12 night Explorer Southern Caribbean from NJ

mmcruise

Thanks for answering questions.......I am not sure the rest of the 12 nights go to St Maarteen I know the Christmas cruise does not. Am very curious to know about any issues with Mosquitoes? What did you do on the other Islands? Were there 3 formal nights or 2? Were the carpets and sofas and chairs in the cabins newer and not so stained? How was the food and the upkeep of the ship? Sorry to ask so much just so excited about our up coming cruise.

Most of the 12 nighters do go to St Maarten, but to me it's not worth it. Never saw a mosquito and we did proceed into the rainforest on Dominica.

As to the islands, we didn't do much. Having our daughter curtailed much of what we could do. The rain didn't help either.

St Maarten - Early dinner so we got off the beach for just over and hour and headed to the beach. Best price for many of the liqours can be found at the duty free shops at the end of the pier on the right hand side. Bought Johnny Walker Blue for $110, I saw it for $132 and up everywhere else.

Antigua-Daughter was wiped out and took 2 naps, only got off the ship for a couple hours for a little shopping.

Dominica-Booked with Reyno and had a great tour of the island - Beautiful. He had told us it would be about 4-5 hours, it was 6 and could have easily been longer. We had Ashford as our driver and Matilda as our guide, it was very well done.

Barbados- It rained all day. Headed over to Graeme Hall and the bird sanctuary. It was something fun for Nicole.

St Kitts - Due to arriving at 12, Daughter and I stayed aboard for a nap while the rest of the family did the rail tour. We all had a great time. Nicole and I got off for a little shopping. I was amazed at home much of an investment has been made in the port area since 2004. This is an up and coming island, who see the importance of the ships. They will be a major player in cruising for years to come.

St Thomas- Rained most of the day, just did some souviner shopping.

San Juan - Rained early in the morning so the beached were too wet. Walked around Old San Juan and up to the fort.

There are 3 formal nights, 2 smart casual and the rest casual. The last night is what they call Dirty Casual whatever that means.

The ship is showing it age, but nothing that will really affect your cruise. I found it's condition to be funny in the fact, on the Celebrity boards, posters have blasted the Galaxy as being in such horrid conditions and what a great job RCCL does. I never saw the Galaxy in the condition I read on these boards. But I did some of the same problems in condition on both ships. It happens with age. Fogged windows, worn carpets, stains here and there. But you are there to have a great time not go over the ship with a microscope

If you are trivia buffs, hit it early as they don't have enough good trivia for a 12 night cruise. Hopefully it improves over time

Most of the 12 nighters do go to St Maarten, but to me it's not worth it. Never saw a mosquito and we did proceed into the rainforest on Dominica.

As to the islands, we didn't do much. Having our daughter curtailed much of what we could do. The rain didn't help either.

St Maarten - Early dinner so we got off the beach for just over and hour and headed to the beach. Best price for many of the liqours can be found at the duty free shops at the end of the pier on the right hand side. Bought Johnny Walker Blue for $110, I saw it for $132 and up everywhere else.

Antigua-Daughter was wiped out and took 2 naps, only got off the ship for a couple hours for a little shopping.

Dominica-Booked with Reyno and had a great tour of the island - Beautiful. He had told us it would be about 4-5 hours, it was 6 and could have easily been longer. We had Ashford as our driver and Matilda as our guide, it was very well done.

Barbados- It rained all day. Headed over to Graeme Hall and the bird sanctuary. It was something fun for Nicole.

St Kitts - Due to arriving at 12, Daughter and I stayed aboard for a nap while the rest of the family did the rail tour. We all had a great time. Nicole and I got off for a little shopping. I was amazed at home much of an investment has been made in the port area since 2004. This is an up and coming island, who see the importance of the ships. They will be a major player in cruising for years to come.

St Thomas- Rained most of the day, just did some souviner shopping.

San Juan - Rained early in the morning so the beached were too wet. Walked around Old San Juan and up to the fort.

There are 3 formal nights, 2 smart casual and the rest casual. The last night is what they call Dirty Casual whatever that means.

The ship is showing it age, but nothing that will really affect your cruise. I found it's condition to be funny in the fact, on the Celebrity boards, posters have blasted the Galaxy as being in such horrid conditions and what a great job RCCL does. I never saw the Galaxy in the condition I read on these boards. But I did some of the same problems in condition on both ships. It happens with age. Fogged windows, worn carpets, stains here and there. But you are there to have a great time not go over the ship with a microscope

If you are trivia buffs, hit it early as they don't have enough good trivia for a 12 night cruise. Hopefully it improves over time

Thanks so much for answering my questions. I bet dirty casual means after 12 days of clothes you probably might be working on having a hard time finding something clean to wear, hence........Dirty Casual. LOL who knows. Glad you had a good time. Can't wait for my turn.

Booze brothers - we are in 1324 in March on the 12 nighter!!... glad to hear it is in good shape... hope it stays that was for 12 weeks at least! Did you find it really handy for everything being so central? How did you find the Concierge Lounge? Did you have to fight your way in or was it ok at certain times? Glad you had a fun time but unfortunate it seemed like you had alot of rain:( Hollyanna

Booze brothers - we are in 1324 in March on the 12 nighter!!... glad to hear it is in good shape... hope it stays that was for 12 weeks at least! Did you find it really handy for everything being so central? How did you find the Concierge Lounge? Did you have to fight your way in or was it ok at certain times? Glad you had a fun time but unfortunate it seemed like you had alot of rain:( Hollyanna
Actually, the had two locations set for the nightly drinks. The CL was just too crowded and many of us headed to the Chamber, the secondary location. It was nice and quiet with a lot more room.

We were far aft and were a little disappointed we gave Mimi our cabin. We originally booked 1324 but switched to an aft family cabin. It was too far of a walk. 1324 is a great location. I know only because we were consitantly walking by the hump thinking how great it would be not to have to walk so far.

Can you please write some sort of review. Am interested in know about your experiences especially with Antigua, Dominica, Barbados and St Kitts....We will be sailing Christmas and have a lot of people who want to know.

Thanks

We didn't do any tours in the islands, we only shopped in the ports. It was disappointing getting to St. Marteen so late since this is a great port to tour and shop. Most of the shopping was just a short walk from where the ship docks.

We are going out 2/3/08 from there. Was wondering if RCCL has bus service from Washington DC.

I know Entertainment Tours runs buses from Boston and Providence, so I imagine another bus company must be running buses from Washington/Baltimore. Maybe you should start a new threat for info on buses from your area.

We are looking forward to our 2/24 12 nighter! thanks for all the info, 2 ice shows right??

No, the ice show ran must have been 5 or 6 times over the 12 nights. The show is called Spirit of the Seasons based on the 4 seasons. Plenty of chances to see it.

Extra formal night is the day of Dominica. Quest is the night of San Juan. Ship and island time are one in the same.

I just checked back in to CC after a week or so away (holidays, and with our next booked cruise over a year away, too far off to think about every day or I'd make myself nuts!), and happy to see the posts from those of you who were on the first 12 nighter from Bayonne.

Looking forward to (hoping for!) more longer reviews...

Actually, the had two locations set for the nightly drinks. The CL was just too crowded and many of us headed to the Chamber, the secondary location. It was nice and quiet with a lot more room.

We were far aft and were a little disappointed we gave Mimi our cabin. We originally booked 1324 but switched to an aft family cabin. It was too far of a walk. 1324 is a great location. I know only because we were consitantly walking by the hump thinking how great it would be not to have to walk so far.

That's great news about the concierge lounge. Last time we had access to it , it was standing room only. This time our family has 2 RFS so their will be 11 of us. It's great that royal caribbean is accomodating the large numbers. Now can you tell me if there are two Concierges , one in each place? Was the 2nd location the same set up ? as far as appetizers and drinks are concerned (help yourself)?

That's great news about the concierge lounge. Last time we had access to it , it was standing room only. This time our family has 2 RFS so their will be 11 of us. It's great that royal caribbean is accomodating the large numbers. Now can you tell me if there are two Concierges , one in each place? Was the 2nd location the same set up ? as far as appetizers and drinks are concerned (help yourself)?
We were in RFS 8394. It worked out well and really enjoyed the cabin. It is a long walk to the elevators. They had a full set up in the Chamber someone acting at the Concierge. It was only open 5-8:30. Outside those times, you have to use the CL on deck 9

We were in RFS 8394. It worked out well and really enjoyed the cabin. It is a long walk to the elevators. They had a full set up in the Chamber someone acting at the Concierge. It was only open 5-8:30. Outside those times, you have to use the CL on deck 9

Hey that's our room!!! 8394 . The rest of the family has 8694 next door. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I think i have a few questions.

First did you get any extra's in the room (robes , slippers, toiletries, bottle of wine, appetizers or water).

Is there a DVD or VCR?

Is there a tv in all bedrooms?

How is the condition of the furniture?

Did you love the balcony?

How is the closet space?

We just can't wait. We were hoping to open the balconies up but I found out that their bolted pretty good so we will have to go thru the hallway.

Archived