What about taking booze off the ship?

joinitaly

With new airline regulations regarding bringing bottles on board unless they have been bought after you have been through security, does anyone have any good ideas on how to pack bottles safely in your check-in luggage? I'd like to bring a bottle of rum back from the Caribbean.

thanks

If the rum comes in a box leave it in the box. Surround the box with dirty clothes (in case the worse does happen), make sure stuff is packed as tightly around it as possible. You should be okay. That's how I get my bottles of cognac home.

Have fun, and good luck.

Consider placing the box inside a plastic bag before wrapping it with dirty clothing. An extra barrier in case of a mishap.

Excellent idea Df...will have to remember that myself. Haven't had any mishaps, but always pays to be ready. I suppose that if none leaked you might even be able to rescue the liquid from the bag, so not a total loss (though not sure how plastic would affect rum).

We wrap the bottles up in clothes, and use jumbo ziplock bags to contain that. (if there ever was a break, the glass hopefully won't slash the bag because the clothes would act as a cushion/barrier)

Then the bottles get further buried to the luggage center, surrounded by laundry.

So far never had a problem and once one of the pieces of booze laden luggage was trashed! :eek:

Ironically the new airline weight restrictions, which are at an all time low, have come into play. Only once had to pay a few extra $$$ for the added weight.

Of all the stupid TSA rules the disallowance of DF booze on a domestic flight is one of the stupidest. You can bring the box on board and put it in overhead on international flights but if you change planes in the states then you must repack it into your suitcase and put the smelly, dirty clothes into your carry on. God bless America! All those Arab terrorists usually take a Caribbean vacation before blowing themselves up. A perk from Bin Laden. And what good Muslim buys liquor?

Flying back from ST. Thomas last July I bought lots of rum, and packed a suitcase full. Never had problems bringing it back before... It was in boxes, and I surrounded the bag with a few paperback books and a few t-shirts. Sure enough, about half of the bottles were broken when we got home. The books and clothes absorbed all the alcohol, because it was actually pretty dry when we got home, and nothing leaked outside of the bag! But I would never use dirty closthes to surround alcohol, unless you don't mind them getting drenched in it if a bottle breaks. I'm bringing a few old towels to bring the booze back in this time.

Archived