Cenotes in Cozumel

abitaturbodog

How do you find them? I've looked at the Cozumel Insider website and there doesn't seem to be any information about them.

Should we just hop into a cab and ask the driver?

The driver would get a laugh at that. The reason being is that the Cenotés are on the mainland. If you did this on your own, you'd have to first take a ferry to the mainland, then make your way to one of the cenotés. For mainland tours, I personally think it might be a bit safer to go with the ship's excursion.

If you are still interested in knowing more about going on your own with a private tour, check http://www.travelnotes.cc/cancun/tours/cenotesnorkeling.php

You are partially right. The mainland has cenote diving and snorkeling tours.

However there are cenotes on Cozumel, but not snorkeler zoned.

Scuba divers need to be cave certified to explore them.

Exactly, and as such, they are beyond the scope of the OP's question so there was no need for me to mention them.

Bruce,

We are going to port in Playa Del Carmen. How much do you know about this outfit that does the snorkeling tours for the link you posted. We have been looking at Hidden Worlds but they do not give an option to snorkel Dos Ojos like this place does. We have to snorkle this trip, have the kids with us, they snorkle but not dive yet. We are renting a car, driving to Tulum, then wanted to snorkle Dos Ojos after that. Kids have seen the Imax movie so really want to do that spot. Thanks for any help.

Bruce,

We are going to port in Playa Del Carmen. How much do you know about this outfit that does the snorkeling tours for the link you posted. We have been looking at Hidden Worlds but they do not give an option to snorkel Dos Ojos like this place does. We have to snorkle this trip, have the kids with us, they snorkle but not dive yet. We are renting a car, driving to Tulum, then wanted to snorkle Dos Ojos after that. Kids have seen the Imax movie so really want to do that spot. Thanks for any help.

I have booked a hotel stay in Cozumel thru Travelnotes.cc It was around the time of Wilma and they offered a complete refund is we decided we didn't want to go there right after the hurricane, even though the hotel was going to be re-opened by the time we got there. I'd trust them again.

They are only a booking agent for the tours they offer, but I don't think they sell tours that aren't decent. I think they are actually booking this tour for Hidden Worlds as I read the starting point for the tour is Hidden Worlds dive shop located along the main coastal highway, 30 minutes south of Playa Del Carmen.

There is Cenote on Cozumel that can be dived (not sure about snorkeling) do not know much about it though but it is listed on the Cozumel dive site map.

In Playa I dove the Dos Ojos Cenote last Wednesday Nov, 14th through Edventures and had a ball. Nice combo tour. First you dive or snorkel the Dos Ojos Cenote then you go to Akumal for two different snorkel stops, one is at a resort right on the ocean (beautiful) and the other is at another resort with a nice sheltered inlet/lagoon which is quite narrow probably no more than 50 feet across that shelters a wide variety of small fish. At the first stop we saw large Sea Turtles maybe 7 or 8 of them eating the sea grass and I also saw a huge swirling school of silver fish (probably 500 together) they do this to confuse a predator so I looked on the peripherary and saw a large baraccuda probably 4 feet long hovering next to the school. They also bring to lunch (not included in price) at a place called La Buena Vida which is a nice funky little place on the beach.

Just to note the Dos Ojos Cenote is a must dive for the experience!

Tom

Archived