Conch Shells

chemistz

Can anyone tell me if Grand Cayman is where there is a beach right off the Port that has lots of conch shells? I read a review and can not find it about the Carnival Legend where someone mentioned that one of the ports had lots of conch shells on a beach close to the Port. Help!!

There aren't really any stretches of beach near the normal tender piers in George Town. Those beaches close to the port are certainly not known for large numbers of conch shells on the beach.

Did you know...

The Queen Conch (aka pink conch) is a threatened species and is protected under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora? Transporting conch (or parts threrof) across international borders requires permits issued by the United Nations office in Geneva, Switzerland.

This is the same level of protection afforded to chimpanzees. Would you travel to Africa and bring home a chimpanzee's paw as a souvenir? Probably not.

The Queen Conch (aka pink conch) is a threatened species and is protected under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora? Transporting conch (or parts threrof) across international borders requires permits issued by the United Nations office in Geneva, Switzerland.

This is the same level of protection afforded to chimpanzees. Would you travel to Africa and bring home a chimpanzee's paw as a souvenir? Probably not.

So where do all the restaurants in Grand Cayman get their conch for their soups, salads and fritters? If they are protected, then why are they being served in restaurants? Is there another type of conch? I've seen conch shells for sale in stores, so if they are protected, then why is this going on? There must be a way around this, but it seems like a double standard. The chimpanzees may have the same level of protection, but I don't recall seeing "chimpanzee fritters" on any restaurant menus. While none of us would want to bring home a chimp paw, it's quite easy to have conch in the Cayman's. And I guess it's also quite legal.

CITES only governs International trade in endangered or threatened species.

You can also, quite legally, buy green sea turtle in the Cayman Islands. However it is an endangered species and importation of turtle meat or parts is governed by CITES and/or other relevant national laws of the involved countries.

I see. I do think this may confuse some people. I know it does me. You can order conch in food, but it's a protected species. I'm not sure I'd compare it to buying a chimp paw, since conch is available in restaurants in Cayman.

Nor do I think the OP would want to break the law, but when you see conch available for consumption in restaurants, you may not know the laws on collecting them.

Archived