transfer times

cosmic

Hi. We're sailing on the QM2 on 10th Dec - and very excited we are! We are flying into NY - EWR the previous day, due to be picked up from the airport at 13:00. we are booked into the Novotel Broadway, does anyone know the approx. transfer time between airport and hotel? We have never visited NY before and want to know how much time we have to try and do/see all the things we would like to before boarding the next day. Also will we have to spend much time outside at the terminal before boarding, just so we know how to dress. Would appreciate any input on what not to miss in NY. We are so excited about sailing on the QM2, I did post this question on the roll call page but it looks like hardly anyone else in joining our cruise!!!

Vera & Mike

Hi. We're sailing on the QM2 on 10th Dec - and very excited we are! We are flying into NY - EWR the previous day, due to be picked up from the airport at 13:00. we are booked into the Novotel Broadway, does anyone know the approx. transfer time between airport and hotel? We have never visited NY before and want to know how much time we have to try and do/see all the things we would like to before boarding the next day. Also will we have to spend much time outside at the terminal before boarding, just so we know how to dress. Would appreciate any input on what not to miss in NY. We are so excited about sailing on the QM2, I did post this question on the roll call page but it looks like hardly anyone else in joining our cruise!!!

Vera & Mike

I would allow approx. one hour from airport to hotel depending on traffic, accidents and such. That would put you at the hotel right at check in time. Plenty of afternoon left for sight seeing.

I don't know what plans you have but you should try for The Christmas Tree in Rockafeller Plaza with the skaters. A stroll up Fifth Avenue to look into all of the shop windows and back down Madison Ave for the Botiques. Look into the churches on Fifth Ave. they are fabulous. A boat ride around Manhattan is also a good way to see the entire city but in December could be very cold. The Empire State Building for a great view of the entire city and most of New Jersey.

A Broadway Play (if the stage hands have settled their strike by then) or the Opera and then a horse drawn carriage ride through Central Park is a wonderful way to end up the evening. Not much time on sail away day as you will want to get to the ship by noon and getting from Manhattan to Red Hook, Brooklyn takes a bit of time and doing unless you have made arrangements with Cunard for a transfer.

New York City in December can be delightful or bitter. No one knows until that day. I would plan on hats, gloves and scarves as the wind can blow between the buildings. Other than that, your dress overcoats should be sufficient. rarely snows in Manhattan.

Welcome to New York. It is an experience and just one day will make you want to return when you have more time.

Thank you so much. Very informative. Of course I had intended doing a bit of shopping! but the horse drawn carriage ride thru Central Park really appeals. We do hope that the strike is over by the time we arrive as a Broadway show was top of our list. Again, thanks for your excellent suggestions.

Archived