Purchasing liquor in St.Maarten question.....

big al

We leave on the Liberty tomorrow,and for the FIRST time,we are going to St.Maarten and NOT St.Thomas.If you've done this,you know you can purchase up to 5 liters of liquor each in St.Thomas because it is part of the U.S. Virgin islands...but in St.Maarten,you can only purchase 1 liter each.Has anybody had any problems bringing back say,8-10 liters from ONLY St.Maarten? Anybody have to pay any taxes on the liquor and if so,how much $$$? Any suggestions or should I just put the bottles away and say nothing?

Big Al

We have been over our allotment a few times. We're always honest about it, and put everything on the form, but we've never been charged. I think it's better to claim everything, instead of risking the chance you might get caught trying to get away with something. :)

Seager & RhondaC-Thanks for your quick replies..that's what I thought I'd do..just be honest and claim it....a couple of bucks is no problem,just didn't want them to say ,"OK,you owe us $50 or $75 tax"....Thanks...

Big Al

Seager & RhondaC-Thanks for your quick replies..that's what I thought I'd do..just be honest and claim it....a couple of bucks is no problem,just didn't want them to say ,"OK,you owe us $50 or $75 tax"....Thanks...

Big Al

You are welcome.

My TA sent this to me a couple of years ago when I had the same question:

If you exceed your duty free allowances and exemptions entering the US the following approximate US duty and tax rates may apply:

US $2 per bottle of liquor

US $4 per carton of cigarettes

Maybe the OP already knows this, but we've found that the farther away from where the ship docks you go, the cheaper the prices are. One time we bought some Dom Perignon chapagne at a "general store" a couple blocks back from the water. It was the cheapest price we found anywhere! This store was a hoot - they sold everything from aspirin to washing machines, but they had some good liquors and prices. Sorry, I don't remember the name - it was several years ago.

You are welcome.

My TA sent this to me a couple of years ago when I had the same question:

If you exceed your duty free allowances and exemptions entering the US the following approximate US duty and tax rates may apply:

US $2 per bottle of liquor

US $4 per carton of cigarettes

They charge not by the bottle but by the proof and size. We are always over and we to always list what we are bringing back. We have never been charged however we are always willing to pay the difference should they choose to charge us:) . As for Cigarettes the last cruise we were on we saw them taking cigarettes back onto the ship as they told the man it says 1 carton per adult. We don't smoke so I am only reporting what I saw at the Miami Port.

We have been over our allotment a few times. We're always honest about it, and put everything on the form, but we've never been charged. I think it's better to claim everything, instead of risking the chance you might get caught trying to get away with something. :)

I've had the same experience. I've gone over the limit a couple times and just declared exactly what I had purchased. If it's only a couple bottles, they most likely won't charge anything, because it's not worth the paperwork.

Don't forget that you CAN NOT carry any bottles over 3 oz onto an airplance (not sure if you are flying home after the cruise). The TSA agents at FLL said they still get many people that try to carry their bottle on board and they get turned away.

We packed a bottle of champagne in our suit case coming home and it made it cross country in one piece:p .

Archived