One way air to Europe???

It is almost time for me to book a one-way air from JFK to FCO for a 10/29/08 transatlantic. I had been checking Aer Lingus for MANY months and they had offered a reasonable one way from NY to Rome via Dublin. The prices had been in the low $300's. I notice now that the prices have slowly moved higher.....HIGH $400's for a 10/01/08 one way. Imagine all fares/all carriers are on the increase. Any other options? I could use my miles but I'd be charged the same as a r/t. Not sure if other airlines offer one way fares to Europe or if there is a way to approach this from a different angle. If not, I'll just go with the Aer Lingus fare. Any thoughts???? Marty

I doubt you are going to get a cheaper fare. I just bought tickets for my son and his girlfriend for Janary and it was over $ 1000 per person. Of course, they are on good nonstops at good times. So you pay for this. They are doing British airways from Baltimore- London. The airfare was like $ 480 per person but then there are $ 300 in taxes added to that. Then the flight from London-Rome and Venice- London went up by over two hundred dollars! It had been $ 237 roundtrip but is now $ 400.

My son feels bad because this is his Christmas present and he thought that he would be saving me alot of money by doing Europe in January instead of May.

Have you done a search on sidestep.com? I found a good fare from FCO to JFK there for our trip last May. (Lufthansa from FCO to DUS, LTU from DUS to JFK)I think it was around $400/pp for travel in May, you should be able to get a better fare for October....but then maybe not due to high oil prices.

When we did a one way ticket to Europe this summer, we used Aer Lingus because they were a carrier that didn't penalize you for not doing a round trip. We bought our tickets many months in advance, and I did see them go up from there. It's hard to know for sure, but you might be best booking the Aer Lingus now before it goes up even more.

Sometimes you can also get a better fare by flying into a large hub city like London, then booking a separate connecting flight. You'll have to make sure you'd have lots of time in between flights. When we flew back from Barcelona after our TA we booked a flight from Barcelona - Dublin, then flew Dublin to Toronto the next day via JFK. It was the cheapest way to go (other than charters). I think you really just have to punch in different European cities and see what happens.

Eurofly is an Italian carrier that flies from JFK to Rome and a number of other Italian cities. They are not in airline CRS's so you have to visit their website for fare quotes: http://www.eurofy.it (and click on the Americano link) Don't know if they have fares yet for next fall.

You may need to contact a consolidator to get a decent one way fare. I recommend you visit Auto Europe at http://www.autoeurope.com and click on airfares. If it does not show a one way fare, call them and ask for the "air" department. It also may be too early to get a good quote.

I normally don't recommend buying a ticket so far in advance but with the price of fuel rising and expected to continue to rise a lot, this may be the time to grab something and lock it in rather than wait until next year. The Aer Lingus routing is a good route on a reliable airline.

BobK/Orlando

Right now the AerLingus one-way looks pretty good. I'm going to book it as soon as it is available, in about three weeks, for 10/24/08. I agree that with rising fuel costs it is a gamble to wait. The Lufthansa one way to Rome was over $2000 pp. The AA, multi-city, JFK-FCO & FLL-JFK tipped the scales at about $2300. What rip offs! The one way AerLingus to Rome via Dublin is running about $375-$475. Hopefully those prices hold for me for the next couple of week. Thanks for all the advice. Marty

• 2 weeks later...

FYI

Everyone advocating cruise air-you may be VERY surprised at the LACK of protection you have with cruise air tickets. They are NON ENDORSABLE-meaning they have NO VALUE to another airline. So if the originating carrier, XXX, has a problem getting you to your destination on time (for whatever reason, doesn't matter), your tickets are NO GOOD on another carrier. You have to wait for space available seating on the originating carrier. May cause you to miss 1-2 or more days of your cruise.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=530322

Archived