Just back on the Golden

griswalds

Just a few comments on our recent 7 day Mexican cruise out of LA. Both embarcation and disembarcation were very fast. We were off the ship before 8 am with our own carry off luggage. Princess is becoming more bland after each cruise. The pizza was the best followed by the burgers. The large lobster tail is now gone and you get 3 mini-lobster tails that appeared fried and not boiled? The bed was not good, so we tried the egg crates which made the bed worse in our opinion, sore backs, so we went back to a bed with a great divider between us. Room steward was excellent. Shows were bad. We did have late seating not by choice so we ended up with PC dining. Dining room service ranged from excellent to poor depending on who we got. We tried 3 different ways to cancel our late fixed seating but kept being told we were at the wrong place, so we finally just gave up. We also tried the stirling stakehouse and it was ok, but not great. Pop card was $27 + gratuity and they really pushed the wine tasting event, we passed. You could bring wine on board and we saw people bring cases of beer as well. We also brought a bottle of cabowabo on board at Cabo but I think they just missed it when we ran it though the scanner. Not to worry though as it was gift for someone back home.

We attended a wedding on the ship and the Captain performed a very nice ceremony.

The buffet areas do not flow well and at times they were very crowded. Often we left the buffet with no food as a result of a poor selection and went for the pizza which was awesome. The ship was very smooth and we had great weather. We would have liked to have had more time in Cabo but the ship left around 1 PM so it was a very short stay. Overall it was just an average cruise, back to RCI in February.

Griswalds

We sailed on the Golden 11/3 sailing... We experienced almost the same things you did... we had a good time, but still noticed a decline in service (nothing was consistent).

Loved the burgers and pizza also... making me hungry just thinking about it.

Second time sailing her for us as we were first aboard in 2001. Course that was her inaugural year and I failed to realize that when we booked again this year. All I can say is big difference in the 6 year span as to service and quality of food. Can understand the wear and tear on the ship but they did do the best they could to always be cleaning, varnishing, repairing etc.

Really enjoyed the Desert Rose Steakhouse as the food and service reminded us of how cruising USE TO BE! Now it seems you pay extra for that level of service.

Did breakfast and one lunch in the dining room....very good!

PC dining left much to be desired to say the least. Food and service way below par.

Loved the burgers, fries, pizza and hot dogs by the pool. Very yummy and always served hot!

Great comedian Keven Hughes on board --both shows were very good.

Caught a couple of movies in the Princess Theatre during the afternoon.

Just a few comments on our recent 7 day Mexican cruise out of LA. Both embarcation and disembarcation were very fast. We were off the ship before 8 am with our own carry off luggage. Princess is becoming more bland after each cruise. The pizza was the best followed by the burgers. The large lobster tail is now gone and you get 3 mini-lobster tails that appeared fried and not boiled? The bed was not good, so we tried the egg crates which made the bed worse in our opinion, sore backs, so we went back to a bed with a great divider between us. Room steward was excellent. Shows were bad. We did have late seating not by choice so we ended up with PC dining. Dining room service ranged from excellent to poor depending on who we got. We tried 3 different ways to cancel our late fixed seating but kept being told we were at the wrong place, so we finally just gave up. We also tried the stirling stakehouse and it was ok, but not great. Pop card was $27 + gratuity and they really pushed the wine tasting event, we passed. You could bring wine on board and we saw people bring cases of beer as well. We also brought a bottle of cabowabo on board at Cabo but I think they just missed it when we ran it though the scanner. Not to worry though as it was gift for someone back home.

We attended a wedding on the ship and the Captain performed a very nice ceremony.

The buffet areas do not flow well and at times they were very crowded. Often we left the buffet with no food as a result of a poor selection and went for the pizza which was awesome. The ship was very smooth and we had great weather. We would have liked to have had more time in Cabo but the ship left around 1 PM so it was a very short stay. Overall it was just an average cruise, back to RCI in February. Griswalds

griswalds - HOLY CRAP! You pretty much summed up my three page review in one paragraph!! Standby for heavy seas because you are going to get flamed!! Before the thread was closed by a monitor I was getting beaten to death for the exact same comments you made! I know it is closed but do a search for my screen name and see if you can find my review for our Golden Princess sailing on 3 November. You will be surprised by what you read I promise you that!!

Yes, the date of the cruise was from Saturday, Nov 10th to the 17th, 2007.

Kevin Hughes was on the ship and he was funny, but we had already heard him once before on Princess so they move these guys around a lot. His was the only show to see. I am told his contract was not renewed by Princess and that this was his last cruise....he commented on them flying him home at the end of the cruise.

We were on the Grand 3 or 4 years few year back and their entertainment was the best - incredible, we made the mistake of expecting the same level this time.

One other annoyance I should mention are these coupon books. We received two coupon books from the online booking agency and one "passport" from Princess. We found all 3 coupon books to be a nuisance and we ended up not using any of the coupons as you had to buy specific items which we didn't really want. As well we rec'd a "voucher" for a free 6 by 8 causal photo but could not use on the "formal" photo" that we really wanted, not even as a partial credit so it went unused. I often use coupons at home but I really did not find these coupon books of any use. I would rather have had one free drink instead of all the "freebie" coupons and vouchers.

Did I mention Princess (mini-suite) does have the best bathtub...it truly was nice.

Griswalds

To Bobbyd6363

As recommended I looked at your earlier review, well done. It made me think of a few other items.

1. I agree with your comment that the ship is designed a bit odd and it was not easy to "navigate" your way around. My DW commented on this more than once as well.

2. We usually exercise each day in the Gym but not on this ship. I don't understand why cruise ships don't buy the same exercise equipment as you find in most Gym's. The equipment was poor and the room was very small and thus crowded. No one was cleaning their equipment off after using it either...

3. This is the first time ever we did not go to the life jacket evacuation - drill. I thought it was mandatory but the announcement indicated it was at your discretion so we waited in the cabin for the evacuation police to come and take us away. They never came....? I was most surprised that we did not have to go. As this was cruise number 13, we felt lucky regardless.

Griswalds

Thank You griswalds for making that clear as we were on the previous week and....

Here is my opinion on this cruise 11/03/07 - 11/10/107

Pre-Cruise

We stayed at the Westin Long Beach and although it was in a great location and nice area within walking distance to all Restuarants, We didn't really care for it. If we had not gotten such A good rate I would not stay again. I felt the room to be your standard 2 double bed and nothing special, No fan in bathroom, No balconies, No free shuttle service, They charge hotel guests a parking fee and not even A continental breakfast.... The pool area run down and this is billed to be A 5 star Hotel.... If big beutiful atriums and decor of the commom areas are your thing than this is the place...

We stayed at the Quality Inn orlando Airport the night before our flight to LAX and they were clean and had 2 queen beds, Nicley landscaped pool area, balonies, free continental breakfast in an open seating area, Free shuttle service to the area and airport, Free parking of our car for 8 days.... Now this is my kinda place for only $69 per night.... Hey!! We only need to sleep there.... But the little extras are nice....

Embarkation

We had friends of ours take us to the port around noon and there were hardley any lines and were on within 10 min...

Side Note: To those wondering if you can bring beer onboard.... I tested what I have read on these boards... I bought an 18 pack of Bud cans and put A luggage tag on it and asked the porter if this can get to my cabin and he said no problem, I tipped him and went on my way thinking yeah that will be the last I see of that... Not so... To my amazement it not only arrived But was the first piece of luggage that arrived Nice!!!

Ship Details

Found this ship hard to navigate... We were on the Island Princess 2 yrs ago and thought this would be about the same... Not even close.... We found that our favorite spot to go for pre-Dinner drinks was the Martini bar on deck 7 which is really called the promanade bar on the deck plans and still don't really know what it is called, But they made the best lemon drop martini's on the ship... We found nothing was ever clearly marked as to what loung you were at.... we looked on the side of the doors,Behind the doors and found no signs ever... Hmm.. Maybe I'm going blind...

Dining

We also chose anytime dining and we did like it.... We never really had A problem getting A drink order before dinner, But they never really asked if I needed another either and that empty glass would sit there for 1/2 the meal, Never on any cruise have I had this happen.... The food is very subjective as on any line and thought it was good.. The prime rib on the 1st night I thought was excellent as was the escargot, Beef Wellington, lobster tails and prawns... The problem here stemed from service... The waiters would take our order from around the table and would forget who orderd what... ok is that not what they make A pen and pencil for? Even when they wrote it down they got it wrong... Example of many: My wife and I both orderd 2 Escargot a piece and only received 1 and the waiter wrote it down....

There were times where I got the crap scared out of me and the waiters hand would come over my shoulder and grab A plate without even an excuse me or any word or warning... Throughout the cruise I anticipated this move and trust me it happend alot and kept my eye on them only to be outwitted during mid conversation...

Smiles!! everyone Smiles!!! Not really... Some did some didn't... Not even A greeting at times.... They would come up take the napkin put it on your lap and hand you A menu....

We got really lucky on the 6th night of our cruise by finding Jorge and Leo (table 61) in the Donatello dining room. They were awesome! These two pulled it together and provided us service that had been sorely missing all week! We were so thrilled we immediately reserved their table for the next night too! Jorge sang to us and made jokes. He even teamed up with several of Our group to play a joke on our friend and another of our party! My hat is off to Jorge and Leo for saving our cruise!

Horizon Court .... This seemed to be bottle necked and from what I observed most people thought there was A Line, But really was not.... There were 2 entrances into the buffet stations that were not clearly marked.. Most times I would just skip getting in line for A plate and mill about to see if I wanted someting 1st...My wife did find and have some good selections of food including the smoked fish that was excellent along with the Ribs... We skipped out on the dining room one night and ate here and thought the food was good not excellent but ok..... Again service came into play... no smiles no greeting....

Pizza... As always the Pizza on Princess is the best and looked foward to it and on the most part was very good, But found it to be inconsistent unlike the Island princess there were times it was under cooked and unedible and the same person was always baking it on the most part and had to throw it away and wait and go back and it was very good again.....

Desert Rose... We ate here with several other couples and the food and service were awesome for $15pp can not be missed the 10oz filet was done to perfection the prawns (giant shrimp) Biggest I ever saw were excellent.. Service.... Outstanding with smiles and greetings.... I also I find it sad that you have to pay to get great service that has in all previous cruises been there throught the ship.... Enough on dining... any questins ask

Entertainment

The comedian kevin Hughs is not to be missied, His show is called Relationships and is in 2 parts and is the funniest comedian I have seen in A long time...

We went to a ventriloquist show and thought it was hokey and not very good besides the lights being brought up and stayed on blinding you for all the late straglers was annoying as were the people coming in 1/2 hour late and so we decided to leave....

The pool area band was ok, but I guess I'm not into mexican music.... Thought the pipied in top 20's was way better and when the band came on we either left or tuned them out... I know this was A mexican Riviera cruise and the band I guess should be in the theme of things I just didn't think they were very good at all...

Purser’s Desk

Purser’s Desk service was pretty darn cold and impersonal. I have met nicer people at an emergency room check in desk! Not a single smile in the bunch! Not even a hello or how are you! These people ARE the front line faces for Princess Cruises. Don’t you think they should give “EXCELLENT” service? Morticians are warmer.

I should also make it known that we had the auto tips removed because of the lack of service and tipped who we felt deserved it in cash.... 1st cruise I ever felt the need not to tip because of poor service.... This is sad and autotip I feel is to blame..... Back to what we observed

our cabin attendant was lacking in getting ice that we had requested twice at 1st and needed to remind him with A note that we requested to have 2 buckets of ice filled at all times... At 1st only one then had to call for the other several times... requested 2 bathrobes and only got 1 the next day.... The second day I noticed that we never received our coupon booklet that others in our group had received from our TA and asked allen about it and he said he would check into it and get back with us... He never followed through even though I asked for several days... Would have went to the pursers desk but after what we have seen from them I knew I would get nowhere and gave up and called it a loss... He only did what was needed in the cabin and we barely saw him most of the cruise... Until the last night when he decided to talk up a storm about how he was on for 10 months and will now be off for 10 months... Ok that explains the lack of service, But he was ok and did tip him in cash

Room service.... This was another area that was inconsitent.... We had filled out the breakfast card every night and set it out... food came on time but things were always missing.... This was not the blame of the person that brought it so I still tipped, but 1 morn I held the door open for the staff person delivering the order and she was rude and said you need to move in a nasty tone... you get the idea... enough of that...

Ports

Puerto Vallarta

We did the El Eden Zipline with some of our group and found that this one is pretty extreme in the amount of climbing you need to do up steep steps and I mean alot of steps... you ziped off and no sooner were you walking up a crapload of steps sweating and panting and really never had the time to stop and look at the sceenery... It was fun zipping but not climbing....On the site we booked from it did not mention how in shape you need to be... Our neighbors in the cabin above us did the ship sponsored zipline tour and said it was nowhere as extreme as what we had done... Not sure I would do it again...

The vendors near the port area were very aggresive and if you were looking for lets say a certain t-shirt in purple they had you come into their store and try and sell you anything but and then chase you running in front of you shoving other stuff in your face... They are willing to bargain, But they start off ridiculously high $28 and buy the time they are ready to sell they drop to about $8

Mazatlan

We had done A tour with Mazatlan Frank and this guy is awesome as is his tour, He gave us alot of hints about shopping and followed them... We Felt very safe with frank and he would even help us bargain in the stores.... This is were the vendors came in again... We stopped to see the cliff divers (not to be missed) But the vendors were like vultars they swarmed you stuffing there wares in your face and were almost chasing our bus as it left....

Cabo San Lucas

My wife and I had decided before we left on this cruise that we were going to Medano Beach and The office and did on the recommendation of friends of ours that have been there before... we were not hungry so we just walked the beach and it is A nice looking beach.... About the same we have here in Florida with one exception: The timeshare people, We just didn't look at them and or would say no thanks and that was that.... We met up with some in our group and sat off to the left side of the office and that is where the relentless vendors started again...

We would be in mid-conversation and have to constantly say no thanks, But it didn't end there the exact same people would circle and come back and keep it up like in the past 5 min we changed our minds or we didn't see you just 5 min ago....

Hint: If you have sun glasses wear them and at least the guy trying to sell them will leave you alone..My wife pointed this out and I took them out and wore them and they stopped

Hint: don't wear alot of jewlery... They think you have money and want more....

Summary

I really can't put my finger on it, But would have to say this if it makes any sense.... I feel that overall the only thing that was consistent about this ship and crew was how consisent they were about being inconsistent

Overall on A scale of 1-10 I would give this cruise a 5, But individual wise I would give the golden princees as A ship a 7.... the food a 7 .... The service a 2 .... The ports a 4..... I can't and won't say that we won't sail princess again but may think twice... I can say that overall we did not like Mexico and will not return... I undersatand that the people who live there are a poor people and need to make a living, But at what expense to the tourist.. We are glad we went and saw how another culture lives, But we just prefer the Caribbean ports better and yes including Jamaica... Just an FYI We would go back to Hawaii again in a heartbeat

Yes, the date of the cruise was from Saturday, Nov 10th to the 17th, 2007.

One other annoyance I should mention are these coupon books. We received two coupon books from the online booking agency and one "passport" from Princess. We found all 3 coupon books to be a nuisance and we ended up not using any of the coupons as you had to buy specific items which we didn't really want. As well we rec'd a "voucher" for a free 6 by 8 causal photo but could not use on the "formal" photo" that we really wanted, not even as a partial credit so it went unused. I often use coupons at home but I really did not find these coupon books of any use. I would rather have had one free drink instead of all the "freebie" coupons and vouchers. Griswalds

griswalds - you know I forgot about that darn coupon book! I looked through it and found there was nothing I could use the coupons for! For instance there was one that if you spent $300 you got 10% off your purchase! Well isnt that just generous of them! LOL! I am being facetious so ignore me! We did find use for one coupon - the $10 off the cruise video! We used that one!

To Bobbyd6363

As recommended I looked at your earlier review, well done. It made me think of a few other items.

1. I agree with your comment that the ship is designed a bit odd and it was not easy to "navigate" your way around. My DW commented on this more than once as well.

Did you happen to catch the comments to my exact same review item from some of our fellow CC posters that basically said I was retarded for not being able to find my way around?

2. We usually exercise each day in the Gym but not on this ship. I don't understand why cruise ships don't buy the same exercise equipment as you find in most Gym's. The equipment was poor and the room was very small and thus crowded. No one was cleaning their equipment off after using it either...

Yeah the Golden Princess's gym was tiny! I prefer the fitness centers on the RCL Voyager class ships - I cant wait to see what the fitness centers are like on the Freedom class ships next year!

3. This is the first time ever we did not go to the life jacket evacuation - drill. I thought it was mandatory but the announcement indicated it was at your discretion so we waited in the cabin for the evacuation police to come and take us away. They never came....? I was most surprised that we did not have to go. As this was cruise number 13, we felt lucky regardless. Griswalds

WOW! I am sure you read the flaming comments I got when I scoffed at the ship's ability to account for everyone during the muster drill!

Bobby,

Sorry you were flamed.

I've been on the Diamond 3x and the Sapphire 1x. Both similar ships to the Golden.

Here's the trick I've learned: Get an aft cabin on Aloha deck. Walk up one flight for the buffet.

Aft pool is a hop, skip, and a jump from your cabin.

When you need to go midship, you can only go one way, so no going the wrong way.

When returning, ask somebody if you're going towards the aft. If not, turn around and go the other way. ;):D

I can finally leave my room without getting lost. :eek:

Happy Cruising,

Jill

Jill,

I noticed your 2 next planned cruises are Hawaii.....

Just curious, is that your favorite? Why?

We just got off the Diamond, and we LOVED it. So much so, that we are already thinking about Hawaii again :D

We're West Coasters and live close to the pier. We were doing a lot of Mex Riv cruises, but now I keep my eye out for good cruise fares to Hawaii. Love being on the sea for 2 weeks!! The ship is our destination.

We sleep late and when we went to Alaska we didn't see too much. Had a great cruise and loved the local stores in port, but it wasn't worth the extra cost of flying. (At least not for us.) We'd rather put the extra money towards cruising. :D

Our first cruise to Hawaii was disappointing to us because we expected a tropical island similar to the Caribbean. But each time we've returned we have discovered something new, and now we're hooked.

Our last cruise we slept in late and then went to a nearby beach and just relaxed. It was our best time yet.

(In Mexico there are too many vendors, so for now, we're sticking with Hawaii.)

We love the Diamond Princess. I hope the Golden proves to be as good.

Happy Cruising,

Jill

Archived