Confused-Binocular Question

greatmom

As I understand it, Greatmom was looking for a decent pair of binoculars to take to Alaska and then give to her son for Boy Scout camping. Sorry but I don't understand why folks are telling her about quite expensive (Zeiss, Leica, Steiner, etc.) binoculars.

Having used those binoculars before, I must admit that the optic quality from those names are in general excellent. The law of dimishing return kicks in quickly when the price goes beyond $500, just like many other high end products. For me, I am very happy to get 95% performance of those premium brands from my nikon and zen-ray without spending a fortune. Do I still wish for a Swarovski binocular? You betcha! But I am too cheap to spend $2k on it.

Hi Everyone,

After reading previous threads, I purchased two pairs of the Zen Rays Vista 10 X 42 last month. I just didn’t want to spend more than $100 each but wanted good quality and water proof binoculars for our Alaska cruise as well as our yearly trip to Maui in February (to watch humpback whales). I’m certainly no expert in this topic but I am very happy with the purchase I made. I do however need to say that I never noticed how much my hands shake until I tried these out last week. In hindsight maybe I should have gone with the 8 X 42. But hopefully I will be able to rest my arms on the balcony railing on our cruise and the lounge chair on the beach in Maui.:)

John

Hi Everyone,

After reading previous threads, I purchased two pairs of the Zen Rays Vista 10 X 42 last month. I just didn’t want to spend more than $100 each but wanted good quality and water proof binoculars for our Alaska cruise as well as our yearly trip to Maui in February (to watch humpback whales). I’m certainly no expert in this topic but I am very happy with the purchase I made. I do however need to say that I never noticed how much my hands shake until I tried these out last week. In hindsight maybe I should have gone with the 8 X 42. But hopefully I will be able to rest my arms on the balcony railing on our cruise and the lounge chair on the beach in Maui.:)

John

I always take some mini-breaks every 30sec or so. Sometimes, I found my handshake is coming from my arms being tired for holding binoculars for too long. But in general, 8x will feel less handshake than 10x model.

I just found Canon 10x42L IS is on clearance here for $800. It is not cheap, but everywhere else costs at least $150 more. It uses electronic image stabilizer and might be useful for some people.

Very interesting......I gave my DH a pair of Zen-Rays Summit 10x42 for Christmas and he gave me a Vista 8x42 and neither of us knew. They are great and we love them, love them. Can hardly wait to use them in Alaska. Thanks CC board.

Very interesting......I gave my DH a pair of Zen-Rays Summit 10x42 for Christmas and he gave me a Vista 8x42 and neither of us knew. They are great and we love them, love them. Can hardly wait to use them in Alaska. Thanks CC board.

LOL. I got a 8x42 Vista for DH. After using it for a while, we figured we need one pair for each of us. So we got a 10x42 summit for me. :) I guess I am getting a better deal here. We have been using them from our living room from time to time to do people watching across street. Only 200+ more days before our trip.

• 3 weeks later...

Usually difference in optical quality (clearer and denser glass, better coatings). The higher the optical quality, the better the image...for example, a very high quality pair of 8x binoculars will give you a more detailed view than a lower quality pair of 10x binoculars...

Usually, for mid priced binoculars, you get what you pay for (although sometimes can find good deals on e-bay, if you know what you're buying)...

There have been some discussion about their difference on a different thread. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=656182

Whale-watcher has given some very good advice. From my own experience, summit is brighter, has wider viewing angle, better image quality. Those all come from better glasses and anti-reflection coatings. With that said, you should consider is how often you might use them in the future.

Actually: I use my binoculars at home almost daily. either i am spying on the neighbors or checking out the wildlife in my back yard so they definitely wouldn't sit on the shelf. Thanks Joan
We keep a pair by the window all the time as well!

if you use them daily, you should buy the best pair you can afford...unlike electronics, high quality binoculars do not go obsolete, and can be used by many generations (my son uses a pair of Zeiss binoculars that belonged to my father):)

Actually: I use my binoculars at home almost daily. either i am spying on the neighbors or checking out the wildlife in my back yard so they definitely wouldn't sit on the shelf. Thanks Joan

What kind of binoculare are you using now?

I too always leave a pair of binoculars by the window so we can check out those little visitors coming to our backyard. I also have an inexpensive monocular in my car just in case.

• 1 month later...
Looking at a pair of Nikon Monarch 8x40s. They appear to be a good pair for the price. Does anyone have any experience with these?

We are too. Looked at several in the store that were discussed here on the boards, and we liked these. Actually, I think we are getting the 8X42. We have a place at the river, so we are looking forward to having a decent pair to use there, as well.

I don't mind spending the extra money on the summits if they are worth it but what makes one pair almost 100.00 better than the other? Joan

I had similar dilemma when I was looking at some bushnell binoculars: for the same 10x42, I saw several models pricing from $40 to $600.:eek: Since I didn't want to spend over $200 on gadgets for this trip, summit fits perfectly within our budget. So far, we have been very happy.

I don't mind spending the extra money on the summits if they are worth it but what makes one pair almost 100.00 better than the other? Joan

I don't have any experience with Vista. I have to say that I am very satisfied with my summit. I often like to compare it with Bushnell Elite2 we bought for the last trip. It might not be the most popular idea on this board, but I really enjoy more with 8x binoculars than 10x.

I don't have any experience with Vista. I have to say that I am very satisfied with my summit. I often like to compare it with Bushnell Elite2 we bought for the last trip. It might not be the most popular idea on this board, but I really enjoy more with 8x binoculars than 10x.
You are not alone...I personally find 8x bins to be more comfortable to use, especially in low light situations. My son and DW prefer 10x...it is purely a matter of personal choice.

You are not alone...I personally find 8x bins to be more comfortable to use, especially in low light situations. My son and DW prefer 10x...it is purely a matter of personal choice.

I am glad to see that I am not alone on this. I thought I was getting too old to handle 10x. lol.

Looking at a pair of Nikon Monarch 8x40s. They appear to be a good pair for the price. Does anyone have any experience with these?

I just bought a pair of 8x42 Monarchs and LOVE them. After reading this thread a few weeks ago I went look for a new pair of binoculars (I use them for vacation and sports). I told the guy at the store that I didn't want to spend more than $100 but when I started looking through different types of binoculars I found out there definitely are differences from lower priced and the higher priced. You definitely get more light, better color, better clarity, etc. the higher price you go. I think I got my pair on sale for about $275. I even looked at some very very expensive ones but I didn't see that much of a difference to warrant spending that much (which I never would have done....rather spend the money on cruises). I think people think that a $50 pair is as good as a higher priced pair but after looking through binoculars of all prices I can tell you that there is defintely a huge difference. But, like everything else, it just depends what someone wants to spend on something.

All I can say to someone that is looking for a pair of binoculars is, go to a good store (hunting, fishing, higher end sporting goods, etc.) and look through different priced binoculars and you will see the difference.

For nearly half the price of the Monarchs I have been hearing/reading good things about the Nikon Action Extreme 8x40s. Wonder if the cost savings over the Monarchs is worth it?
These are porro prism binoculars, and will be less weather resistant, and are also larger and bulkier than the roof-prism monarchs. You pay more for roof prism binoculars similar optical quality, but it is generally worth the extra investment.

• 3 weeks later...
LOL. I got a 8x42 Vista for DH. After using it for a while, we figured we need one pair for each of us. So we got a 10x42 summit for me. :) I guess I am getting a better deal here. We have been using them from our living room from time to time to do people watching across street. Only 200+ more days before our trip.

we have our summit 10x42 for over a year and couldn't be happier. Just bought a pair of vista for DD last week for her trip to Yosemite next month. It is light and crisp and very well worthy it.

we have our summit 10x42 for over a year and couldn't be happier. Just bought a pair of vista for DD last week for her trip to Yosemite next month. It is light and crisp and very well worthy it.

Did you get the 10x42 Vista? We have the 10x42 Summits, and are very happy. I'm considering the Vista as a second pair for Alaska. I thought they would be lighter weight for me to handle.

Did you get the 10x42 Vista? We have the 10x42 Summits, and are very happy. I'm considering the Vista as a second pair for Alaska. I thought they would be lighter weight for me to handle.

Yes, we got 10x42 VISTA. It is slightly lighter, but you have to put them side by side to feel the difference. I have small hands and don't have any issue holding it.

Thanks for the information....I wans't sure which way to go as I only have need for a pair when I travel once or twice a year!

Thanks Again

You probably do not want to spend money on the top binoculars since couple of times a year is hard to justify the cost. If you stay in a suite, they sometimes have a pair of binocular as part of the perks. It is not very good at best, however. Another option is to get some inexpensive ones, like Nikon, Zen-ray, Bushnell, a few brands mentioned on this board.

Archived