Knock off watches in Straw Market?

FMCowboy

I got a rolex at the straw market 2 years ago for about 25.00...way cheaper than here in Texas. Its actually the shake kind and has no battery. It still runs but kinda hard to set. Also have gotten purses and sunglasses there 3 times for my daughters. They run about 25 to 40 depending on how big. I paid 30 for chanel purses in August but I bought 3 so got them cheaper. They have every kind of purse you could imagine.

I got a rolex at the straw market 2 years ago for about 25.00...way cheaper than here in Texas. Its actually the shake kind and has no battery. It still runs but kinda hard to set. Also have gotten purses and sunglasses there 3 times for my daughters. They run about 25 to 40 depending on how big. I paid 30 for chanel purses in August but I bought 3 so got them cheaper. They have every kind of purse you could imagine.

I would be very careful coming back into the US with any type of knock off. If customs finds it, you could be inconvenienced.

The knock offs are horrible. They are poorly made and do not pass for the real thing.

My ex bought a fake Rolex watch and everyone laughed at it.

The fake Chanel bags have mistakes in the sewing and look totally FAKE.

If you are lucky enough to find a fake Louis Vuiton they will cost about $200 per bag and seem very well made.

I just bought a fake Gucci and a fake Prada while there and my friend bought 2 fake coach's...they seem to be in decent shape (the linings are horrible though). I paid $40 for the Gucci (had seen a purse almost identical to it at a purse party in the states for $80) and I paid $35 for the Prada (after MUCH negotiation). I think I could have gotten a better deal if I would have bought 2 from the same person like my friend did, I think she paid $50 total for both.

It is illegal to buy knockoffs thats why people are getting busted for having purse parties, however, if you remove all the filling and plastic customs will have a hard time proving you didn't buy it in the states and they would have to call in a "purse expert", lol, to tell you its a fake.

My friend husband works for customs and I know there is no way he could tell a real from a fake...they'd have to bring in some pretty trained people. As long as you're not buying extreme quantities and trying to bring those in you shouldn't have a problem (we didn't). Also going through customs at least in Miami was the easiest place I've ever had to clear customs...all they asked about was alcohol and tobacco...nothing else.

Have Fun!!!

I can tell you the customs people in Australia can spot a knock off from a mile away. I would be very surprised if your customs people were any different given the size of the problem.

The easiest way to spot a knock off is just look at the clothes the person is wearing (apart from the terrible stitching, the plastic lining, spelling mistakes in the logo)

Try to avoid buying knock off Coach especailly. The lining inside ALWAYS rips apart, the zippers are horrible, and they don't look that great.

Not worth the $40 bucks or so obviously. If you CAN find a nice one, look it over really well......

Good luck and shop wisely!! :)

Am I the only one who thinks that purposly buying fake merchandise is silly

no, you are not alone on this. Sometimes it's just impulse buying though. Looks real, feels real, great price. (been there done that!) The problem is a few weeks down the road the whole purse falls apart. Coach purses (my favorites) are pricey, like most designer bags, but I find the extra price tag is worth it. Mine have lasted for years and hold up so well. I have owned a few knock offs, but like I said, after a few weeks to months, they are in the trash can.

I never realized there was anything wrong with buying fake watches like Rolex as long as they were sold as fakes. Guess I have been sheltered. I bought three fake Rolexes in China for a total of 5 US dollars. They still work fine after three years. The investment in the batteries alone was worth it. I would never try to pass them off to anyone else as real.

The easiest way to spot a knock off is just look at the clothes the person is wearing (apart from the terrible stitching, the plastic lining, spelling mistakes in the logo)

Hmm... Remind me to always wear my best when I am carrying my REAL Coach bags. I would rather pay dearly for a classic bag I will use over and over for years than one I would need to replace every 3 months or so. However, I hardly wear clothes that cost as much as my bag.

Oh no, I went to the grocery store this morning carrying my genuine $300 Coach brown patchwork tote. I was wearing cheap athletic capris and a $5 top from Old Navy. I wonder if the woman behind me in line thought my bag was a knockoff?!

OP, whatever you decide to buy at the straw market, have a great cruise!

Hmm... Remind me to always wear my best when I am carrying my REAL Coach bags. I would rather pay dearly for a classic bag I will use over and over for years than one I would need to replace every 3 months or so. However, I hardly wear clothes that cost as much as my bag.

Oh no, I went to the grocery store this morning carrying my genuine $300 Coach brown patchwork tote. I was wearing cheap athletic capris and a $5 top from Old Navy. I wonder if the woman behind me in line thought my bag was a knockoff?!

OP, whatever you decide to buy at the straw market, have a great cruise!

I was thinking the same thing, but was waiting for someone else to say it first!

I had my knock off Prada wearing my $300 Ann Taylor suit, and then I had my $348 dollar Coach while wearing my Target Sweat outfit. Hmmmm...:D

Am I the only one who thinks paying several hundred dollars for a purse (just because of the brand name) is silly? :rolleyes:

I would NEVER pay that much. The highest I have ever paid is $348, and even that is too much really, I just happen to like the fact that Coach holds up extremely well (imo)..

I was thinking the same thing, but was waiting for someone else to say it first!

I had my knock off Prada wearing my $300 Ann Taylor suit, and then I had my $348 dollar Coach while wearing my Target Sweat outfit. Hmmmm...:D

Great minds! I would love to be on a cruise with you some day :)! Maybe in 09 when the Mariner starts the Mexican Riviera itinerary ;).

Great minds! I would love to be on a cruise with you some day :)! Maybe in 09 when the Mariner starts the Mexican Riviera itinerary ;).

yep!

Funny, we are MOST LIKELY booking Mariner in August 09. (have a tiny but more convincing to do on my hubby darnit!)

Nothing like having one of my Favorite ships 40 minutes away from me!

Am I the only one who thinks paying several hundred dollars for a purse (just because of the brand name) is silly? :rolleyes:

Heck no. We go to Nassau several times a year on "Purse Runs". I have several for over 3 yrs and not one has fallen apart yet. If so , big deal, I'll just get another. We were in Woodfiled Mall in Chiocago last month, went into the Coach store there. Sales clerk came up and complimenting me and asked where I got my purse as she had not seen that style yet. I just did not have the heart to embarrass her for not knowing a fake from the real thing. Perhaps she was new.

i guess being a first timer i should not buy anything that is considered having a little fun guess i should be like the seasoned people and stay away from straw market? any other "oh great unfun ones ideas"

nah.....buy it if it seems like a good deal! Just be super careful and pull and tug and squish and well.....you know....make sure it will hold up for ya! At least for a month!;)

Hey I have bought a couple of those $10 watches from the ship and one lasted almost 2 years! I love straw markets, there are more things to buy besides watches and purses:)

Most European countries have now made it illegal to purchase "knockoffs" and will confiscate them and can file criminal charges against both the seller and the purchaser. It may be a matter of time before the US joins in - there is a lot of pressure from the design industry to get control over this. Most knockoffs are connected to either organized crime or child and/or slave labor - somewhere down the line. Don't mean to be the downer - or even criticize those who have bought them - I did too in the past but there has been a lot of investigation into just how damaging this can be - not to the designers necessarily but to the labor force. Food for thought...

Most European countries have now made it illegal to purchase "knockoffs" and will confiscate them and can file criminal charges against both the seller and the purchaser. It may be a matter of time before the US joins in - there is a lot of pressure from the design industry to get control over this. Most knockoffs are connected to either organized crime or child and/or slave labor - somewhere down the line. Don't mean to be the downer - or even criticize those who have bought them - I did too in the past but there has been a lot of investigation into just how damaging this can be - not to the designers necessarily but to the labor force. Food for thought...

While I would certainly care if I found that organized crime or child labor were involved, I am not really worried about the designers. It is not like people are buying the knock offs in place of the real thing. People that want - and can afford - the real thing will buy it. People buy knock offs because they are a cheap, fun accessory......

While I would certainly care if I found that organized crime or child labor were involved, I am not really worried about the designers. It is not like people are buying the knock offs in place of the real thing. People that want - and can afford - the real thing will buy it. People buy knock offs because they are a cheap, fun accessory......

I agree and see both your valid points :)

Archived