Should we go on a cruise if we have a 1 year old?

brendanluc

What should we do as our next Vacation with our 1 year old?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What should we do as our next Vacation with our 1 year old?

• Disney Cruise- It is your best bet.
    • Another line and bring some help to have some alone time.
    • Queen Mary- (I hear they have a nursery)
    • These are all bad ideas, No 1 year olds on the cruise!

I am kind of surprised that 20% of those on THIS board said not to bring a 1 year old on a cruise! Liek I said before, we did it and I think it worked out fine. It's not the same as cruising without children, but it sure beats staying home!

I am kind of surprised that 20% of those on THIS board said not to bring a 1 year old on a cruise! Liek I said before, we did it and I think it worked out fine. It's not the same as cruising without children, but it sure beats staying home!

I could be wrong, but I would venture a guess that the great majority of that 20% are lurkers from other boards -- not parents who are actually cruising. :) Of course, I could be wrong!

Take the baby!

We cruised with our 6 month old last year. It was awesome; he was content to sit in his stroller, was 100% breastfed so I didn't have to worry about what he would or wouldn't eat, and was just the cutest thing going! The staff were all goo-goo over him and kept trying to feed him.

We'll be cruising with him again when he is 18 months. I am not concerned in the least about it. We've booked a balcony room this time, so that we can sit out there while he naps in the afternoon. He's usually good for a 2 to 3 hour nap and is quite a deep sleeper, so mommy & daddy can pretty much do what they want ;)

The biggest challenge for us is going to be the flight down there. We're in a crappy area for flights to anywhere, so we're looking at 2 stops.

We went with a 9 month old, 2 year old, and 7 year old on a Costa cruise. Everything worked out great. Ate every night together for dinner in the regular dining room. (everyone evend had a toga on at toga night)At our table was another family with a 3 year old daughter. Had a great time, but having a veranda is the key so that when the kids are napping one of the parents can be out on the veranda enjoying a good book (cold beer) and the ocean breeze. Nothing better than cruising with your family!!!!!!!!!!

Our girl's first cruise was on Carnival at 23 months. Even though she was one month too young for the kids' program, she had fun and we had fun. It was a short three-day cruise just to see how she would handle it. Five cruises later, at age 8, she came with us on our Hawaiian 15-day cruise. didn't even get seasick unlike many of the adults on the cruise.

Just plan out what you need to take (don't trust that the ship will have diapers, etc. in the size you need, and take extras as you might miss ports and won't always be able to shop). Try to wing it as much as possible. Probably better not to book an excursion. don't forget you don't have to get off the ship, except, of course, on disembarkation day.

If you're flying to your port of embarkation, pad in a day of shopping so you don't have to pack everything.

We went with our 7 month old and had a good time. We went with Carnival and they have group babysitting for those under 2 for $6 per hour until noon on port days and in the late evening. They also change diapers. We will be taking our then 2 year old on the Carnival Destiny in May. Carnival isn't my favorite line, but they are the only diaper changing line around!

I will be bringing my 7mth old this Jan on the Conquest. Do you have any suggestions for exursions? It will be my husband & other two kids ages 8 & 4. We are wanting to do the stingrays in Grand Cayman & then Paradise Beach in Cozumel...not sure about what to do in Jamaica.

What kinds of things do you suggest w/ a itty bitty one?

My mom & dad will be along too & my mom has offered to watch the little one...but I don't want her cruise to be all about my baby

Archived