Anyone remember the Festivale?

bartos

I was looking for something this weekend and came accross a small booklette from our 1991 cruise on the Carnival Festivale (this ship was built in 1977). Boy, did the ship look small compared to the ships now. The booklette was great though, because it had all the destinations we went to with info. I remember the ship was gaudy. We had been upgraded to a room with a view (a port hole). The room had pipes running through the ceiling. I will say, we had a great time on this cruise. Does anyone else remember this ship?

I sailed on the Festivale in 1987...my very first cruise. My two sisters and I flew from N.O. to San Juan. It was truly a fantastic voyage! We had a wonderful time.

I learned a lot on that cruise. One thing, I haven't book any excursions since that cruise. I found it's easier and less expensive and I can see 'more' by going off on my own.

She was a great ship, and I remember the costume party on deck. I went as Lady Godiva and won first prize. We were amazed at all the food, especially at the midnight buffet. I don't think I've had quite the same feeling on any cruise; pure awe.

Lots more things were included in the cruises back then; complimentary soft drinks always, and the comp rum swizzles at sailaway. We thought the ship was HUGE....and it was.

Also, the waiters did their little show only once during the cruise - which was great! At that time, the had the flaming Baked Alaska on their heads as they wound around the dining room. Many other things were different back then.

Great memories. :)

My first two cruises were on the Festivale as a solo cruiser. I loved that ship and it started me on my cruising obsession! I have a lot of, what is lovingly called memorablia (well, to some it would be "junk") from those cruises. :p

I did have the honor of being aboard the Destiny (if I recall) as we passed the Festivale they day they painted over her name taking her out of service. Some passengers and several crew were crying at the sight....it was sad as there were many of us who had fond memories of that wonderful ship. Our vessel slowed and sounded our horn and she echoed in return (in Miami). Then the crew aboard the Festivale took their paint rollers and painted over the name.

My stupid ex-husband has the video of that day....he could keep all the other videos of all the other cruises...but I really want that one...

My first two cruises were on the Festivale as a solo cruiser. I loved that ship and it started me on my cruising obsession! I have a lot of, what is lovingly called memorablia (well, to some it would be "junk") from those cruises. :p

I did have the honor of being aboard the Destiny (if I recall) as we passed the Festivale they day they painted over her name taking her out of service. Some passengers and several crew were crying at the sight....it was sad as there were many of us who had fond memories of that wonderful ship. Our vessel slowed and sounded our horn and she echoed in return (in Miami). Then the crew aboard the Festivale took their paint rollers and painted over the name.

My stupid ex-husband has the video of that day....he could keep all the other videos of all the other cruises...but I really want that one...

Any chance he would post that video on You Tube?????

Any chance he would post that video on You Tube?????

If I would go over and set up the account and then post it, yes. He barely uses e-mail....:mad:

I think most of the stuff is still in storage and I keep going over to help him sort himself out. I'm pressing on DH's last good nerve at this point. I feel bad (in a way) for my ex, but I can't keep handling everything for him either.

I have the memory of that day burned into my mind. I was sniffling here at my desk now when I typed the earlier post.

I remember having an inside single cabin on Empress deck. The sink was actually *in* the cabin part. The shower and toilet were one small room - everything got soaked when you showered. :eek: Now I take Cat 12...what a long way I've gone! :D

On my first cruise, my cabin steward knocked on my door after dinner and all but physically dragged me to the disco for the "singles meet" to get me involved. And he did that every day - dragging me places - until I started going on my own (I was shy and it was my first vacation anywhere). My tablemates were all experienced cruisers who also made sure that I got out and enjoyed everything.

After the week was over, I came home and as soon as they open the manifest for the next year, I booked again.

My parents and I still talk about those early trips.

The Festivale was my 1st cruise also. It was also the cruise that spoiled me for balconies. We got upgraded to a suite which was really something back then since there were only about 10 or 12 balcony suites on the entire ship. It was awesome. We met couple of honeymooners on that ship that had a tiny inside cabin on the lowest deck. They only had an upper and lower bunk and the wall on the other side of the cabin was only a couple of feet away from the edge of the bunks. It was soooo tiny. I have know idea how we managed to get that fabulous upgrade. Maybe it was because there were 4 of us girls sharing a cabin. I don't remember what kind of cabin we originally booked but it was probably one of the cheapest quads.

If I would go over and set up the account and then post it, yes. He barely uses e-mail....:mad:

I think most of the stuff is still in storage and I keep going over to help him sort himself out. I'm pressing on DH's last good nerve at this point. I feel bad (in a way) for my ex, but I can't keep handling everything for him either.

I understand...Been there, done that..burned the tshirt!!

oct. 1984 our first cruise was on the Festivale.

Funny CCL doesn't have that listed on my sail history. I just sent an email asking them to add it. Of course they want proof. Well I have the embarkation welcome and the stupid formal night with those wacko derby hats and hawaiian leis. Oh I have the brown plastic key holder (they actually had real keys back then too) AND the 1 page caper per day. Boy have things changed.

Oh and if any of you Festivale sailors have one of the funnel pins that you could part with, I would be so grateful to buy or trade for it.

oct. 1984 our first cruise was on the Festivale.

Funny CCL doesn't have that listed on my sail history. I just sent an email asking them to add it. Of course they want proof. Well I have the embarkation welcome and the stupid formal night with those wacko derby hats and hawaiian leis. Oh I have the brown plastic key holder (they actually had real keys back then too) AND the 1 page caper per day. Boy have things changed.

Oh and if any of you Festivale sailors have one of the funnel pins that you could part with, I would be so grateful to buy or trade for it.

All you need to do is .pdf to them the embarkation photo - they'll update your cruising history within a few days. Let us know if you have problems - but it should work easily.

All you need to do is .pdf to them the embarkation photo - they'll update your cruising history within a few days. Let us know if you have problems - but it should work easily.

Thanks I never heard ANYTHING back from my email, so I will do that later today. Now that the platinum perks have added the new $$ for 25 50 75 & 100 sailings, each sailing is a must to have on file.

Thanks I never heard ANYTHING back from my email, so I will do that later today. Now that the platinum perks have added the new $$ for 25 50 75 & 100 sailings, each sailing is a must to have on file.

If you have a PVP - go through them. They can get it to a supervisor for you that should make the process a lot smoother.

Yup....but now I'm married to a real gentleman - so it was worth the first hassle to get the "upgrade"!! ;)

HeidiHo - Just wanted to say "Hi" to another Heidi!!! Not that many of us around! :D

Right back at ya! :D

If you have a PVP - go through them. They can get it to a supervisor for you that should make the process a lot smoother.

That's what I did. I scanned and emailed my embarkation photos from the Festivale and the Holiday to my PVP and she added them to my cruise history.

My first cruise WAY back in June of 1981 was on the Festivale. Went with three friends and we crammed into a four-bunk interior on Main deck - I still have great, although somewhat fuzzy, memories of that cruise.

Now if I can just find the embarkation photo in my "archives" so I can update my past cruises record with Carnival.

I know I have better pictures of the pool. I'll keep looking.

Our cabin was on the Riviera deck and had the bunk beds. We had been married 3 years then. Our cabin steward used to take out my night gown and position it on one of the beds (eeewwww) It seemed like the whole ship was either newlyweds or over 60 yrs. old. We didn't cruse again for 19 years and then found out it had changed quite a bit.

The dark-haired man wooing the woman was the cruise director. We couldn't stand him. Maybe we watched too many episodes of the Love Boat and were expecting a "Julie". Icing on the cake was when we went to a port talk (even then it was, "We only recommend these stores....") and later saw the cruise director leaving a store in St. Thomas with a huge shopping bag of goodies.

Weren't there 2 late night buffets? I thought one was at midnight and the other around 2am.

It was our first and only cruise. Aug 4, 1984. (We are going Dec 24th on the Ecstasy with our 2 teenage daughters). We had so much fun in Nassua, San Juan, and St. Thomas. Shopped (I bought lots of jewelry), toured, snorkled, and went scuba diving. Drinks on the ship were free or cheap, like $1. You paid cash for everything. When we got on the plane we were carrying 10 bottles of booze (duty free and cheap) and $.25. Have great pictures of me shaking the Captain's hand at dinner, and our dinner mates. Great time - I tell people we cruised before cruising was cool.

Here's a picture of us getting on board in 1884. I should scan the rest.

Tammy

1490996681_2CarltonTammyBeasley-Carnival1984.jpg.4b3ccde9afa69d1b84623a77404fb0fe.jpg

Archived