Snorkle on our own? Help please!

jetstorm

Is there any place to snorkle within walking distance from the ship's dock (Crown Bay I believe)?

My husband just lost his job, money is tight, but the cruise is non- refundable so we'll stay onboard and snorkle where we can walk.

any other good but very cheap ideas appreciated.

From Crown Bay you can walk to Lindberg Bay (also called Emerald Beach). There isn't good snorkeling there but you can hang out on the beach, swim, relax. Bring a picnic lunch from off the ship if possiable, otherwise there are restaruants/bars by the beach. If you walk to the end of the beach and up to the kids playground there are usually lots of iguanas, neat to see and good chance to take photos.

--Islander

Islander,

I love the picnic idea.

If anyone knows if it's possible to bring food off a ship here, please let me know.

At least we can enjoy the beach for a while. Do you happen to know about how far the walk is and which way we should head after getting off ship?

I really do appreciate you letting me know about this beach.

You'd exit the Crown Bay dock fenced property to the main road. Turn right and walk to the intersection by Nisky Shopping Center. At the intersection cross the street and follow the road up passed the Nisky Shopping Center. At the corner turn left, keeping Nisky Shopping Center on your left. Keep going, pass the shopping center, pass the church/school... at the intersection for the airport turn left. Walk a short ways and you will see the entrance/sign for Best Western Emerald Beach Hotel - turn in there and go through their parking lot/property to the beach. Its about a 15 minute walk.

--Islander

Islander,

I love the picnic idea.

If anyone knows if it's possible to bring food off a ship here, please let me know.

For sure, fruit is an big no, no. Please do not bring fruit off the ship.

Packaged things are ok, like boxed cereals. I would say no to sandwiches but I am sure someone else is going to swear it is ok. You can always ask when you are on the ship. They can tell you if you can or cannot bring certain foods off the ship.

Eat a large breakfast. ;)

Sorry about the job. I know how it feels.

Did you have trip insurance ? Some cover job loss but you have to be at the same job for x number of years.

Try to have a nice cruise. :)

How about taking the dollar taxi to Sapphire Beach? Emerald Beach would be the closest that would allow you to walk but there's really no snorkeling there and IMO it's just a so-so beach with average views. Sapphire has great snorkeling and incredible views of St John, I would highly recommend it. The taxi drops you off at the top of the hill and you then walk down to Sapphire but I don't know the logistics of how to find the dollar taxi from the cruiseship pier. Maybe Islander could answer that one.

Thaks Gizmo, We will eat a large brkfst. and the cereal or other packaged food will help with getting us by until we get back to the ship. With a child it's always best to have some food along.

Yes, we did have trip insurance and called, but they said it only covers death and serious illness that would make it impossible to travel, no job related cancellations. Trust me, I'd much rather have skipped the cruise and have money toward house payments, but it will turn out ok. I just son't like cutting things close, I'd rather be safe than sorry especially when it comes to bills.

Thanks again for the tips.

For sure, fruit is an big no, no. Please do not bring fruit off the ship.

Packaged things are ok, like boxed cereals. I would say no to sandwiches but I am sure someone else is going to swear it is ok. You can always ask when you are on the ship. They can tell you if you can or cannot bring certain foods off the ship.

Eat a large breakfast. ;)

Sorry about the job. I know how it feels.

Did you have trip insurance ? Some cover job loss but you have to be at the same job for x number of years.

Try to have a nice cruise. :)

This sounds really good if we could snorkle there. Can Islander or anyone tell me if this is doable with the dollar taxi or bus or whatever it is? Also, is there any public bathrooms at this beach?

How about taking the dollar taxi to Sapphire Beach? Emerald Beach would be the closest that would allow you to walk but there's really no snorkeling there and IMO it's just a so-so beach with average views. Sapphire has great snorkeling and incredible views of St John, I would highly recommend it. The taxi drops you off at the top of the hill and you then walk down to Sapphire but I don't know the logistics of how to find the dollar taxi from the cruiseship pier. Maybe Islander could answer that one.

Vinow is an excellent web site with tons of info about St Thomas and the other US Virgin Islands.

Cruise critic won't allow a direct link. Just enter www followed by vinow then dot com. Sapphire is on page 3 of the "Beach Guide".

I've not used the dollar "taxis", but vinow has a description:

'Dollar Rides' or 'Dollar Taxis'

There are taxi drivers that run 'dollar rides' in safari buses. A safari is a truck that has been outfitted with bench seating in the back. It is open air but covered. Not all safari buses are ‘dollar rides’, some are regular taxis. The ‘dollar rides’ do not have signs identifying them as such; however they generally run the same route as the public bus and pull in or close to bus stops. If in doubt ask the driver before boarding. Also ask where they are heading to make sure they are going the route you want to go. They are for the most part un-regulated, and operate mostly to assist with the transportation needs of residents. Some 'dollar ride' drivers charge non-residents regular taxi rates.

Dollar rides are $1 for short trips like: anywhere in town between the University of the Virgin Islands and the Hospital (Schneider Regional Medical Center), traveling to points between the Hospital and Pricesmart (supermarket), traveling from one point in the country to another (country is used to describe the middle and east end of the island). The fare is $2 for longer cross-island trips like: traveling from the Hospital to Pricesmart and beyond and traveling from Pricemart and beyond to anywhere in town.

There's also public bus service. This, too, from vinow:

Public Transportation

Country Buses travel between town and Red Hook every hour. They start running at 5.15am from town and end at 8.00pm from Red Hook. There are buses that travel past the airport toward Bordeaux. City buses travel between the Schneider Regional Medical Center bus stop to town starting at 6.15am until 8:00pm. The first bus from the Airport to town is at 6am and the last is 8:00pm. Country Bus Fare $1 and City Bus $.75. The public bus system is not very reliable so is not recommended for people on a tight or limited time schedule.

Catching the dollar ride from Crown Bay dock requires walking to the main road in front of Nisky Shopping Center. Wait at the bus stop. There is a bus stop on both sides of the road, the side closest to the shopping center would be going west. You need to be on the opposite side where traffic is heading east. You'd go through town and then continue to the east end of the island which is where Sapphire is located. The dollar rides use safaris, which taxis also use; so it can be confusing. You can ask the driver just to be sure.

If your child is young there is a children's play area at the end of Emerald Beach, swings, slide and some other things. Same area where all the iguanas hang out as mentioned in earlier post.

--Islander

We sailed and snorkeled on Island Girl earlier this year and had a chance to get to know them fairly well. They seemed to have know quite a bit of information about the island and would probably be more than happy to give you some snorkeling suggestions. Let them know your circumstances. You can contact them at yachtadventures@aol.com

Archived