Belize Cave Tubing

ecat522

All we saw last year were bugs and bats. The bugs didn't bite and the bats were hanging from the roof of part of the caves. We wore bug spray though. According to our guide, the popularity of cave tubing and the disregard that a lot of tour groups show for the environment have pretty much gotten rid of any other wildlife in the areas that they use.

My son and DIL went cave tubing when they were in Belize and enjoyed it so much they suggested we do the same. Their experience was a leisure walk and gentle float through the caves. However, our experience was very different.

When we were there, it had been raining all morning. So I'm assuming that played a role in our excursion. Our walk/hike was in mud and our guide didn't encourage stopping or even slowing down to take a look (or take pics) at the fauna. I thought it would be like a lazy river float, but the current was fairly strong and the guide was really pushing us along to keep moving. Thank goodness my husband linked to me and kept moving me in the right direction or I'd probably still be stuck in a whirlpool. I was relieved to be on dry land. To top the whole thing off, our bus got a flat tire,in the middle of nowhere, on the way back to the ship. We transferred to another bus and were back on our ship in PLENTY of time. But I was stressed, checking my watch every 5 minutes.

So saying that, would I try it again??? Probably, but I wouldn't book the tour until I was on the ship and knew the weather. I'd also look at the different tours and find one that stressed leisurely hike and float.

Sharon

My son and DIL went cave tubing when they were in Belize and enjoyed it so much they suggested we do the same. Their experience was a leisure walk and gentle float through the caves. However, our experience was very different.

When we were there, it had been raining all morning. So I'm assuming that played a role in our excursion. Our walk/hike was in mud and our guide didn't encourage stopping or even slowing down to take a look (or take pics) at the fauna. I thought it would be like a lazy river float, but the current was fairly strong and the guide was really pushing us along to keep moving. Thank goodness my husband linked to me and kept moving me in the right direction or I'd probably still be stuck in a whirlpool. I was relieved to be on dry land. To top the whole thing off, our bus got a flat tire,in the middle of nowhere, on the way back to the ship. We transferred to another bus and were back on our ship in PLENTY of time. But I was stressed, checking my watch every 5 minutes.

So saying that, would I try it again??? Probably, but I wouldn't book the tour until I was on the ship and knew the weather. I'd also look at the different tours and find one that stressed leisurely hike and float.

Sharon

To piggyback on thisperson's comments, I HIGHLY suggest that you do NOT book the tour through Carnival. Check out the Belize forum and you will get more info, but the private tours for this particular excursion are much better than the Carnival tour. In particular, cavetubing dot com and the tour offered by Yhonny make sure everyone in your group is linked together and the guides make sure everyone is safe and having a good time. I saw the Carnival tour when I was out there, and everyone was floating on their own and running into walls, etc. The private tours are much better, IMO.

Also, this poster is right, it depends on the time of the year and whether it's rained recently. The day we were there (mid September), the water was pretty calm and slow moving.

I second the motion on a private company...The carnival group is usually around 80-100 people (or more)..and part of the fun is the tranquility of the caves...not so with a large group. Check the belize boards...I've done this twice..both with the same company (don not remember which one)..but they specialize in small groups - no more than 12...and cheaper than the cruise's.

And don't forget the lunch afterwards...for $5 or $6..chicken with beans/rice and desert..plus.

Definitely an experience to enjoy.

Please be careful recomending that people not to book with the cruise line. I would like to tell you what happened in our case. DH and I took a cave tubing tour a couple of years ago in Belize with what at that time was a reputable tour company. Unfortunately for us they didn't have enough people booked on a cave tubing tour that day and gave our booking to another company we had looked at, but did not book with since we had heard some unflattering things about. Well we went and we were very sorry we did. Let me just say that I was scared to death as dh was way behind me and both the tour guides left us in very dark caves. Luckily dh caught up with me and together we got out of the caves and down the river un hurt, but things might not have worked out so well had we not been lucky. At least with a ships tour you have someone to complain to. We had no one and were just happy to return to town vowing to never do that again!

Check out all the options very carefully before you decide to go off on your own, and if you don't feel confortable with any part of it be safe and stick with the ship's tour.

Unfortunately for us they didn't have enough people booked on a cave tubing tour that day and gave our booking to another company we had looked at, but did not book with since we had heard some unflattering things about.

least with a ships tour you have someone to complain to. .

You could have cancelled, you did not hire that company.

Who would you have complained to??

the ship does not take any responsibility for excursions, except get you back to the ship on time.

Carnivals excursion is the same, we were on teh private excursion and rescued a few people trapped in the caves and the guides just left them there, they didn't even know they were missing, the river was very swift that day because of the heavy rains earlier, the guides should have payed more attention!!!

Archived