Pay More/Get More

letsrun26

In 1993, my wife and I were on a 7 night cruise on the Monarch OTS and paid $1045 each for an inside cabin. This same ship is offering a 16 night cruise for $1,099. While it's great to see lower prices, it would be better if you were getting the same bang for your buck.

I for one would rather pay more to keep the cruise experience that we fell in love with. Instead, we get lower prices (or so we think) and then are continually subjected to revenue generating overload (Art Auctions, soda cards, Bingo, temporary tatoos, etc.) while our favorite cruise memories continue to disappear to "save money" (can anyone say lobster or flourless chocolate cake).

Don't get me wrong, we'll still continue to cruise. It's just too bad that some of our discussions start off with "Remember when they used to...".

Ah, but it's only money...(just wish I actually had some).

That's why we have Chevy versus Cadillac, Gucci versus Gap, RCI versus Seadream Yacht Club, etc.

The experience you crave is still "out there", and it is still relatively expensive. But it's not where RCI has decided to postion themselves. And that's a shame if you love RCI.

Then again, my worst day at sea still beats my best day at work, hands down.icon10.gif

Happy Cruising,

Alan

In 1993, my wife and I were on a 7 night cruise on the Monarch OTS and paid $1045 each for an inside cabin. This same ship is offering a 16 night cruise for $1,099. While it's great to see lower prices, it would be better if you were getting the same bang for your buck.

I for one would rather pay more to keep the cruise experience that we fell in love with. Instead, we get lower prices (or so we think) and then are continually subjected to revenue generating overload (Art Auctions, soda cards, Bingo, temporary tatoos, etc.) while our favorite cruise memories continue to disappear to "save money" (can anyone say lobster or flourless chocolate cake).

Don't get me wrong, we'll still continue to cruise. It's just too bad that some of our discussions start off with "Remember when they used to...".

I agree with you!

Like the others, I agree. Are you looking at the Repo cruise? The Monarch doesn't have the any of the options the other (bigger and newer) ships has to offer - specialty restaurants, JRs, and a concierge lounge just to name a few.

###

My sentiments. Well said. Lower prices did not only bring the things you mentioned (art auctions, soda cards etc) but also cruisers who are whining about the least important things. There was a time when you appreciated to be on a cruise ship and very little could take away from the pleasure of cruising. Nowadays a lot of the "me first" and the "me only" society has entered.

I really wish that Royal Caribbean would pull the prices a little higher to distinguish itself again. In the mean time: I still enjoy cruising and 'fight' the constant whiners. :D

Ah, but it's only money...(just wish I actually had some).

That's why we have Chevy versus Cadillac, Gucci versus Gap, RCI versus Seadream Yacht Club, etc.

The experience you crave is still "out there", and it is still relatively expensive. But it's not where RCI has decided to postion themselves. And that's a shame if you love RCI.

Then again, my worst day at sea still beats my best day at work, hands down.icon10.gif

Happy Cruising,

Alan

Those words are very well spoken. Royal Caribbean was never the most expensive one though. Just a notch below the outrageous prices and a notch above the discount prices. But that's my problem: I love the Royal Caribbean ships - small and big; I love their personnel.

So, in the mean time I enjoy Royal Caribbean and stay away from the whiners and complainers, and from the art auctions, and from open dinning, and from Bingo....and I create the "old" cruise experience as much as I can.

I have yet to have a cruise where I was disappointed. :D

Due to infaltion you are getting more bang for your buck.

your 1993 cruise would cost over $1400.00 today, the $1099.00 cruise would have cost about $800.00 in 1993. The price of a cruise has not kept up with inflation. so you do get a huge

bang for your buck today

My sentiments. Well said. Lower prices did not only bring the things you mentioned (art auctions, soda cards etc) but also cruisers who are whining about the least important things. There was a time when you appreciated to be on a cruise ship and very little could take away from the pleasure of cruising. Nowadays a lot of the "me first" and the "me only" society has entered.

I really wish that Royal Caribbean would pull the prices a little higher to distinguish itself again. In the mean time: I still enjoy cruising and 'fight' the constant whiners. :D

In September, my wife and I cruised to Alaska aboard the Radiance; the cruise began at Vancouver on 9/14 and ended at San Pedro on 9/28. The day before we disembarked, I remember a meeting all the passengers had with the Captain and the Hotel Manager in the theater. Amid all the thank-you's, praises, etc. for a job well done, there were those who bellyached about issues so small compared to all we enjoyed throughout the prior two weeks. That's human nature I guess.:(

I have enjoyed every vacation I have ever been on. My secret? Im on vacation, not working, and am seeing a part of the world I chose to see...little things will not deter me from relaxing and enjoying that fact.

But I see people "whining and complaining" about people who whine and complain waaaay too much. Sometimes criticising things you wish were improved, leads to improvements. sometimes not, but you have a right to comment.

I think age is the largest cause for these diferences of opinions..and dont fool yourself into thinking that raising the prices will bring "more affluent" travelers.....there are plenty of people that have money that still feel they have the right to complain if something isnt the way they hoped...

but alot of people on here want to make it about income.....you make more, then you must be a more affluent traveler....

Due to infaltion you are getting more bang for your buck.

your 1993 cruise would cost over $1400.00 today, the $1099.00 cruise would have cost about $800.00 in 1993. The price of a cruise has not kept up with inflation. so you do get a huge

bang for your buck today

Exactly what I was going to say. You are definitely getting more bang for your buck. Perhaps some of the little things you liked have gone away, but you still have a great cruise at an extremely affordable price. Happy sails to all!:)

Unfortunately....it appears that the cruise lines are trying to reach more people to fill their larger ships and to do it, they have to keep the cost (the fare) down to attract the less affluent traveler.....:)

Being one of the less affluent travelers, I am GRATEFUL!!

I have enjoyed every vacation I have ever been on. My secret? Im on vacation, not working, and am seeing a part of the world I chose to see...little things will not deter me from relaxing and enjoying that fact.

But I see people "whining and complaining" about people who whine and complain waaaay too much. Sometimes criticising things you wish were improved, leads to improvements. sometimes not, but you have a right to comment.

I think age is the largest cause for these diferences of opinions..and dont fool yourself into thinking that raising the prices will bring "more affluent" travelers.....there are plenty of people that have money that still feel they have the right to complain if something isnt the way they hoped...

but alot of people on here want to make it about income.....you make more, then you must be a more affluent traveler....

I don't think it has so much to do with money and being rich. 10-20-30 years back, cruising was affordable. You just had to save a little longer. Complainers and whiners you find in every spectrum of social standings.

The problem is two-fold: In my opinion, the dumping of cruise prices (which of course came with the building of bigger and bigger ships) made travel to people who just never traveled before or had a hard time to travel because of financial difficulties. Not having been exposed to travel other than cruising, their exposure to a large group of people and foreign countries were very limited. That's when you hear complains about the sellers on flea markets are to pushy, and everything is better in America.

The other group is not being able to realize that a cruise line is taking care of some 2000 to 3000 people on any given day is news to them. People expect dumpster prices and when they pick up a cruise for 300 dollars they expect that everybody caters to them. About every little bit is complained: no lobster, want my own booze, we are 5 minutes late docking, the ship is rocking to much, I bring a virus on board and sue the cruise line for it, we miss a port because of a storm, ..yada..yada..yada...

And then of course you got the group of families who are using cruise ships as a baby sitter without courtesy and manner towards fellow cruisers. And as a parent myself that is probably my biggest beef with cruise lines. Kids are being dumped off at every single whirl pool and thats where they stay all day long. Mom and dad totally disregarding that maybe other cruiser would like to enjoy such facilities. Kids are being let loose around the pool area, running and jumping, running into people, splattering the water everywhere. I have seen several times where kids were running around and into people carrying food and drinks. I remember when my son grew up, I tried my hardest to teach him behavior in public, courtesy, and manners. Somewhere in society it got lost. But a cruise ship with its dumping prices has become a micro cosmos of today's society. The "Me, Me, Me".

I still enjoy my cruises though. I don't complain, I don't even get aggravated. Usually, stuff like that I smile over and have another drink. Because I can. 5 dollars more per person won't break my budget (fuel surcharge hint ;)) There some things I can change and some I can't.

The cruising population has definitely changed. Part of it is probably affordability and the other part is just society in general. Fact is that cruisers a decade or two ago were in general just more appreciative than they are today and had more considerations towards others than today and could handle adversity much much better than they can do today.

My first cruise was also on the Monarch in '93. IIRC, they had art auctions, soda cards, Bingo . . . I don't remember temporary tatoos, though.

I don't think it has so much to do with money and being rich. 10-20-30 years back, cruising was affordable. You just had to save a little longer. Complainers and whiners you find in every spectrum of social standings.

The problem is two-fold: In my opinion, the dumping of cruise prices (which of course came with the building of bigger and bigger ships) made travel to people who just never traveled before or had a hard time to travel because of financial difficulties. Not having been exposed to travel other than cruising, their exposure to a large group of people and foreign countries were very limited. That's when you hear complains about the sellers on flea markets are to pushy, and everything is better in America.

The other group is not being able to realize that a cruise line is taking care of some 2000 to 3000 people on any given day is news to them. People expect dumpster prices and when they pick up a cruise for 300 dollars they expect that everybody caters to them. About every little bit is complained: no lobster, want my own booze, we are 5 minutes late docking, the ship is rocking to much, I bring a virus on board and sue the cruise line for it, we miss a port because of a storm, ..yada..yada..yada...

And then of course you got the group of families who are using cruise ships as a baby sitter without courtesy and manner towards fellow cruisers. And as a parent myself that is probably my biggest beef with cruise lines. Kids are being dumped off at every single whirl pool and thats where they stay all day long. Mom and dad totally disregarding that maybe other cruiser would like to enjoy such facilities. Kids are being let loose around the pool area, running and jumping, running into people, splattering the water everywhere. I have seen several times where kids were running around and into people carrying food and drinks. I remember when my son grew up, I tried my hardest to teach him behavior in public, courtesy, and manners. Somewhere in society it got lost. But a cruise ship with its dumping prices has become a micro cosmos of today's society. The "Me, Me, Me".

I still enjoy my cruises though. I don't complain, I don't even get aggravated. Usually, stuff like that I smile over and have another drink. Because I can. 5 dollars more per person won't break my budget (fuel surcharge hint ;)) There some things I can change and some I can't.

The cruising population has definitely changed. Part of it is probably affordability and the other part is just society in general. Fact is that cruisers a decade or two ago were in general just more appreciative than they are today and had more considerations towards others than today and could handle adversity much much better than they can do today.

Well Said!

Monarch doesnt offer all the same services and additions that the newer ships have so the prices have stayed lower...we are paying $169 pp for a cruise in April on Monarch...4 nights...

Not sure why the cost of an inside cabin was $1000+ for a 7 night cruise when you went in 1993...we werent cruising then but if that was the cost of an interior on Monarch then I am glad we waiting until a couple years ago to start cruising

Repo cruises are typically available at pretty good rates anyways...

We are going on our first cruise on RCI during christmas. Our only other cruise experience was three years ago during spring break on Carnival. On that cruise a friend chose the ship. We had kids the same age and she chose this sail due to their touting of excellent childrens programs.

My husband equated the cruise to an extended stay at a walmart. Hated the constant cruise anouncments for the next sale, art sale, drink of the day, shore planning....

This cruise is a planned one by other family who has assurred me that RCI is not even in the same league as carnival.

I have been reading up on these posts and wonder if this is true.

We are paying 10k just for two balcony rooms (E1)

So figure over 1000 per day for 177 ft rms. with a 45 ft bal.

I'm just hoping that our cruise for xmas does give us a little extras because for this cost we really could stay just about anywhere during christmas at a four or five star resort and yes this would include five star food, entertainment and a pool /beach that did not have chairs that are lined up next to each other, just ok food, no crab or lobster, .. and the ability to do what we want.

I do trust my family members opinion and hope to come back with rave reviews of our sail on AOS. I have also planned some very unique shore excursions that are very expensive but will make up for the days at sea should they turn out to be the walmart experience that Carnival provided and many others post on this site re RCI's AOS. These day trips have almost doubled our cost but I think it worth it.

I figure that if someone has a good time they will tell one person and bad time 10 people but also realize that on this forum we are talking about many who are weighing thier cost of vacation vs. satisfaction for services rendered.

Those who paid 1000 vs. 10,000 may be much happier with vacation received.

On the Carnival cruise we were able to book suites with 220 ft. wrap around balconies and kids rooms with 100 sq ft balconies that opened up to our rooms when we wanted. Cost for cruise was half the cost of our xmas RCI cruise.

The carnival cruise was also high demand, high cost and sold out time of year. The rooms resembeled a hotel experience in that there was enough space and a view of water with a balcony that one could actually lay on a lounger and see the ocean.

Our kids had fun, hated the kids club but loved doing things with us, thus I felt obligated to do even more with them than usual as there was no beach, just over crowded, rowdy drunken pools and a sea of craziness.

They enjoyed the evening shows but always had a little to say afterward about how they thought it was like a high school play that was trying to be something else. Granted our kids do see the best of shows and so they were comparing apples to oranges.

Whenever I let them roam around it was virtually impossible to find them. this resulted in frustration and much wasted looking time on both parents and kids part.

When we are at a mall or on vacation we have cell phones that we can hook up with to find each other. On a ship we have walkie talkies that no matter how much one spends do not work because we eventually had about a million mom I need u calls that were not for me.

We tried to keep meeting times but this was also frustrating for kids and parents.

I almost wonder if people who think their kids are just fine and would never be naughty little run abouts love the cruise thing because nobody ever confronts their bad parenting thus bad behavior of their kids or perhaps not bad parenting but inability to find their kids because they have no way to keep track of them.

As a parent of teens and children I feel that it is extremely important to know where my kids are. I love to give them space but also find comfort in being able to talk to them and find out what they're up to. The inablity to call my kids and touch base via a cell phone while on vacation actually caused me more grief than the freedom of what the cruise line sells us, mom and dad off on their own while kids are having the safe time of their lives.

Anyways, I hope that our upcoming cruise and first land vacation to the Caribbean will be the best. I booked an extra couple weeks at caribbean destinations just in case the cruise thing turns out to be what we experienced during our past cruise.

I'll post a review either way to either rant or rave about RCI or the cruise experience itself.

My hope is that on our christmas vacation we will experience an old fashioned cruise with the new fashioned ships and gas prices.

We are going on our first cruise on RCI during christmas. Our only other cruise experience was three years ago during spring break on Carnival. On that cruise a friend chose the ship. We had kids the same age and she chose this sail due to their touting of excellent childrens programs.

My husband equated the cruise to an extended stay at a walmart. Hated the constant cruise anouncments for the next sale, art sale, drink of the day, shore planning....

This cruise is a planned one by other family who has assurred me that RCI is not even in the same league as carnival.

I have been reading up on these posts and wonder if this is true.

We are paying 10k just for two balcony rooms (E1)

So figure over 1000 per day for 177 ft rms. with a 45 ft bal.

I'm just hoping that our cruise for xmas does give us a little extras because for this cost we really could stay just about anywhere during christmas at a four or five star resort and yes this would include five star food, entertainment and a pool /beach that did not have chairs that are lined up next to each other, just ok food, no crab or lobster, .. and the ability to do what we want.

I do trust my family members opinion and hope to come back with rave reviews of our sail on AOS. I have also planned some very unique shore excursions that are very expensive but will make up for the days at sea should they turn out to be the walmart experience that Carnival provided and many others post on this site re RCI's AOS. These day trips have almost doubled our cost but I think it worth it.

I figure that if someone has a good time they will tell one person and bad time 10 people but also realize that on this forum we are talking about many who are weighing thier cost of vacation vs. satisfaction for services rendered.

Those who paid 1000 vs. 10,000 may be much happier with vacation received.

On the Carnival cruise we were able to book suites with 220 ft. wrap around balconies and kids rooms with 100 sq ft balconies that opened up to our rooms when we wanted. Cost for cruise was half the cost of our xmas RCI cruise.

The carnival cruise was also high demand, high cost and sold out time of year. The rooms resembeled a hotel experience in that there was enough space and a view of water with a balcony that one could actually lay on a lounger and see the ocean.

Our kids had fun, hated the kids club but loved doing things with us, thus I felt obligated to do even more with them than usual as there was no beach, just over crowded, rowdy drunken pools and a sea of craziness.

They enjoyed the evening shows but always had a little to say afterward about how they thought it was like a high school play that was trying to be something else. Granted our kids do see the best of shows and so they were comparing apples to oranges.

Whenever I let them roam around it was virtually impossible to find them. this resulted in frustration and much wasted looking time on both parents and kids part.

When we are at a mall or on vacation we have cell phones that we can hook up with to find each other. On a ship we have walkie talkies that no matter how much one spends do not work because we eventually had about a million mom I need u calls that were not for me.

We tried to keep meeting times but this was also frustrating for kids and parents.

I almost wonder if people who think their kids are just fine and would never be naughty little run abouts love the cruise thing because nobody ever confronts their bad parenting thus bad behavior of their kids or perhaps not bad parenting but inability to find their kids because they have no way to keep track of them.

As a parent of teens and children I feel that it is extremely important to know where my kids are. I love to give them space but also find comfort in being able to talk to them and find out what they're up to. The inablity to call my kids and touch base via a cell phone while on vacation actually caused me more grief than the freedom of what the cruise line sells us, mom and dad off on their own while kids are having the safe time of their lives.

Anyways, I hope that our upcoming cruise and first land vacation to the Caribbean will be the best. I booked an extra couple weeks at caribbean destinations just in case the cruise thing turns out to be what we experienced during our past cruise.

I'll post a review either way to either rant or rave about RCI or the cruise experience itself.

My hope is that on our christmas vacation we will experience an old fashioned cruise with the new fashioned ships and gas prices.

I LOVE cruising, but $1000 a day? Not for me. I hope that budget includes the extra costs you will incur on the ship--soda package? tips? drinks? purchases? Hope you don't come back with another $1000+ on your credit card.

I had another thought as I read your post. There was a thread recently about crime on cruise ships. You might want to read up on that and be aware of what dangers kids face as they roam around on cruise ships without their parents.

I'm not a negative person, but my positiveness departed from me on this one. Sorry.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Archived