Manatees at Bannister Island???

jkjmt

At Bannister Island on the Carnival excursion....can you go see the manatees??? I've seen an outside excursion company (on Bannister Island's website) that says they go snorkeling, to the island, and then onto the manatees....but Carnival's description doesn't say anything about manatees.

Anybody know???

Manatees are native to the area, and they swim up and down the coast ad lib. A young one swam into a cenote at a resort we were staying in on the Mayan Riviera once, causing quite a stir. But then it swam out again, and continued south in the direction of Belize. You may see a lot of manatees, and you may see none. So it may be that tour operators don't mention them lest you be disappointed.

There will be plenty of things to see; manatees will be among the slow-moving things. Belizean tourist industry people know they are a tourist attraction, so they are trying to keep people from eating them. Good luck to them, and to you! :D

but.....Coral Breeze advertises going to (some place other than Bannister Island) a manatee "reserve" of some type to see the manatees.....but Carnival's excursion does not mention this. What are the chances a manatee would swim close to Bannister Island where alot of people are?

Near Swallow Caye (and Belize City), a sinkhole attracts the manatee. "Don't expect to see much more than their nostrils blowing air, and some days they can't be seen at all, although they are probably feeding on plants on the sea floor. Or maybe they have just grown tired of visitors. But when you do see their large shadowy form, it's something you will remember."--Insight Guide Belize, rpt. 2006, p. 169.

I suspect few tour providers will be able to resist taking you there--especially if you ask them about manatees. It's good for business. And tips!

At Bannister Island on the Carnival excursion....can you go see the manatees??? I've seen an outside excursion company (on Bannister Island's website) that says they go snorkeling, to the island, and then onto the manatees....but Carnival's description doesn't say anything about manatees.

Anybody know???

What is the address for the web site for Bannister Island? [/b]

Anybody know???

If Carnival doesn't include it in the description then it is doubtful you would go to the "reserve". CoralBreezes has a Bannister Island-Snorkeling-Manatee reserve trip that you could book. They also offer just the Manatees and Bannister Island part of the tour at a reduced price if you don't want to snorkle. Good luck in finding what you want, and if you have a tour/port question that only pertains to Carnival maybe the Carnival board could be of some help?

I must not be asking my question clearly....let me try again....

I am taking the Private Bannister Island through Carnival. At Bannister Island, can I book an excursion (not through Carnival) to go see the Manatee?? I know you can rent kayaks, and other things and at other ports, we've been able to book excursions right there, ex: jet skiis, para-sailing, etc.

Let's try asking it that way.....:D

When we went the Bannister Island, I don't remember anyone coming around offering excursions. You could rent kayaks. You might want to send an email to Bannister Island and ask them if they do.

We loved Bannister Island. It was not crowded and a perfect tropical paradise.

Just at Bannister last week. No Manatee tours, but a small boat does offer hourly snorkel tours out to the reef for $20. We did see a pod of dolphins next to the tour boat while traveling from the ship to Bannister, and the capt. did pause for a few minutes so folks could take pictures.

Thanks for the infor snake114....on which boat did you see the pod of dophins....the snorkle tour boat or the tender boat???

Were you on the Carnival excursion????? ...and on your return tender, did they take you right back to the ship, or to the port????

It was in the NCL tour boat going directly from the ship to the island where we saw the dolphins. The Capt. was kind enough to pause for a few minutes for pictures We were returned directly to the ship at the end of the day, not to the port (the excusion was booked through the ship).

Snorkel tour was booked once we were on the island. Someone just walked around talking up the snorkel tour, and the skiff left every hour or so. There were 6 of us on the snorkel tour, which cost $20 (cash only). Nice coral and fish, though I really did not enjoy having to play "Follow the leader" while snorkeling (we had to stay together...)

Archived