Venice Review - October 2007

We arrived in Venice at 8:55 a.m. on US Airways of which we booked ourselves. The airport at Venice is one on the cleanest and fastest embarkation processes I have been through. Since I was traveling with my 81 year old mother and 56 year old sister, we opted Celebrity Millennium ship's transfer for $30.00 per person instead of catching a taxi. Upon gathering our bags, we walked out the exit doors and found the Celebrity X sign. We had to pull our luggage outside to the buses - you might seriously consider getting a luggage cart! They then took your luggage except for your carryons. Off we went to the ship's terminal and arrived around 10:30 a.m. Foolishly thinking, we thought we would be able to board the ship, grab a sandwich and head out to Venice. Not the case. We had to wait until 12:00 to board with our carryons, walk down 2 flights of stairs (I tell you this so you will make your carryons light - yeah right!) and what seemed like a couple of blocks to board the ship. We were not allowed in our rooms until 1:00 p.m. but could go the the buffet to eat lunch...then go to our rooms. We were concierge class and our luggage arrived before we could even unpack our carryons. We fought for drawer and cabinet space, unpacked and headed out to Venice around 3:00 p.m. We bought the water shuttle tickets at the shore excursion desk ($20.00 per person roundtrip). In hindsight, I wish we would have headed out earlier and unpacked later so we could have seen more of Venice. Next review: Venice

Just to let you know I really screwed up in Venice because I thought I would have more time since we arrived at 8:55 a.m. in the morning and figured we would be out sightseeing by noon....wrong! After boarding and unpacking (which we should have unpacked later - the hindsight thing) we finally got the water shuttle from our ship the Celebrity Millennium ($20.00 roundtrip per person) and ended up at the dock in Venice at around 3:30 p.m. ( and needed to be back on ship by 6:00 p.m. to eat with my mother).

So, we got off the water shuttle and went left past the San Marco statue and crossed one bridge and turned right onto San Marco Square. It was cold and windy but sunny so we took the clock tower elevator (6 euros per person) to go up and see all of Venice - it was a spectacular view. Then we went across to the Doges Palace and just went throught the main entrance - absolutely stunning. You could go upstairs but we did not have time. We then walked around on some of the back streets and had to go back to the ship.

The 2nd day we were off the ship at 8:20 a.m., took the water shuttle again and at the drop off went left to the first pay station that is yellow and has

S.Zaccaria (it is just to the left of San Marco statue if your back is to the water). We paid 13 euros for roundtrip to Murano and Burano. (Note: you can wait inside the building). Validate your ticket in the yellow box. It took about 50 minutes to get to Murano with all the stops (this is like a city bus so it stops alot). We took about an hour in Murano and headed to Burano...IT IS NOT THE SAME PLACE YOU EXITED TO GET TO THE BURANO SHUTTLE. If you go to the place where you got off the shuttle, turn right and then left when you hit the canal. Go down 2 bridges, turn left , then right at the "street" - there will be a wide courtyard - go to the end and the water taxi stop will be in front of you. It will take about 15 minutes to get to Burano. We took about 1/2 here and headed back on a journey that took over 1 hour to get back - thought we would never make it back. We arrived to catch our 1:30 shuttle back to the ship and 2:00 was the last boarding - Whew! Made it!

So, no canal ride or Rialto Bridge for us....... In retrospect, I would much rather have stayed in Venice since it was our first time there and time was such a factor.....darn, guess we have to go back now!

Next Review: Dubrovnik, Croatia

Off we went to the ship's terminal and arrived around 10:30 a.m. Foolishly thinking, we thought we would be able to board the ship, grab a sandwich and head out to Venice. Not the case. We had to wait until 12:00 to board with our carryons, walk down 2 flights of stairs (I tell you this so you will make your carryons light - yeah right!) and what seemed like a couple of blocks to board the ship. We were not allowed in our rooms until 1:00 p.m.

The Guest Vacation Brochure for my Celebrity cruise stated that "you should arrive at the pier no earlier than 01:00 p."

What did yours say?

The Guest Vacation Brochure for my Celebrity cruise stated that "you should arrive at the pier no earlier than 01:00 p."

What did yours say?

Ours probably said the same thing - but since we were taking the Celebrity transfer, I figured we would be able to board earlier....but I was wrong. They were in the process of cleaning the rooms and the ship. They had posted in the waiting area that we would be able to board at 11:00 a.m. but then moved it back to 12:00 noon. You were given codes as to who would board first...i.e., the Concierge Class, Select Status, etc, got to board first....then the others. Just wanted to let everyone know that may have been staying overnight before hand that there is no need to "rush" over and try to get on the ship earlier....and to also plan your afternoon accordingly. I would think that after 2:00 p.m. it would be less people boarding since most flights come in by 11:30 a.m. and that would give them time to get on board.

We were on th 9/23/07 venice sail, every minute was fanstatic!

We arrived at Venice airport about 11:10 on Sunday, we had two taxi's because there were 6 of us with lots of luggage, but cost was still less than paying $30 per person ship transportation.

Short trip over to Vencie with arrival at luggage check in station, took no more than 10 minutes to check in luggage. Then went over to the next building to check in, this was quick too, no lines. Cabbie knew exactly where we needed to go, so easy to do on your own. We were also CC class, no lines just walked up and checked in, received our gold cards and experience sheer bliss from there.

When you first get on and go to the buffet, you get sucked in.... Don't do it, go to Venice, the time goes by so quickly. Venice is great, you'll have buffet the whole trip dont' get overwhelmed day one, lots of time to experience the buffet.

The trip was great, we're smiling just thinking about it. :D

Archived