12 night Explorer Southern Caribbean from NJ

mmcruise

Has anyone sailed this itinerary before? I've been searching and can't find any posts or reviews. It looks like it's going out next week, though. Is this a new itinerary? If so, would love to hear from people who are going out next week. We're planning it for 4/09 - a lifetime away - but would love to read anything we can.

Thanks!

We are leaving Sunday on this sailing and are the first ones. I have heard there will be 3 new menus, 4 production shows, 3 formal nights.

I will pop in after Thanksgiving and answer any questions you may have.

Oh yes, please pop back in and let us know all about it.....

hope you have a great time!!!!!!!!!!!

We are leaving Sunday on this sailing and are the first ones. I have heard there will be 3 new menus, 4 production shows, 3 formal nights.

Sounds great!! We're doing the Feb 3, 2008 sailing and can't wait.:)

I thought there would be 3 formal nights, but when I checked the RCCL website it said 10, 11 and 12 night cruises (with the exception of some European 12-nights) would only have 2 formal nights...when I read this I emailed RCCL to double-check and customer service replied that there will in fact only be 2 formal nights on the Explorer 12-night sailings out of Bayonne.

I've done a very similar itinerary twice on HAL's Noordam; it's an excellent trip. Lots of variety and unique stops. Dominica to me is the best; it's as close as you get to unspoiled Caribbean. You'll have a great time.

I thought there would be 3 formal nights, but when I checked the RCCL website it said 10, 11 and 12 night cruises (with the exception of some European 12-nights) would only have 2 formal nights...when I read this I emailed RCCL to double-check and customer service replied that there will in fact only be 2 formal nights on the Explorer 12-night sailings out of Bayonne.
The main office is going to say what the website reports. My information comes directly from the cruise director. He's the one planning out our cruise. I'll take his word as opposed to some in the main office.

I've done a very similar itinerary twice on HAL's Noordam; it's an excellent trip. Lots of variety and unique stops. Dominica to me is the best; it's as close as you get to unspoiled Caribbean. You'll have a great time.

Just watch out for the black sand beaches on Dominica....bring shoes for the beach....very hot!!! But you are right, it is unspoiled and beautiful.

There's a bunch of us in here going on the first 12-nighter Sunday. I plan on getting online every couple days during the cruise... so I think we'll get a Explorer Live thread going to answer any questions.

In addition, you can check out our roll-call thread... I'm sure there will be a bunch of chatter in there about what is going on... particularly after we return.

My countdown clock is getting VERY LOW.... I LIKE THAT!!!! :D :D

This is correct!:) I just made my reservations last week for Portifino for my 12 night on 12/2. I was onboard for a B to B last week so took care of Dec. reservations then but there will be only 2 formal nights according to the maitre'd. The RCCL website says 3 formals on 12 nights for European cruises only. I will post live on the Explorer Live thread Now and Then and looking forward to the new itinerary :)

There's a bunch of us in here going on the first 12-nighter Sunday. I plan on getting online every couple days during the cruise... so I think we'll get a Explorer Live thread going to answer any questions.

In addition, you can check out our roll-call thread... I'm sure there will be a bunch of chatter in there about what is going on... particularly after we return.

My countdown clock is getting VERY LOW.... I LIKE THAT!!!! :D :D

That would be great! we'd love to read it while we wait for our 12/2! Have a great cruise! :D

Hi,

I'm on the 2nd December 12 nighter along with a girl friend for a 'girlie' holiday - joint 50th celebration. I've cruised lots of times with P&O mainly out of Southampton so this is a first on RCI and also out of New York. Will watch the reports with interest but will be leaving London on Wednesday 28th for a few days in New York first.

We are packing for 3 nights formal just in case!

From reading all the good things about Explorer on this board I booked for the 30th Nov 08 back in May. Hope this cruise is as good as previous ones.

I am not expecting the same level of service as previously experienced on P&O as we have paid less than 50% of what we would on P&O for a JS. Prices on P&O over the years have become relatively cheaper and the service has changed in line. You have to accept that something has to give when prices are reduced. I have a hotel and if a group want me to cut prices below a certain level then we start cutting back on the product delivered.

We've got a great itinery, a few sea days, some fantastic stops and we'll be on a cruise - what more can you ask for? As long as we've got a clean cabin, a balcony, plenty to do if we choose and decent well cooked food with a choice we'll be happy!

Been watching the M&M thread for 2nd December but have not kept up with it - I'm lost now and haven't got time to read all the way through again.

Anne

HI Annbluec! I am a fellow English gal (from York) due to embark on the 12 night itin from NJ, but on 16th March 08. I am 39 and DH 47, and 2 boys 10 and 13.We have cruised RCI twice, P & O 3 times and Disney once.

Like I said, I have been on P & O three times (twice Oriana and once Oceana on shoprt weekend trips). I have been happy with them but to be honest, prefer Royal Caribbean. The food and service I think is better and friendlier. It is a more up beat party atmosphre with music without being brash and distasteful on RCI. The decor is breathtaking. I have only been on Legend of the Seas twice (once from Southampton for Europe and once from Tampa to Western Caribbean), much smaller than Explorer and old but beautiful.Service and food just as good both times.

My last P & O was on Oriana, a 2 nighter, 2 weeks ago. To be honest, I was rather disappointed with all aspects compared with RCI.My Kids had never been on P & O before as I usually go on shorter cruise with a girlfriend (like yourself:D ;) ) but they said they preferred Royal Caribbean,sstyle, service, and most of all fun atmosphere.All the staff are from every area of the world and have badges to say where they are from, one head waiter was from Rotherham, England! Ours was Hungarian.Again, taking with the international staff makes an intersting experience. You will have a wonderful time I am sure. I too cannot wait!

WE have booked 1 night pre-cruise and 2 night post cruise in NYC. WE have been before but kids not and they cannot wait! You will find the majority are American travellers on the cruise and to be honest, this adds to our enjoyment as they make the trip so interesting and they are interested in you because you are British (well many are, not all I am sure!), asking about politics, royals etc, and conversations can be really fantastic! The kids love talking Amercan football (Being Tampa Bay buccaneer fans) and the American kids ask about soccer! All in all fantastic cultural experience!:)

Top-Tip - when you fill in your documents (the on-line docs or it might say on the documents they post)where it asks you to tick if you want YOUR bank or the ship to convert the dollars spent on your onboard account if paid by credit card, at the end, chose YOUR OWN BANK - you will get much better rate than the ship gives you and in 12 days could save you alot:)

Let me know how you get on and enjoy your 50th!!!!

By the way, which p & O have you been on? I have been in a JS on RCI and was very nice, ideal for two of you. If you have been on a mini-suite on Oceana, being a former princess ship, this is grander than RCI(more line GS) having marble bathroom with sep shower stall and bath, but is you have been on Aurora or Oriana in a balcony stateroom, this is similar to JS, though RCI JS bit better with full bathroom and lovely balcony.

Hollyanna

Archived