Chankanaab Park?

myraid

We will be in Cozumel in December and just wanted to see if anyone had some information about Chankanaab Park? We have a 2 1/2 year old and Iwas wondering if anyone has just gone out on their own to the park? Is it easy to get a taxi to do this? How far is it from the port? If you have done this on your own, did you bring your own car seat (I can't imagine a car seat would be available, so my guess is it's bring your own or nothing). Are taxis readily available at the park so you can come back at any time?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!:D

We did this a on our first cruise in 04 we did not have a baby then but the taxis are avail. no problem I think they say the red tag taxis when you get off the boat I think I rember ssigns to the taxis waiting we bought our own snorkal stuff. We rernted a locker and ate there the beach is fine but to get in the water you have to step down not like a regular beach there is no shallow area but if you have your child in a floaty suit it may be ok. When you leave if there are no taxis waiting they will call one. I never saw any carseats

We are planning to take our 2 and 4 year olds to Chankanaab while in Cozumel. According to their website, there is a shallow kids' beach in addition to the snorkeling area mentioned in the previous post. Check out the website and look at the pictures yourself. They also have a playground, gardens, restaurants, replica Mayan ruins and more. I think admission is $16 now, but you can get an online coupon for $2 off at this website: http://www.cozumelparks.org.mx/. Read more about it here in this review: http://www.caribbeanportreviews.com/...Chankanaab.htm.

We too are concerned about taking little tots in a taxi so if anyone can weigh in on this topic, I'd appreciate it as well.

There is a shallow family area. It was probably less than 3 feet all the way across. There are lots of small fish (like minnows) that swim in schools in that area too, so if you have a little one who can snorkel but isn't big enough for the deep stuff they can have a lot of fun.

I had a 3 year old with me and he totally enjoyed it.

We took a cab both ways, no problem getting one. We did not have a car seat, but DS was over the 40 lb mark, so I was comfortable enough letting him sit in his own seat with the lap belt on.

2449086320062803266S425x425Q85.jpg

This is the small beach area. You can see that it does not get very deep

2131768340062803266S425x425Q85.jpg

This is also the small beach area. That is the inlet for the kids on the right. And the people on the dock are for the dolphin encounter next door I think.

2773676870062803266S425x425Q85.jpg

This is a view of the deeper area, where you have to climb down to water over 10 feet deep to go snorkling.

We had a wonderful time here!! We took a cab ourselves and there was something there for everyone in our group. I took the two girls on a dolphin encounter, and the other adults went snorkelling and scuba diving. The kids' area was shallow and very interesting; I had girls running up to me showing me 'amazing' shells and rocks for a couple hours!! ha ha ha

ANY taxi in a foreign country with a child that young needs to be in a car seat. So we have been using this...

http://www.amazon.com/Eddie-Bauer-Portable-Bryant-Collection/dp/B000K53TFI

No it's not going to compare to your car seat at home. But it folds flat, is lightweight and can be packed in a suitcase. It's a 5 point harness that we use with our 3.5 year old when we travel. We started using it was she was 2. She is 27lbs right now.

We've been to Paradise Beach and loved it. My boys played all day on the water toys and snorkeled. I'm thinking about Chakanaab in December but don't know if it's worth the extra cost for all of us or if we should go to Paradise again. I don't like crowds and the photos above make Chakanaab look pretty crowded.

What do you folks who have been to both think?

If you go through the little shop you can go watch the people in the dolphin encounter. I didn't have a child at the time but loved doing that and my son would probably love doing that do.

Personally I like the area because it's more then just a beach you can walk around and see the replica ruins and go to the playground. Only you know your child, but I know mine wouldn't be content to just sit on the beach so for me I would need the variety and that would be the perfect place and defenitely where I would go.

I think Chaanakab is much better for little ones because of the shallow beach area near the dolphin area. Paradise is good for older kids because of the water toys. The constant peddling at Paradise drove us crazy. I think they will wake you up to try to sell you something.

Chaanakaab is much more relaxing even if it is crowded. There were lots of taxis when we left.

I would not go here just to snorkel. It was not anything as good as what you get going on a boat to the reefs.

I LOVED Chaanakab!!!! Not only do they have the shallow lagoon area for the kids ( or really anyone) but they also have a very clean pool ( mostly shallow) and the bathrooms... oh my the cleanest and nicest I have seen around!!!! They also have free lockers for use. Just go to the locker area and find one with a key in the lock... put your stuff in and take the key!!! ( the key is on a rope necklace so you wont loose it!!!)

There is SO much to do here.... you wont be sorry!!!!

As far as the carseat issue goes... the cabs are mostly very small cars. I am not sure there are even seat belts in the back. The 5point harness mentioned earlier would be a good option if there is a seat belt in the back. Otherwise, it is about a 10 minute (or less) ride straight down the one street. My son was in the back with me and my husband was up front. Now on the return trip, they did have van taxis.... you can ask at the taxi stand if you can get a van to go there... more likely to have a seat belt in the van.

Just a warning, they were hit pretty hard with a hurricane a couple years back. We went there in 2005 before and it was great, had a swimming pool for kids, etc. We went there 2007 May and the pool wasn't back yet. The beach was desserted. The shallow kid area was not very clean. Our 20 month old HATED it and so we didn't stay long, since going was mostly for her. They haven't updated their website, so don't believe everything they say they have. (unless it's changed since May) For the good reviews...can you add when you were there?

I was there in February of 2007 and the pool was open and being used. The pool is right across from the dolphin area. We didnt get a chance to go to the lagoon area .. but only because of time. We spent time out in the rock area and then we didn the dolphin swim... but they had everything back and looking great!!

Hmmm We saw where it should have been (since we remember from before) and there was a fence around it and very clear noises of construction. When we asked they said it was unavailable. I just assumed it was related to hurricane. Maybe it's general upgrades or some other kind of summer construction project that had started by May. Can anyone else substantiate what I'm talking about? Or am I just crazy?

Archived