Princess aft or Carnival aft - opinions please

sunshineminnie

(I also posted this on the Carnival site)

Hi there,

I'm not trying to start a which is better Carnival or Princess thread. :p I know that they're both great. I'm just needing to make a quick decision on rooms that I have held. Any advice is welcome.

I had to cancel my Princess cruise this week due to family circumstances and am trying to rebook. Originally, we were sailing on the Grand Princess and had a corner aft balcony, I was so psyched. We had a Western Caribbean itinerary and were going to dive in Cozumel and Cayman.

After cancelling, my travel agent suggested the Carnival Valor as an option. We could get a corner aft balcony on that one as well. Room 6483. I have both rooms held today. Here's my dilema:

I was so prepared for Princess and that room that I am wondering about the difference in atmosphere, rooms (the Carnival one seems bigger) and balconies. Also, the itinerary is a little different - Carnival will go to Belize and Rotaan instead of Ocho Rios and their private island. Carnival is going to be around $150 more per person. We are 40 somethings looking to relax, hang out on our balcony and dive a couple of times. We aren't looking to do a lot of partying, just more relaxing and adventuring outdoors.

If anyone has any thoughts on which way to go, I'd welcome it! I am so confused.

Thanks in advance!

If I recall, the Carnival aft balconies are more open and stair-stepped, so you won't get the same privacy you would with an aft-facing BB on Grand Princess. You might also get things blown onto your balcony from any decks above you - this is a source of occasional complaint with aft balconies on any ship that has the decks staggered as they go higher.

I have recommended Carnival to both my boss and one of my co-workers recently, and both came back thanking me for providing excellent advice. I think you'll have a great time.

I just got back from the 10 day caribbean cruise on the emerald. Now don't get me wrong, it was beautiful and we had the time of our lives, we met so many great people. BUT i would say the average age on our cruise was 80, and I am not joking. We are in our upper 20's and on a honeymoon and there were less than 50 people our age on the cruise. I felt like I was in a retirement home.

Carnival was way more fun, gives free ice cream, the waiters sing to you and they have activities geared towards the under 80 crowd. On emerald, the ship was empty by 11. Even the staff said she ship was "dead".

carnival was way more fun, and the food was better.

I also agree with the above poster. However we always cruise at the same time, beginning of December because of our anniversary. The age on both the Carnival and Princess at this time of year out of Florida was the same. There were so many walkers and wheel chairs that sometimes I thought we were in a retirement home. Both ships were quiet after 11. This does not bother us because we are not drinkers and do not go to party. We go for quiet alone time. BUT what we do mind is the rude ones who think they own the ship, get out of the elevator for me I am in a wheel chair sitting while you are standing, run over us with your power chair, I will cut in line in front of you, I will be rude to crew members and give them an attitude and then have them take it out on someone else people. We are in our late 50's and there were also a lot around our age, but did not see very many of the 20, 30, or 40 age group. What I am trying to say is that I think the time of year and cruise port has a lot to do with the age group on a ship more so then the difference between Carnival or Princess. All that aside we enjoyed both cruise lines.

I would have no problem sailing with Carnival. I've sailed with both Carnival (twice) and Princess (once). Quite frankly, I found the food better on Carnival and the cabins are larger, too. It is a livelier atomosphere and I have found with Carnival that the passengers and younger and much more outgoing. Having said that, Carnival does have a small element of "cheese" to it but that's what they're all about. Princess is - and I only have my one experience to judge by here - a more sedate, laid back atmosphere - but still fun, don't get me wrong.

But sailing with either of them is better than being at work!

hi i have been on the carnival miracle in room 6327 it was what you would call a mini on the princess i think and i thought it was fantastic loads of room but i think you might be in a bigger one and if it is its gona be huge, i cant give any feedback on the princess line as i havent done my cruise yet but we are in our forties and we didnt think it was over run with kids and it was during the october break, the kids are entertained quite far away from the main amenities on the ship, i think the valor may be the same size as the miracle not sure, hope this helps

linda

(I also posted this on the Carnival site)

Hi there,

I'm not trying to start a which is better Carnival or Princess thread. :p I know that they're both great. I'm just needing to make a quick decision on rooms that I have held. Any advice is welcome.

I had to cancel my Princess cruise this week due to family circumstances and am trying to rebook. Originally, we were sailing on the Grand Princess and had a corner aft balcony, I was so psyched. We had a Western Caribbean itinerary and were going to dive in Cozumel and Cayman.

After cancelling, my travel agent suggested the Carnival Valor as an option. We could get a corner aft balcony on that one as well. Room 6483. I have both rooms held today. Here's my dilema:

I was so prepared for Princess and that room that I am wondering about the difference in atmosphere, rooms (the Carnival one seems bigger) and balconies. Also, the itinerary is a little different - Carnival will go to Belize and Rotaan instead of Ocho Rios and their private island. Carnival is going to be around $150 more per person. We are 40 somethings looking to relax, hang out on our balcony and dive a couple of times. We aren't looking to do a lot of partying, just more relaxing and adventuring outdoors.

If anyone has any thoughts on which way to go, I'd welcome it! I am so confused.

Thanks in advance!

just looked the valor is 110,000 tons the miracle is only 88,500 tons so it should be bigger

Archived