I Have To Brag A Little!

nugsmom

For years I have endured a small closet in my bedroom, and had to change my summer and winter clothes. My new walk-in closet is almost ready! We are adding an addition to our home, and enlarging the half-bath in the master bedroom to be a full bath, and off from that is a huge (almost as big as my bedroom) room that is ALL MY CLOSET!!!!!!!!!!!!YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is going to have shelves, shoe cubbyholes, lots of hanging space, etc! And it's all mine! (Did I already say that?) Hubby is going to use the closet in the bedroom. He currently has his clothes in the guest bedroom. I plan on putting an island in the middle with drawers on both sides for my lingeree, etc. No more switching clothes for the seasons! I will have all my work clothes hanging together, formal clothes, etc, and have them separated summer and winter. I feel like I have hit the jackpot! By the way, the new bath is being decorated in tropical colors, carribean green walls and the rug and curtain valance is pink flamingos! I have had to forego getting my kitchen remodeled to get this, but that's okay by me! Anybody have any must have ideas for my closet? They haven't built the shelves, etc, yet so if anybody has been there, done that and has some good advice I would surely appreciate it!

My walkin used to be the hot tub room off of our bedroom. It's got 4 floor to ceiling windows, paddle fan, victorian love seat and ottoman with a marble top antique table and lamp. I love my closet. It measures 14' by 22'. We took the hot tub out, had to take one of the window panes out and slide it out that way. It was a huge project, but I, too, love my closet.

Did you know there are web sites wherein you can "design" your own closet shelving? That's what I did. You will be able to even choose the wood, and it's a virtual site, too, so as you are designing, you are getting a visual. For example, I have one area for my long dresses, then a 5 shelf unit then the next area is for my shorter dresses, etc. Have fun with your closet. I never thought I, too, would brag about a silly ol' closet. ;)

JanetMarie and Nugsmom,After reading about your closets I am so jealous:D .....the closets you both described are exactly what I have always wanted. I have always dreamed of a room sized closet where I could have drawers for lingerie,special areas for formalwear, seasonal and everyday wear and shelves, tons of shelves and cubbies for shoes and bags, and of course a little table with a pretty shabby chic girlie chair so I could sit and figure out my day's outfit, or dream of cruising in my formal gowns and with large mirrors, lots of front and back mirrors....see, I really have thought a ton about this fantasy closet. We downscaled a few years ago and now our house is only 3 bedrooms, a computer room/office/big screen tv room, can't possible do without my puter room, a guest room, well it is nice to have company out here in the sticks, and our master suite, afraid that DH would get just a bit upset if I did away with this room, so no chance of turning one of those into my fantasy closet. Enjoy your closets I and hope that you fill them to the brim with pretties. Sissy

Our bedroom closet is way too small. DH says I have too many clothes, how can that be? He shows me pictures of these closet planners and how neat they are, yeah right, they have 3 shirts and 3 pair of pants hanging! Sometimes I find myself daydreaming of the time my kids are grown and leave, so I can have extra closet space, how demented is that?

Anyway, congratulations on your new closet, it sounds wonderful. I'm happy for anyone who can fulfill a dream! Sorry I don't have any advice, just enjoy it!

I'd be happy to share the web site - it's easyclosets.com.

As you can see, you literally design EVERYTHING!!! And I really don't think the cost is bad at all. I think we did our walk-in for around $1,200. Keep playing with the pictures until you get the look you really want. But also be practical. Try to think of what you have more of. For me, living in New England and being a skier, I have a lot of sweaters and sweatshirts. So, I needed to be sure that I had more shelf space. My long dresses probably number around 25ish. I didn't need a lot of space for that. Also, what I liked about the site is the fact that you literally give them your measurements. And everything is made to order. You even choose the wood. I have a cherry looking wood and I have the chrome bars to hang my clothes on. Have fun! And take your time designing it, because if you have been given the ability to design your own closet, why not take the time and think about what you really, really need for units.

Janet :)

I am soooooooooooooooooooo envious. In June I moved from a 4 bedroom house (with the kids grown and gone that means I had 4 closets for me LOL) to a 2 bedroom condo. These closets have those awful metal shelving systems in them and I'm going to check out that web site today. Thanks girls for always inspiring me LOL.

I have thought about this thread and keep trying to think of ways to enlarge my closet....finally I have figured it out. Since I hardly ever use my kitchen any more I will just convert it to a great big walk in closet....it is close to the laundry room and quite large. I think this remodel will work out great....eliminating the fridge I will no longer be tempted to eat and my clothes will have a beautiful new home. I just have to convince DH of my scheme. Sissy

I looked at that closet website and it was wayyyy to complicated for me! But our contractor (who is also a friend) is building mine. I did want to look and maybe get some ideas, but I guess I'll be just fine! The only thing I want that I may not be able to get is drawers. DH says drawers would be too expensive, but I haven't asked the contractor yet. But thanks for the website anyway! How in the world do you figure out how to draw what you want on there? I'm impressed!

Nugs, it really is a user friendly site. Or maybe it is for me. DH is a contractor, so it made it easier. It took me a while to decide exactly what I wanted, but to be able to "see" it online was very informative and very helpful. I love my walk-in closet. And I love sitting in there with the big floor to ceiling windows and my love seat - ahh, think I'll go nest in there right now! :eek:

Archived