Is Navigator of the Sea with RCC good choice to cruise with 4 year & 60 year old?

mom60

My sister and I are planning a cruise for my mother's birthday and we need to bring along my 4 year old. Is Navigator of the Sea good choice for 4 year old and 60 year old?

This is our first time cruising. Too save money, we decide to stay in one room. I looked around for the pricing and they virtually the same. I am wandering if I need to wait until the price drop a bit.

RCCL is a great choice. It has tons of options for all ages. Great kids programs, tons of activities as well, but with adults only areas for those that want a little break.

RCCL is really great in that you can book early locking in a price, but if you see a price drop for your cruise later on, you can call up and get it (there are exception for tuesday sales which are usually for new bookings only).

I suggest coming over to the Royal Caribbean board and reading threads and asking questions to make your cruise better.

the four year old will love it. but the 60 year old, this is a big crowded with people wall to wall ship-fine with familes with children or teens but not so fine for soemone who is getting past middle age. I am 53, and was 51 when I did Mariner of the Seas. I hated it.

but a 60 year old would love Celebrity. Now the 4 year old might not, I don't think there is much for kids.

Princess for me is a good compromize between the two lines.

• 2 weeks later...

60 years old today is yesterday's 40 :) .

I'm 58, my sister is 60 and we both are very active cruisers. We have friends in their 70's. They cruise 3 or 4 times a year. Still scuba drive, enjoy the ziplining thing, do the rock climbing wall, in-line skating, ice-skating and dancing all night.

All cruiseline will have something to offer all age groups it just a matter of looking for that one cruise line that fits your needs the most.

It all depends on how healthy they are and if they are willing to get out and enjoy life.

the four year old will love it. but the 60 year old, this is a big crowded with people wall to wall ship-fine with familes with children or teens but not so fine for soemone who is getting past middle age. I am 53, and was 51 when I did Mariner of the Seas. I hated it.

but a 60 year old would love Celebrity. Now the 4 year old might not, I don't think there is much for kids.

Princess for me is a good compromize between the two lines.

Couldn't DISAGREE with you more. My husband and I are in our late 70's and really enjoy that class of ships. In fact, just booked a back-to-back on the Navigator in January. There are great activities for all ages. We have never found it to be too crowded.

We have been on Celebrity, Princess, and Holland America and feel that Royal Caribbean offers the most for all ages!!!!!

Mocorobabe

• 2 weeks later...
Couldn't DISAGREE with you more. My husband and I are in our late 70's and really enjoy that class of ships. In fact, just booked a back-to-back on the Navigator in January. There are great activities for all ages. We have never found it to be too crowded.

We have been on Celebrity, Princess, and Holland America and feel that Royal Caribbean offers the most for all ages!!!!!

Mocorobabe

You are the exception to the rule then. Most older people only enjoy it becuase they are going with their grandchildren and want the grandchildren happy.

You know maybe it would not had been so crowded by the pools IF the rock climbing wall and inline skating had been open on sea days-and unfortunately I picked a cruise that had three sea days thinking I could do all this stuff they had that was closed.

I also found the lido restuarant way too crowded on sea days and so I ate in the dinningroom which had the SAME menu every day at lunch. I could not get a simple salad only one with seafood or chicken and when I asked the waiter for a simple salad (how hard could that be) he said "it is not on the menu" and would not bring me one.

I prefer a line that the waiters honor requests from the PAX even if it is off the menu. On celebrity, Princess and even Carnival I never had a problem asking for something that was not on the menu at lunch -epesicially a simple salad of lettuce and tomato.

Now my dinner waiter was GREAT and he had my salad for me ready every evening. Too bad I could not have had him at lunch.

why do I make a big deal about something like this? Becuase of health restrictions I can not eat some of the things in the salads that were on the menu but I can eat lettuce and tomato.

I think you just had a bad experience. I have not had any problems ordering items that are not on the menu on any of my RCCL cruises - I cannot eat certain foods and they have always been wonderful about adapting stuff for me so that I can eat it, even at lunch.

I think you just had a bad experience. I have not had any problems ordering items that are not on the menu on any of my RCCL cruises - I cannot eat certain foods and they have always been wonderful about adapting stuff for me so that I can eat it, even at lunch.

the waiters sure would not do it for me-only my dinner waiter. He was wonderful! I actually prefered the lido restuarant because I could get what I wanted but as I said-on sea days there was like a 30 to 45 minute line to eat there.

It just seems to me the larger ships are better for those younger-who do not have to worry about what they eat and can deal better with crowds.

Our last family cruise (20+ people aged 7 - 72) was on Navigator. EVERYONE had the best time. There is a difference on Navigator from its sister ships in the same class. It does not have the kids pool area known as Adventure Beach. Instead it has an expanded Adventure Ocean which is the kids activity center. Small difference unless you were expecting a water slide for the kids

explorer_of_the_seas20a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Our last family cruise (20+ people aged 7 - 72) was on Navigator. EVERYONE had the best time. There is a difference on Navigator from its sister ships in the same class. It does not have the kids pool area known as Adventure Beach. Instead it has an expanded Adventure Ocean which is the kids activity center. Small difference unless you were expecting a water slide for the kids

explorer_of_the_seas20a.jpg

When a large group of family or friends travel together they make their own fun. That has nothing to do with the ship but being with friends and family.

You guys are missing my point. What I said is that line is more for families then older people. The cruise was a birthday gift to a 60 year old woman. Why not pick a line SHE would enjoy more then a line that her daughter and grandaugther would enjoy more since it is HER gift?

I am sure she would just be happy her daughter thought enough of her to take her on a cruise but that does not mean she will enjoy all the people, crowds, etc. that the voyager class ships have.

Celebritry is so much classier, with less people, with wonderful top notch food in the main dinnningroom and many of their ships have this wonderful great solarium pool which pulsates like a hot tub but is warm instead of hot. Great for older people who pretty much ache after a long day's excursion. I loved that pool after a day's excursion. I was in it almost every evening.

If I was given the choice I would definetley pick Celebrity over RCI.

Archived