Homer Activities

RaptorMom

We will be staying in Homer 2 nights in June 2008 before a southbound cruise with our two children - 17 and 7 years old. The youngest one really wants to fish and see the wildlife. I was looking for the easiest way to get in a little fishing without taking up a whole day. And I would rather not go deep sea fishing with her. I have been reading about the Fishing Hole on the Homer Spit. It sounds like it is child friendly and that we can rent gear right there. Does anyone have any experience with this? Would we be able to do this one morning or evening and still do other things in Homer - like boat ride around Gull Island or walk the beaches at low tide on the same day? And do they rent child-sized boots for fishing in or should we bring our own?

I would really appreciate any information about the Fishing Hole and the low-tide beach walks. Thank you!!!!

We will be staying in Homer 2 nights in June 2008 before a southbound cruise with our two children - 17 and 7 years old. The youngest one really wants to fish and see the wildlife. I was looking for the easiest way to get in a little fishing without taking up a whole day. And I would rather not go deep sea fishing with her. I have been reading about the Fishing Hole on the Homer Spit. It sounds like it is child friendly and that we can rent gear right there. Does anyone have any experience with this? Would we be able to do this one morning or evening and still do other things in Homer - like boat ride around Gull Island or walk the beaches at low tide on the same day? And do they rent child-sized boots for fishing in or should we bring our own?

I would really appreciate any information about the Fishing Hole and the low-tide beach walks. Thank you!!!!

The Fishing Hole is co owned/managed by the City of Homer and Alaska Fish and Game. Anyone with an Alaska fishing license can fish there. There are posted hours, but about the only time it is closed is really late at night.

The kids (and other locals) go down there, fish an hour or two, leave, then come back later in the day and fish some more, if they haven't taken their limit.

You can buy a fishing license almost anyplace in Homer (the store across from the Fishing Hole is probably the best place). During your time frame, you may want to get a King salmon stamp, as well as the license. You will be there during King season.

I have never noticed kids boots at the store for rent. But I have never really looked, either. May be best to take your own, just in case they don't rent kids boots.

As for walking on the beach-PLEASE be careful. What looks like "beach" around Homer is an awful lot of black goo, which is like quicksand. Almost every year, someone gets stuck in the goo and hopefully gets pulled out. There have been deaths. The end of the Spit (by Land's End) is heavily graveled and rip rapped and is safe. The beginning of the Spit is primarily goo and not safe.

If you really want beach walking, go North to Ninilchik (about 45 miles). Some of the best clamming in the Kenai.

If you want a special treat-try the overnight halibut tour. Leave at 4:00PM, go out to fish, sleep on the boat, then fish again after midnight until about 6:00AM. Back to Homer between 9-11. The otters are THICK, the birds are many and it is a lot of fun. I HATE fishing, but that is one trip I will make again and again. http://www.alaskacoastalmarine.com/overnight_fishing_trips.htm

Greatam,

Thank you for the information. Sounds like the Fishing Hole will work out great for us.

About the beach walking - I read about the Islands and Oceans Visitor Center having guided beach walks. I'm not sure if they will have one when we are there, but I thought the beaches around the center would be safe to walk on. Is that true or not? There also was an Alaskan Coastal Studies center across the bay that sounded like it did walks but I thought it would be harder to arrange. Do you have any information on either of these?

And thanks again for the information about the Fishing Hole. I can't wait to get there.

We camped at the "Fishing Hole" and loved watching all the fishermen following the tide out. One of the highlights of our AK landtrip was "beachcombing" at the end of the spit (behind Lands End - as mentioned, the SAFE part of the beach) I think your kids would love seeing all the things they can find there in the morning. We saw more starfish than we could count that had been left behind by the tide and waiting to be picked up by the next incoming tide. :)

cjnky,

Thanks. We will definitely try the end of the spit for beachcombing. Someone told me to fish the fishing hole when the tide is coming in so maybe we can time it to beachcomb while the tide is out and then fish while it is coming back in. We'll have to see how the tides are when we are there.

cjnky,

Thanks. We will definitely try the end of the spit for beachcombing. Someone told me to fish the fishing hole when the tide is coming in so maybe we can time it to beachcomb while the tide is out and then fish while it is coming back in. We'll have to see how the tides are when we are there.

Go to the fishing store across the road from the Fishing Hole. They have a big tide chart, fish sightings and all kind of info. Good place to buy your license, too. They are VERY helpful and love to help the little kids have a good time fishing.

Archived