1 yr old - what to bring?

ama

We will be bringing our 1 year old daughter on a NCL cruise with us (currently deciding between Hawaii or Caribbean). I am completey lost on what I need to bring. Do they have cribs? Or do I need to bring my own "pack 'n play"?

What about her car seat (ie. if we take tours, rent a car, take taxis)? Does NCL provide or have these?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. This is the first vacation we've ever taken her on. We will also be flying with her for the first time!

We will be bringing our 1 year old daughter on a NCL cruise with us (currently deciding between Hawaii or Caribbean). I am completey lost on what I need to bring. Do they have cribs? Or do I need to bring my own "pack 'n play"?

What about her car seat (ie. if we take tours, rent a car, take taxis)? Does NCL provide or have these?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. This is the first vacation we've ever taken her on. We will also be flying with her for the first time!

They will provide you with a pack n play or crib of some sort. They won't provide you with car seat. A lot of Taxis in the Caribbean don't have seat belts. Spend some time perusing the first couple of pages here and a lot of your questions that you have and that you have never thought of may be answered. Others will be here soon to help out as well.

For my one year old twins, I was glad to have their bouncie seats, which fold up quite nicely into luggage and are light, but if you're bringing a car seat, that could be used for the same purpose. Also, a blow up pool is useful with or without a little water inside as a playpen on deck, on the beach and as a bathtub in the shower of the cabin.

There have been great lists posted here. Do a search with the word "list" on the family forums and you'll find a wealth of info.

Best,

Mia

We did a cruise in Jan 07 with our 13 month old and this is what we brought with us:

*Pack and Play (I had heard that sometimes there is a shortage on these so we brought our own)

*A week and a half's worth of diapers and wipes

*Car Seat (for the taxis in the US. There was no way in the world we were going to try and install them into the taxis in Mexico though.

*Lightweight umbrella stroller. (We have a Chicco Caddy that is extremely lightweight, easy to clean, and easy to fold up quickly)

*Sippy cups

*A few Gerber Graduates meals for those days when DS just didn't want anything that was being served at the Lido deck or the dining room

*A small selection of toys that he could play with if DH or myself were busy getting ready. Also a small selection of books is handy too.

*A portable DVD player and some of your little ones favorite movies is handy to have too.

*We brought a blow up duckie tub that was a waste of space and money so don't worry about bringing that. If your little one is not used to showers you can make a very shallow tub out of the shower by putting a washcloth over the drain for a bit. Our little guy was fine with that. plus he liked playing with the shower head that we put on the floor of the shower. LOL

I think that's it. I'm sure I'm forgetting something or another though. Hope this all helps.

Oh yeah! I remember what else!! HAVE A GOOD TRIP and TRY TO RELAX! LOL ;) :D

Don't forget laundry detergent (for handwashing in the sink and stain spotting) and dish detergent (to wash out sippy cups). In addition to sippy cups for the kids I also bring a water bottle and a travel coffee mug for me. I also bring vests for my kids that I can take off the ship onto excursions. And baby tylenol and a night light. And sunscreen, too. Some people like the disposable "bibsters" but my kids rip them off.

Most importantly, bring a light attitude and few expectations and you'll have a good time :D

Don't forget laundry detergent (for handwashing in the sink and stain spotting) and dish detergent (to wash out sippy cups). In addition to sippy cups for the kids I also bring a water bottle and a travel coffee mug for me. I also bring vests for my kids that I can take off the ship onto excursions. And baby tylenol and a night light. And sunscreen, too. Some people like the disposable "bibsters" but my kids rip them off.

Most importantly, bring a light attitude and few expectations and you'll have a good time :D

AHA! You remembered what I had forgotten Shellie! I purchased a really small $1 bottle that I put dishwashing detergent in for my son's sippy cups. I've found that snack sized ziptoc bags are perfect for a load of laundry. So much cheaper to do this than the prices that you'll see in the laundry rooms.

Oh also, a big one! Try to get a sippy cup with a belt attachment included. I walked around the entire cruise last time with my fanny pack which was full of snacks and our S&S cards, my son's sippy cup, and my camera pack all on my waist. It made things much more comfortable as I had my hands free at all times.

(I know fanny packs have gotten a bad rap sometimes but they are so useful when on a cruise with a little one!) :)

We are cruising on Carnival in early January. We'll be taking our daughter, who'll be 26 months at the time.

We will be flying into Ft Lauderdale and taking a hotel shuttle to the Sheraton at the cruise terminal, then taking the shuttle again the next day to board the ship. I'm really thinking that it does not make sense to take her car seat and try to be hooking it up in a hotel shuttle.

However, I am considering taking her PIP. Mainly because I'm not confident in the quality of what the ship will provide. Is this a false concern?

We are cruising on Carnival in early January. We'll be taking our daughter, who'll be 26 months at the time.

We will be flying into Ft Lauderdale and taking a hotel shuttle to the Sheraton at the cruise terminal, then taking the shuttle again the next day to board the ship. I'm really thinking that it does not make sense to take her car seat and try to be hooking it up in a hotel shuttle.

However, I am considering taking her PIP. Mainly because I'm not confident in the quality of what the ship will provide. Is this a false concern?

Ladylonghorn,

From my past experience the hotel shuttles will require you to have your daughter in a car seat. Even our most recent trip this past June (my son was 18 mos at the time) the hotel shuttle driver informed us that we were required to have our son in his car seat while the vehicle was in motion.

I have heard that there sometimes are problems with the cruise lines having enough pack and plays so we brought ours last time. This time we plan to let DS sleep on the small bed near ours.

We brought the things everyone else has mentioned:

sippy cups

diapers/wipes

dishwashing soap for the sippy cups

a few juice boxes

portable DVD player

small, portable umbrella stroller

a few portable snacks (Cheerios, crackers, etc)

About the PIP's: We didn't bring one either time. On the Carnival Conquest, we had a very sturdy/nice crib. On the Grand Princess, we had a very old, rickety wooden crib that was literally falling apart. We just had our 9 month old sleep w/us in that situation. So, depending on the ship you will be cruising on, bringing the PIP may be a good idea. I wish I had researched the situation on the Grand Princess a little more. Since we had a good experience w/the crib on the Conquest, I was expecting that again.

Another thing about PIP's: even if the ship does have them or appropriate cribs, the sheets they use seem to be the same sheets they use for the bed (@least in our 2 experiences). So, you may want to consider bringing sheets.

Strollers: when our 18 month old son went, we DID use a stroller. However, w/our 9 month old son, we just used the Baby Bjorn and that worked MUCH better. He was happier in it, it was convenient, and took up zero space.

Have a great time!!

Lisa

I would recommend the Caribbean cruise over the Hawaii. If this is her first cruise you don't know how she will react to the boats motion.....at least on the Caribbean cruise you can get her off the ship for a couple of days if she gets ill. And a shorter cruise will get you home faster if she gets really sick.

Also for the plane bring a bottle/sippy cup of water...don't let her drink for a while before the trip so that she will be happy to drink as the plane takes off...the sucking will reduce the pressure in the ears as the plane takes off and will keep her more comfortable during the flight.:)

• 1 month later...
We brought the things everyone else has mentioned:

sippy cups

diapers/wipes

dishwashing soap for the sippy cups

a few juice boxes

portable DVD player

small, portable umbrella stroller

a few portable snacks (Cheerios, crackers, etc)

About the PIP's: We didn't bring one either time. On the Carnival Conquest, we had a very sturdy/nice crib. On the Grand Princess, we had a very old, rickety wooden crib that was literally falling apart. We just had our 9 month old sleep w/us in that situation. So, depending on the ship you will be cruising on, bringing the PIP may be a good idea. I wish I had researched the situation on the Grand Princess a little more. Since we had a good experience w/the crib on the Conquest, I was expecting that again.

Another thing about PIP's: even if the ship does have them or appropriate cribs, the sheets they use seem to be the same sheets they use for the bed (@least in our 2 experiences). So, you may want to consider bringing sheets.

Strollers: when our 18 month old son went, we DID use a stroller. However, w/our 9 month old son, we just used the Baby Bjorn and that worked MUCH better. He was happier in it, it was convenient, and took up zero space.

Have a great time!!

Lisa

Hi Lisa....Do you have any pictures of that crib? I am paranoid to use one of those wooden rickity cribs b/c of an incident w/ one w/ my other daughter. I will be cruising on the Conquest this month w/ my 7 mth old. If you have any pictures of the crib I would really appreciate it...it will help us decide if we should bring our pack n play.

Thanx so much! :)

Archived