Need Maui (POA) advice

AZGrandma

I am rethinking so many things on my itinerary, trying to get it just right! We are on the POA in January 08. We will have an overnight in Kahului, Maui.

Let me ask you all about my Maui plans:

Day one: Road to Hana, halfway, to see Keanue Peninsula and some waterfalls. I envision driving from 8am to noon.

Want to stop at a beach somewhere for a few hours before returning to ship. The problem is the recommended beaches for Maui are on the other side of the island. Ideas?

About 2pm we need to return to ship, change clothes, leave kids, go to Old Lahaina Luau. Wanted to leave Kahului at 3:30 to allow plenty of time to get to OLL; if we get there early we could stroll Lahaina a bit.

After OLL, return car to airport and ride back to pier.

Day two: NCL excursion to Molokini Crater to snorkel. 8:30am to 1:30pm.

That leaves us some time to go to a beach, but again, they are on the other side of the island, and we may well have had our FILL of sun after being in it for hours on the excursion! Day one is a better day to sun and swim, because neither the drive nor the luau involve beach time. Just can't figure out where to fit it in.

Doesn't that sound silly? I'm on Maui and can't figure out where to fit in a beach! ha.

What I envision is, a beach with grass and shade, so we could nap for a bit after snorkeling, play in quiet surf a bit, and just have fun sand AND shade time. I think I read one of the Kam beaches on the south side has good shady/grassy spots, but is it advisable to try to get there from Kahului after 1:30 return? Makes me a bit nervous. Is there such a beach on the Kahului side?

I'm still working out possibilities in Kona and Kauai, but I will save those happy quandaries for another post. ;)

Leslie

**edited note** I didn't read the entire post! If you want to go to a beach on the Kahului side, the surf is rough because the of the constant trade winds. We went to Baldwin Beach near the airport, but I didn't go near the water. It was pounding surf the day we were there. I would do the beach after the Molikini tour - South Maui beaches aren't too far away**

We skipped the Road to Hana. We figured we'll see it another trip. We did to road to the top of Haleakala. I loved it. The top of the mountian and view area surreal, and defy description. The little town of Kula - about 4000' elevation was my favorite town in all of Hawaii. It was cool, and totally different than what you expect to see in Hawaii. The South Maui beaches aren't too far of a drive from Kahului. You could go to Haleakala in the morning - weather permitting, and then head to Kihei(South Maui - many beaches) in the afternoon or vice versa. It is only 8 miles from Kahului to Kihei.

We saw may beautiful beaches and waterfalls on Kauai on Blue Hawaiian helicopters and from the balcony of our stateroom as we sailed the Na Pali coast.

We did Pride of America this past Sept. After long debate we skipped Road to Hana and I am glad that we did. Check out the threads on this forum and I think you will find that 4 hours is not enough. You also have to allow time for getting car, shuttles ect.

Rent a car and drive over to the west side of the Island. It will take around 90 min, to get to Lahaina. It is a beautiful ride and there are many beautiful beaches. We spent a few hours at Kapalua Beach, great snorkeling, no surf and there was also shade. Whalers Village on the way back a great place to shop and have lunch.

YOu have to go to a few beaches while you are in Maui, don't spend all your time in the car. I agree that when you are in Kauai it will be easier to get to see some waterfalls. (Also, in Hilo there are falls not far from the ship.) Have a great trip.

Day one: Road to Hana, halfway, to see Keanue Peninsula and some waterfalls. I envision driving from 8am to noon.

Short and sweet ... scrap the road to Hana.

Don't do it if you're only allowing four hours. I did the entire road to Oheo and am glad I did, but wouldn't do it again. That said, yes there's some terrific scenery up to Keanae,

nikon03-218.jpg

nikon03-225.jpg

but from Kahului to where the scenery starts is quite a ways and wastes a lot of your four hours (there and back). IMO, the best parts of RtH are past Keanae.

West Maui has similar scenery without the huge time commitment (although the driving is far more treacherous)

nikon03-313.jpg

nikon03-341.jpg

Want to stop at a beach somewhere for a few hours before returning to ship. The problem is the recommended beaches for Maui are on the other side of the island. Ideas?

I'm curious which beaches you're referring to as "recommended beaches". With the exception of the north side of the island (where Kahului is), there are fine beaches in South Maui (probably where you're catching your Molokini trip) west Maui (near Lahaina) and even all the way out to Hana. Tough not to find a beach in Hawaii to park it on.

Archived