What are the options for a family of 7?

Dsnyluvr

We would like to take an Alaskan Cruise in the summer of 2009. It will be my mother & stepfather, Sister & her family of 3, other sister and her family of 3 and me with my family of 7. I can not find any rooms for a large family except the Royal Family Suite. Will this fit 7 of us? (My husband and I, 4 teenage boys and one teenage girl.) Are there any other alternatives?

We would like to take an Alaskan Cruise in the summer of 2009. It will be my mother & stepfather, Sister & her family of 3, other sister and her family of 3 and me with my family of 7. I can not find any rooms for a large family except the Royal Family Suite. Will this fit 7 of us? (My husband and I, 4 teenage boys and one teenage girl.) Are there any other alternatives?

I don't know how many fit in a royal suite, someone will come along to answer that. But my advice is to put you, Dh and your daughter in your room and the boys across or near by in their own room. If they don't care you about the brother/sister thing then you could do 3 and 2 or something of that nature in two rooms, but that is getting pricey and I don't want to presume your budget. Alaska is expensive.

We did the Serenade this summer with our two teenagers and I got them their own inside room and we were across the hall a couple of doors down in a balcony. They would hang out on our balcony but having two bathrooms was as they say....priceless.

I would suggest getting a quad for the 4 boys and a triple for you, your husband and your daughter. You should have no problem getting a quad when you are planning this far ahead. If you can swing it, go for balcony cabins as the scenery in Alaska is fantastic.

The Royal Suite is only up to 4 people, but the Royal Family Suite sould sleep 7. And since it has 2 bedrooms, and a living room, it would be more spacious than getting 2 rooms. But I would call RCI to book asap as those sell out fast.

The Royal Family Suite would be perfect for your family. It's designed for up to 8 people and has 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. You get a huge balcony. Plus on Radiance and Serenade you get access to the Concierge Lounge as it is a suite.

You can always do 2 connecting rooms, but then you are left with the teenage daughter in the room with you which doesn't give you any privacy.

I would suggest getting a quad for the 4 boys and a triple for you, your husband and your daughter. You should have no problem getting a quad when you are planning this far ahead. If you can swing it, go for balcony cabins as the scenery in Alaska is fantastic.

I'm new at this. Could you tell me what a quad is? What about a triple? DH & I would definitely need our own room. He needs a place to go where he can get away from everyone when the kids get to be too much for him.

The Royal Family Suite would be perfect for your family. It's designed for up to 8 people and has 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. You get a huge balcony. Plus on Radiance and Serenade you get access to the Concierge Lounge as it is a suite.

You can always do 2 connecting rooms, but then you are left with the teenage daughter in the room with you which doesn't give you any privacy.

Wow, everyone responds on here so quickly, I can't even get my thoughts down before another person chimes in. You are all great!

Thanks for the stats on the Royal Family Suite. Is it 2 beds in each room or does one of the rooms have one bed and then the living room have a pull-out sofa?

I'm new at this. Could you tell me what a quad is? What about a triple? DH & I would definitely need our own room. He needs a place to go where he can get away from everyone when the kids get to be too much for him.

If you guys want to have your own room, then you'd have to get 3 rooms OR the Royal Family Suite. A quad is a room that holds 4 people. A triple is one that holds 3. If you do any combination of 2 rooms, then one of your kids is going to be in the room with you.

Really for your family a RFS would be perfect as there would be a master bedroom for you, a room with 4 bunks for the boys, plus a sofa bed for the teenage girl, plus 2 bathrooms.

Here's the description of the RFS on Radiance:

Two bedrooms with twin beds that convert to queen-size beds (one room with third and fourth Pullman beds), two bathrooms (one with shower, one with bathtub), living area with double sofa bed, private balcony, and concierge service. (533-586 sq. ft., balcony 139-193 sq. ft.)

She's only 13, but I'm an quickly learning that this is true.

You have my sympathy, the next few years are a test of patience.:D Mine is 21 now and even though we always have loved each other we now like each other as well.

Without a doubt my recommendation would be two rooms. Hubby daughter and you in a balcony (you really dont want to miss the scenery) and the boys in an interior quad across the hall (would save a little money, unless budget allows them a balcony) no matter how nice the biggest suite is with 7 people you would have a hard time with only one bathroom. We are a family of four and choose to get two less expensive rooms usually adjoining just to have two bathrooms, two T.V's, two closets (and a little private time for Mom and Dad)

Let's see if this works. This is an example layout of the RFS from the Radiance. There is one master bedroom with 2 twin beds that combine into a queen. Then there is a 2nd bedroom with 2 twin beds plus 2 pullman beds (like bunk beds). And then there is a double sofa bed out in the living room.

shp_br_rf-suite_sch_379.jpg

You have my sympathy, the next few years are a test of patience.:D Mine is 21 now and even though we always have loved each other we now like each other as well.

Sue, my mother says the same thing!!:p

I just thought of something, when you say your sister and her family of 3 does that mean sister, hubby and child? If yes could your daughter and that child or the other cousin and share a room that way. Your kids can be mixed with theirs.

My oldest son is 17. It's good to know that we will eventually like each other at some point. ;) Or does this just apply to daughters?

My oldest son is 17. It's good to know that we will eventually like each other at some point. ;) Or does this just apply to daughters?

My mother says it usually takes a little longer with sons. She started liking my brother around the time he turned 30.;)

Let's see if this works. This is an example layout of the RFS from the Radiance. There is one master bedroom with 2 twin beds that combine into a queen. Then there is a 2nd bedroom with 2 twin beds plus 2 pullman beds (like bunk beds). And then there is a double sofa bed out in the living room.

Thanks for the picture and the explanation. It does seem like this would be the perfect room for us. I hate to sound picky, but do you know if this room has a good view. I'm sure I will be spending a lot of time on our balcony taking pictures and so will my son. From another photo that I saw on this site, it looks like the balcony is on the back of the ship. Will that work for Alaska, or does it have to be on the side to see the glaciers and such?

Actually when my daughter left for college and it was just him at home, we had a great time and never went through that stage. Either that or did while I was going crazy with his sister and didn't notice. He is 19 now and away at college and so is my daughter and I miss them like crazy.

My daughter is a senior in college and we knew she would be going off on her own (she already has a job for when she graduates in May) So we took them to Alaska this summer on the Serenade, they absolutely loved it and if you can swing it, take them on the helicopter to the glacier. Amazing experience. If you want to see pictures click on the link in my signature.

On Radiance and Serenade, the Royal Family Suites are on the back of the ship which is a coveted area of the ship due to the fabulous view.

If you are considering Rhapsody of the Seas out of Seattle the layout will be slightly different (different class of ship). Those RFS are in the center of the ship but will still have a great view.

No matter what though you'd have a fabulous view from any balcony or suite in Alaska.

But I would call RCI to book asap as those sell out fast.

I looked on the website, and it doesn't let me book that far in advance. Generally, when can you start booking for summer of 2009? Since it's a large group, do I have to call a specific phone number? Is there any advantage to all of us booking together? Does anyone know how much you have to put down for each person and when the last payment is due? Is it just me or is the royal Caribbean website a lot more confusing than it has to be?

Archived