Onboard certification?

LVGlenn

Many many years ago I was certified, and I'm toying with the idea of jumping back in during our Eastern Carribean trip on RCI's Mariner in November. I saw on RCI's website here that they offer an onboard PADI certification course with dives in St. Thomas. Does anyone know if they offer this course on the Mariner? Has anyone tried this course? If so, what'd you think? How were the dives in St. Thomas, what depth do they usually go to? Inquiring minds (one at least) want to know.

Also, I'm curious to know if anyone's tried SNUBA and what they think of it.

According to the web page you linked to:

Please note this course is only offered on the Adventure of the Seas, Explorer of the Seas, Mariner of the Seas and Navigator of the Seas.

I haven't tried this course, but if you are already certified, you don't actually have to be re-certified. That is up to you and your comfort level. Maybe all you need is a tune-up. My local dive shop occasionally has a "rusty diver night". For a small fee, they go to the pool and do a review. Perhaps this is also available in your area.

Diving in St. Thomas was decent. I went to Coki Beach for a shore dive which could be an option for you too. Coki Beach Dive Club offers guided shore dives as well as instruction.

The wife and kids tried snuba in Hawaii last year while I followed along scuba diving. It looked like fun. Only the boy, age 12, didn't care for it because he got cold. The girl, age 8, had a great time.

Hope this helps

Another option for you would be to do the "discover scuba" excursions that are offered. It's a resort course which will take you to 30' and give you the dive that you're looking for without spending a lot of time getting your certification renewed. In addition, if you have non-certified people in your group who are interested in diving, they could participate too.

Thanks for the replies. I totally missed the line in the web page about the program being offered on Mariner. D'oh!

I don't know if the "rusty diver" will work for me since I have no proof of my certification. Like I said, it was a long time ago, and I've moved around a lot since then.

lvglenn,

If you remember the company you were certified with you should be able to obtain a copy of your certification. I know that if you haven't dived in the last two years there is a short refresher course that most local dive shops will offer.

In August I did a Discover Scuba and Coki Beach and it was wonderful, even saw a turtle. The dive operators did say that visibility can be bad at times but that it was a good day. We saw for at least 50 feet and the water was warm even 40 feet down.

Good luck.

Archived