Flying with SCUBA gear.

Privateer

Well on my first cruise with diving gear, I checked everything but my regulator & camera equip. on the flight.... And all was fine. But now that I'm doing more warm water, am more comfortable using some rental stuff, I have all my gear in a backpack/carry on and take everythign on the plane.... I just don't want to lose anything... :D

I pack everything for my wife and I in an large Armor rolling soft case, with the exception of my cameras, housings, and batteries, which go in our two carry-ons. All of it weighs in at around fifty pounds (the reason the batteries go in the carry-ons). That's two of everything, reg's, gauges, wet suits, BC's, computers, O2 analyzer, masks, fins, etc., etc. I fly out of a small regional airport, and rarely have to pay excess baggage charges, even on international flights (as long as my bags are booked all the way to the final destination). I've never once had a problem, even since 9/11 and TSA.;)

I carry on my regs and computer along with the my camera and housing. I also carry on my pony bottle when I take that with me. I don't want to add that much weight to my checked luggage, but I never take that on a cruise, only when I've doing either a dedicated liveaboard or a land based trip. I check the rest of the my gear, and I leave my knife at home when I go on a cruise.

Carry it all on... camera and laptop as well!

What size bag do you use? I can't imagine a carryon bag that will hold all my wife's gear (BCD, Wetsuit, Fins, mask, regulator, etc). She usually carries her mask (prescription) and regulator in one bag and the camera equipment in another.

I carry my regulator, mask and dive computer in my carryon. Everything else goes in the dive bag. I figure that IF I loose my dive bag, I can rent gear, although it's never been a problem yet. I DO always use TSA locks on my dive bag. It may not help, but I feel better and I can always tell the insurance company it was locked if necessary.

I use a 30" rolling duffel bag and check everything but my camera gear, which goes in the carry-on. The duffel also contains my wife's snorkeling gear. I take her camera gear with me in my carry-on.

By the time I get my laptop, all the camera gear,, batteries, etc. in my carry-on, it weighs about 45 lbs. Good thing they don't check carry-ons for weight.

I might be in trouble in 2009 though when we go to Australia. I here that they weigh carry-ons.

Archived