What do you tip for Stingray City tour?

regardless1

I have never done this particular excursion but have done many snorkeling excursions. I think alot depends on how long you will be with them (tour Co.) and what exactly they do for you...drinks, entertainment... IMHO we give a minimum of $5 per person for most of ours only because food and drinks were also served and the service really good. Others on the same tour have given $2-$3 each. I am looking forward to reading the responses myself...maybe we've been over or under tipping :eek:.

Enjoy snorkeling with the sting rays...it was one of my favorite excursions!!!

I have always tipped based on the amount of people on the excursion. If there are a bunch of people, you will not get a personal experience. If everybody tips $5, then the guide is being very well taken care of.

Smaller groups require larger tips IMHO. I have never tipped more than like $10 for a 2-3 hour tour, though.

We're doing Moby Dick next month and my intent is to tip about 15% of the tour cost which would be $5/pp. This is assuming good service of course.

Jeanne,

When next month are you doing Moby Dick? I would really be interested in hearing your review. They were one of my choices, but I can't seem to find any reviews on them.

Jeanne,

When next month are you doing Moby Dick? I would really be interested in hearing your review. They were one of my choices, but I can't seem to find any reviews on them.

We're going on our cruise on Dec 8th, I'd be glad to post a review when I get back, you might want to bump this thread in a few weeks just to remind me. There aren't a lot of reviews on Moby Dick but all that I've ever read have been positive.

Jeanne,

I would be interested in what you think of them also. We are going to be using them when we cruise in march!

We're going on our cruise on Dec 8th, I'd be glad to post a review when I get back, you might want to bump this thread in a few weeks just to remind me. There aren't a lot of reviews on Moby Dick but all that I've ever read have been positive.

I will be sure to remind you....I have looked for Moby Dick reviews, and you are right, there are not many. Looking forward to hearing yours.

We usually aim for 10-20% of what the tour costs per person, and adjust based on what the tour is and how involved the guides were and how much fun we had.

So for a $50 excursion, a base tip of about $5, but if the guide had to rescue us from our own stupidity or showed us something very very cool like a nurse shark or something like that, maybe $10. Or if they cooked us lunch instead of just getting something out of a cooler. There are always variables!

And for something that is much more involved like Scuba diving, we would aim for at least 15%. Much more work on the part of the guides.

Archived