Need help with things to do close by the ship.

jetstorm

There will be three of us, two adults and one child, the problem is money due to a recent unforseen job loss. The cruise is paid for and non-refundable. We have snorkle gear if there is any place to snorkle within walking distance of the ship (Crown Princess).

Any ideas you have will be apprectiated otherwise we will probably stay on the ship.

Thank you.

I'm sorry about your recent job loss. But, don't stay on the ship! We just got back from Grenada, and although we went on a tour with Mandoo ($45.00 per person), the little town is quite pretty and interesting. When you get off the ship you are immediately in a little welcome/visitor center building. There are some chairs where you can sit, with a film that runs continuously throughout the day. We didn't have time to sit and watch it, but it appeared to be a little bit of everything - interesting history, spice information, etc. There are also employees working there that were VERY friendly, and very knowledgeable, that can probable direct you to some free things to see and do. From there you walk right into a very nice mall. I am not a shopper, and some of the stores appeared high-end. But, they also had some stores with very affordable spices, hot sauces, etc. It was nice just to browse. From there we got on a bus, and went directly to our tour, but I would be willing to bet that there is a walking tour that you could do...I found one on these boards while we were in Nassau in the Bahamas. It was free, and self-guided, but you saw some interesting things, and got a feel for the island and town. I believe thatORIGINAL walking tour was published in either Frommer's or Fodor's, and then someone listed it on cruisecritic. You can access either of those publications on-line. See what you can find out. The town appeared safe and colorful ... I'm sure there is a lot to see and do that wouldn't cost much of anything. We had a WONDERFUL time, and actually are planning to go back and spend a week -- you will have plenty of time on the ship, so my suggestion would be to get off and explore! Good luck and enjoy! :)

Merv!,

Thanks for replying and all the great advice. I will look into walking tour. We were actually booked with Mandoo for his island tour, but when all this happened we had to cancel as we are more concerned right now with our mortgage. I relly hated to cancel, but Mandoo was very understanding and we hope to book with him someday.

Hi Jetstorm! Good luck with your plans. I am CERTAIN that with a little bit of research and ingenuity you will be able to find plenty to do, that will cost virtually nothing. I'm not sure how long the film is in the visitor center. There also was a rack of pamphlets right in front of the women working at the information booth. You could kill time in the mall, but really, I would suggest getting out and walking and seeing the town. You will see how pretty it is when you dock. I believe there was some sort of fort off to the right - appeared to be within walking distance. Google "Grenada Walking Tour" and see what you come up with. Have a GREAT time, and good luck with everything! Mary :)

Archived