has and hear the story about that one. She has an all day plan too that includes the above plus a lovely lunch for $40 pp. Cab ride there is about $5 pp. www.grandturk.inn

To us, it was a little bit of heaven and paradise for the afternoon. When we got off that ship and saw the rows upon rows of deck chairs on the beach at the cruise ship terminal, we were SO happy that we had booked this one. We were the only people on the private beach that day and it just felt like it was ours.

The walk back from the beach seemed like miles, but it was probably under a mile. It's the same road the cab takes, a little away from the beach. It's also not very scenic, you walk past electrical stations, gas tanks. Not the prettiest scenery. But, boy, the margaritas tasted good at Margaritaville! We did some some of the wild horses, however. There only seemed to be one road, so you won't get lost, but well worth the $3 pp if you can find a cab.

Archived