Snorkel/SNUBA and contacts

countryag96

Can you please let me know if any of you have ever snorkled/SNUBA with contacts? Both my sister and I want to do this but I never thought about not being able to see the fish!:confused: Definitely don't want to pay $$ if I can't see anything.... Thanks for any and all information!

I know that when you scuba dive, you can leave your contacts in and just wear your mask. The only problem is if you lose your mask or it floods, you will need to close your eyes underwater until you replace it and clear it or you might lose your contacts. You might want to contact a local dive shop and get some advice on masks. Some masks (Deep See Clarity) can have prescription lenses installed.

Before I got Lasik, I snorkeled with contacts and never had a problem. I can't imagine what you'd have to do to knock your mask off your head, I don't think it happens. Just make sure it fits well and doesn't leak.

I've heard that the maks itself magnifies a bit, and I saw these small "stickers" that you can put in your mask to magnify, kind of like bifocals if you're really worried. But I think you can keep the contacts in and snorkel without worry.

Last year I had the same difficulty ...to go blind or try contacts or buy an expensive mask with a prescription. I don't snorkel very often but I looked into it. There are various places in the US where one can buy them for under 100$ but not so in Canada. Even Walmart wanted 2X's the price that they were asking in the States!

I did, however get a free "trial" pair of soft lenses from Walmart! They worked very well and for the first time I could really SEE the fish.

Good luck!

Archived