Carnival or a travel agent

Angie-Pangie

We've used both. We used travel agents when we first started cruising. When we didn't know about sites like this and didn't know much about cruising at all. That was good for us.

We've used a PVP for the past five or six cruises, now. I prefer going through a PVP. We get our paper work directly instead of having to wait for the TA to call and let us know the documents are in. (of course with the introduction of documents online that may be irrelevant.) I've heard of some perks you can sometimes find with TAs. I also understand you can book with a PVP and switch to a TA without much trouble...although no changes can be made through your PVP after you switch while retaining credit for the booking - which may work out to everyones benefit.

Like everything else in life one may have something to offer that the other one doesn't. I've learned that if you do go with a TA you should search for one who is Carnival friendly...we've come across a couple who really just don't like Carnival - for whatever reasons. With the Carnival friendly TA..they might even buy up a number of cabins and be able to give a better rate - or so I've heard. Evenso after 14 cruises we prefer PVPs.

I agree that it is easier to work with PVP at Carnival. You have the same person that you work with all the time and the ones that I have had have been willing to help you in way they can. If they can get you a lower rate they will. Mine called me several weeks after we booked and said the price had dropped so he had adjusted our fare. It is nice to call directly to Carnival if you have questions instead of calling TA and then they have to contact cruise line and then get back to you. I'm sure that some people have had great luck with TA but for us this works best.

We have used a PVP for years, however, if you are a first time cruiser...I would suggest that you not only use a TA but that you use one that has a proven track record with a friend, family member or co-worker.

Face to face is best when starting new adventures like this...IMHO.

I have had limited luck with travel agents. Most of the time they do not provide me any information, nor do they want to answer any questions, after I have booked the trip and provided a deposit. If we had not been going with friends on this trip, I would not have used the travel agent that I did (we all used the same person). Anytime that I called her she told me to look it up on the Carnival website myself. I will probably use a PVP from this point forward.

Archived