Back to Cunard - two questions.

VCameron

Hello all Cunard lovers,

After two years of absense from dear old Cunard, I have booked again a cruise onboard QM2 - in March, 24 from NYC to the Caribbean. I would like to ask you a couple of questions.

1) I have requested a table for two on Britannia upper level restaurant. I logged into the Voyage Personalizer and found that I have been issued a table for four, although beside it notes scrupulously that a table for two has been requested. It also notes without comments my preference for an Upper Level of the Britannia Restaurant table. What are my chances to actually get a table for two at this particular place? Any tips on what more I should do, perhaps?

2) It was such a nice surprise to see in the Personalizer that informal nights still exist. In our Holland America Line cruise last spring they had been eliminated, leaving only formal and smart (?) casual ones. And even our four promised formal nights became three when on board. Also in our last QM2 Norwegian cruise only formal and casual nights existed. Somehow I had the impression that Carnival intends to end with informal nights fleetwide, and meeting them again brought me nice memories on the QE2. But will it be the case when aboard, or we shall discover their number reduced or even eliminated? Is Cunard's practice to keep its promises on this matter?

I don't want to re-open the formal/casual dressing discussion saga, but I cannot resist adding that personally I would prefer all cruise nights to be formal nights. It creates an elegant, out-of-the-everyday/ordinary atmosphere on board, an aspect that has traditionally differentiated cruise against common land vacations. More particularly, it suits especially Cunard's self-presentation as a traditional, upscale cruise experience. And more practically, it needs fewer clothes to pack on my part. Moreover, the space earned this way on the suitcase can be generously granted to additional dresses of Dear Dame, so that we can both be happy. But since that option seems out of the question for the foreseen future, I am quite content with as more elegant nights (formal/informal) as possible. These will do something to make me remember that I am on a cruise and give me the illusion that our world of globalized homogenisation is just a distant dream. I apologize to my casual-lover friends, but this is Cunard and I feel we have to protect it in the same way as many of them want to save the rapidly disappearing and protected species out there.

(please, apply a smile to all the above)

Thank you all in advance,

Vic

Hello all Cunard lovers,

After two years of absense from dear old Cunard, I have booked again a cruise onboard QM2 - in March, 24 from NYC to the Caribbean. I would like to ask you a couple of questions.

1) I have requested a table for two on Britannia upper level restaurant. I logged into the Voyage Personalizer and found that I have been issued a table for four, although beside it notes scrupulously that a table for two has been requested. It also notes without comments my preference for an Upper Level of the Britannia Restaurant table. What are my chances to actually get a table for two at this particular place? Any tips on what more I should do, perhaps?

2) It was such a nice surprise to see in the Personalizer that informal nights still exist. In our Holland America Line cruise last spring they had been eliminated, leaving only formal and smart (?) casual ones. And even our four promised formal nights became three when on board. Also in our last QM2 Norwegian cruise only formal and casual nights existed. Somehow I had the impression that Carnival intends to end with informal nights fleetwide, and meeting them again brought me nice memories on the QE2. But will it be the case when aboard, or we shall discover their number reduced or even eliminated? Is Cunard's practice to keep its promises on this matter?

I don't want to re-open the formal/casual dressing discussion saga, but I cannot resist adding that personally I would prefer all cruise nights to be formal nights. It creates an elegant, out-of-the-everyday/ordinary atmosphere on board, an aspect that has traditionally differentiated cruise against common land vacations. More particularly, it suits especially Cunard's self-presentation as a traditional, upscale cruise experience. And more practically, it needs fewer clothes to pack on my part. Moreover, the space earned this way on the suitcase can be generously granted to additional dresses of Dear Dame, so that we can both be happy. But since that option seems out of the question for the foreseen future, I am quite content with as more elegant nights (formal/informal) as possible. These will do something to make me remember that I am on a cruise and give me the illusion that our world of globalized homogenisation is just a distant dream. I apologize to my casual-lover friends, but this is Cunard and I feel we have to protect it in the same way as many of them want to save the rapidly disappearing and protected species out there.

Vic

Welcome back, Vic.

I've read that the Upper level of Brittania has more tables for 2, which means if you are up there your chances are quite good.

The first QM2 Caribbean voyage left on Halloween and when they boarded they found the dress code had been changed to be MORE formal than the Voyage Personaliser and their documents stated. So there's still a good chance there, too, that you will find enough formal, or at least more than other ships. And many of us who frequent this Cunard message board have said we pretty much do formal/informal, and the casual ends up being closer to informal. :)

And many of us who frequent this Cunard message board have said we pretty much do formal/informal, and the casual ends up being closer to informal. :)

What I wear for elegant casual would pass the dress code for formal - simple dark suit.

Matthew

Hello all Cunard lovers,

Vic

We also requested a table for two, upper level and was given a table for 4 to ourselves. Much more room to spread out our plates. There are not that many tables for two, I would guess, if the ship is not that full you could end up with a 4.:)

Well when you get all like that, just remember the phrase I currently can't forget! ;)

Evidently you have never had the experience of an NCL cruise with its hairy body parts contests, buckets of beer, the newly wed game (for all ages) and so very much more including the dunagrees with the hammer loops in the diningroom for dinner.

Now that I think about it I might better have said physically turned off in public. Would that be better? But then again I did not wish to be thought of as being "above" the crowd and only wished to convey some alternative styles of cruising.

Evidently you have never had the experience of an NCL cruise with its hairy body parts contests, buckets of beer, the newly wed game (for all ages) and so very much more including the dunagrees with the hammer loops in the diningroom for dinner.

Now that I think about it I might better have said physically turned off in public. Would that be better? But then again I did not wish to be thought of as being "above" the crowd and only wished to convey some alternative styles of cruising.

Song, you didn't say anything inappropriate and we know exactly what you are talking about. Malcolm and I are just, what does he call it?, digging the trenches.

Good evening, Mr Cameron

I just returned from 16 wonderful days on QM2, and have to say that there are informal evenings on board, as well as "elegant casual".

So, the fleetwide change from Carnival does not seem to apply to Cunard.

Of course, there were some exceptions with a few pax roaming around on all evenings dressed as they were going to a football match, but it's easy to tune them out.

Go and enjoy ....

The "other" Vic :)

Hello all Cunard lovers,

Vic

I agree with you entirely which is why we have booked our 1st WC with Cunard. We have also requested a table for two and on our personaliser it states table for six - two requsted. I have spoken to Cunard who state that it is just a matter of course and our request will be looked at on board when they allocate tables which suposedly are on a first come first to get the tables for two basis and as we booked the day the QV WC was released we should be in with a good chance. I would say it may be down to when you booked as to whether or not you get your request. Like Matthew we prefer to dress up rather than down so have as many informal as you like.

Hello Cunard friends,

Thank you all for your answers! It is so nice to find people that think like you!

Since there are almost five months to the beginning of my cruise, I assume that, if the allocation is on a first-come first-served basis, I have not too bad a possibility to end up with a table for two - or, even better, with a table for four exclusively for the use of two- (smile). On my previous cruise, with the ship fully booked, I had contacted Osman (I wonder if he and his wife are still on the QM2) asking him to assign us a table for two. Lo and behold, on the beautiful Upper Level of the Restaurant, the table was ready and waiting for us on the first night of the cruise. But I do not know if this was just an isolated example, or they are usually as accommodating (are they?).

As to formal/informal dressing, the proposal to dress informally in casual nights is just as interesting. And the proposal to wear a dark suit for elegant casual is not only striking, but practical as well (fewer clothes to pack, just an increased variety of neckties...) and, speaking a bit seriously perhaps, it certainly could be applied to all informal nights, to say the least!

I think Cunard, and especially the QM2 - now that the QE2 is departing -, are something special: a historic company and a ship just one of the kind. The QM2 a purposely built ocean liner, unlike the other cruise-boxes out there, able to face the North Atlantic whims. And she is not to be replicated: according to Mr Arison's words, no second QM2 will be built - in an era when four at least identical sisters are the norm, this is unparalleled. She is a ship with an acceptable degree of personality in a standardized and homogenized market. So, dressing nicely would be a nice way to honour her (smile) and help a traditional and refined way of cruising survive in today's high seas.

Many thanks and Bon Voyages to all,

Vic

(who sends his special regards to the one and only Vic of this forum, the Parrot)

Somehow, it lacks the sophistication of a game like Canapes and Cleavages. :D

David

• 2 weeks later...
Hello all Cunard lovers,

After two years of absense from dear old Cunard, I have booked again a cruise onboard QM2 - in March, 24 from NYC to the Caribbean.

Thank you all in advance, Vic

Dear Vic,

Welcome back to the Cunard Board.

You mentioned about booking the March 24th Cruise. You are welcome to join the Roll Call for this cruise if you wish. I attached the thread address below.

Once again, welcome

March 24th 2008 - QM2 - Panama Canal & Caribbean

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=597915&page=5

Archived